2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 LCI Fully Electric seat retrofit instead of semi-electric

03-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
dkaltanas@yahoo.co.uk
Dovydas112
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

F10 LCI Fully Electric seat retrofit instead of semi-electric

Trying to figure out what is needed to do such a conversion from semi electric to fully electric sport seats, also from non heated to heated.

Have been searching around with some luck on finding information regarding heating retrofit but nothing on electric seat retrofit!

From my current research everyone is saying that the connectors are different and may be missing some? If so how can this be changed or what is required? Im sure it should be able to be done as the seats themselves have all the motors, controls and just need power?

Any input is highly appreciated as my current seats are damaged and need changing but want to be sure it's possible to do before purchasing fully electric seats!

Also I am aware seats will need to be from LCI model as they are not interchangeable between lci and pre lci.

Car is a 2015 LCI BMW F11
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
eghmsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport 6sp manual

Look for the E90 seat swaps. Basiclly the same but the F10 has an updated larger seat module. I did a M3 seat swap on my son's 2006 E90 325i with 2012 M3 seats and it had the same larger white seat module that I have in my 2011 550i.

He had the orange and green Kcan-H and Kcan-L wires for the memory drivers seat but none on passenger seat. I ran new kcan wires from the driver seat to the passenger seat through wire loom. The Kcan wires send a signal every so often to keep the seat module awake or it will stop working.

You will need to pin out your seat connector from you car side and the seat side to verify the wires are in which location. I found from year to year and even different models, can have the positive (red), ground earth (brown) and some of the other wires for the lumbar switches in slightly different locations in the seat connector (x279).
You may need to add an additional power or ground to the passenger seat depending on the seat side wiring. Some car side wiring have 2 power and 2 ground wires. I think it is the power lumbar is on a different circuit.

If the seat needs 2 from the car side and IF the wire on the seat side is a small guage wire, I think usually for lumbar, then most people have tapped into the power wire on the seat side to avoid running a new power wire and keep the install clean and factory looking. Same for the ground.
Heated seats may need a separate power and grounds to avoid over loading the power too.

For heated seats I ha e seen where some have to code the car so the FRM module knows that there is now heated seats and few people did not. It seems most did have to code but it is still hit or miss on coding.

Eric
Appreciate 0