2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New BMW Owner! Feeling like a newb!

03-29-2021, 02:33 AM   #1
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

New BMW Owner! Feeling like a newb!

Hey all! Just got a 2014 BMW 550i M Sport. I'm in love with it! Never thought I would own a BMW let alone a v8 twin turbo.

I guess I am just looking for some advice. I sit in the car and look through the manual as well as looking up YouTube videos and forums and I am overwhelmed.

I know I have a few questions right off the bat. The headlights at night are not as bright as I'd like? Any ideas on making them brighter or how to upgrade? I think they are the normal led angel lights and I think hid lights (xenon white color)

I was also looking through the manual and it states that the instrument cluster should change depending on what mode I am in. It does not really. It only shows me extra gas info when in eco mode. In comfort or sports/+ modes, the clusters stay the same. Is the stock consol not able to change? I'm assuming I'll need to upgrade to the 6wb for those features.

And lastly, where and how do I get info on how to tune and code the car and stuff like with bummercode etc....

Thanks for any info!!

I live in Southern AZ so if anyone knows of a good shop or mechanic around Tucson or Phoenix, let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 05:24 AM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

The headlights that come with the F10 are marginal, IMO, and can be aimed a bit higher if you know how. My wife's Jaguar XE with the lighting package is noticeably better on dark roads. There are some threads that show how to aim the "automatic leveling" light mechanism properly. My local dealer didn't know this, so don't expect much from yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirho1987 View Post

And lastly, where and how do I get info on how to tune and code the car and stuff like with bummercode etc....
Go to the coding site:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/bm...ogramming.175/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Congrats welcome to forum
I use Bimmercode No issues
Good luck
      03-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...I think they are the normal led angel lights and I think hid lights (xenon white color)

Thanks for any info!!

LED headlights...all 4 “lamps” illuminate when low beams or high beams are illuminated and they have the “kind of” hex shaped AE (angel eyes). I think they also have LED written on them (at least on the 6 series they do). The HID (xenon) headlights are round.

The headlight assemblies below may not specifically come from the 5 series...but the F chassis BMWs (3/5/6/7/X3/X5) LEDS headlights are all similar in design...as well as the (round) HID/Xenon headlights:

1st pic below = LED headlights
2nd pic below = HID/Xenon headlights
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-29-2021 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Hey all! Just got a 2014 BMW 550i M Sport. I'm in love with it! Never thought I would own a BMW let alone a v8 twin turbo.

I guess I am just looking for some advice. I sit in the car and look through the manual as well as looking up YouTube videos and forums and I am overwhelmed.

I know I have a few questions right off the bat. The headlights at night are not as bright as I'd like? Any ideas on making them brighter or how to upgrade? I think they are the normal led angel lights and I think hid lights (xenon white color)

I was also looking through the manual and it states that the instrument cluster should change depending on what mode I am in. It does not really. It only shows me extra gas info when in eco mode. In comfort or sports/+ modes, the clusters stay the same. Is the stock consol not able to change? I'm assuming I'll need to upgrade to the 6wb for those features.

Thanks for any info!!

I live in Southern AZ so if anyone knows of a good shop or mechanic around Tucson or Phoenix, let me know!
Welcome to the forum!

Based on the picture that you shared (if that's your car), the lights are the adaptive LED headlights. But it looks like the headlights have a smoked tint on them, and the foglights also have red tint. So removing the tint/films would be a start to increasing brightness, along with aiming them properly.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:08 AM   #7
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Based on the picture that you shared (if that's your car), the lights are the adaptive LED headlights. But it looks like the headlights have a smoked tint on them, and the foglights also have red tint. So removing the tint/films would be a start to increasing brightness, along with aiming them properly.

That is my car, the day I bought it! Made some changes since. I noticed the tint on the lights the other day. Hoping to be able to remove the tint and see if it improves the lighting. I will also be looking into the auto leveling adjustments.
Appreciate 0