2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Noob F10 / N63 Questions

11-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Noob F10 / N63 Questions

Long time enthusiast member here (you can see list of past & current cars to left) but I’m considering a F10 in the distant future and had some initial questions.

1. LCI m-sports have led fog lights but are these not serviceable, i.e. can the bulb be replaced, or are they integrated into the housing?

2. Has anyone come up with a DP fix for the N63TU? I previously used a “smart” o2 simulator (name seems to get censored here). I know some tuners may offer CEL delete but I’m more concerned with emissions readiness. And speaking of tunes, what’s the consensus on stage 1 flash options?

Not looking for breaking dyno records but fun/safe/reliable for a daily sleeper

3. How much lower are the Dinan and ACS springs relative to factory M-sport? Numbers I’ve see quoted seem relative to non-M sport

4. Forget BMW recommended schedule, how often do owners here change oil on the N63TU? How often are you finding yourself topping off? Is the oil consumption on TU as bad as original N63?

5. Does anyone know if m5 control arms fit non-M models. On my old 135is I didn’t 1M control arms and m3 sway bar and it made a huge difference. After having test driven a F10, seems like it could benefit from the same mods.

6. How useful are the side and rear shades? Never owned a car with that feature and previously I would resort to simple window tinting.
      11-21-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
fakem5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Long time enthusiast member here (you can see list of past & current cars to left) but I’m considering a F10 in the distant future and had some initial questions.

1. LCI m-sports have led fog lights but are these not serviceable, i.e. can the bulb be replaced, or are they integrated into the housing?

2. Has anyone come up with a DP fix for the N63TU? I previously used a “smart” o2 simulator (name seems to get censored here). I know some tuners may offer CEL delete but I’m more concerned with emissions readiness. And speaking of tunes, what’s the consensus on stage 1 flash options?

Not looking for breaking dyno records but fun/safe/reliable for a daily sleeper

3. How much lower are the Dinan and ACS springs relative to factory M-sport? Numbers I’ve see quoted seem relative to non-M sport

4. Forget BMW recommended schedule, how often do owners here change oil on the N63TU? How often are you finding yourself topping off? Is the oil consumption on TU as bad as original N63?

5. Does anyone know if m5 control arms fit non-M models. On my old 135is I didn’t 1M control arms and m3 sway bar and it made a huge difference. After having test driven a F10, seems like it could benefit from the same mods.

6. How useful are the side and rear shades? Never owned a car with that feature and previously I would resort to simple window tinting.
Idk much about your other questions, but if u are trying to lower your car, I would opt for coilovers instead. The stock shocks make this car feel like an absolute boat and it's not a real driver feel whatsoever. For oil changes, I hear a lot of people change at 4k but I change at 5k because why not lol. Even with liqui moly I burn like crazy and have to top off. This is also with just daily driving as I have no time to race anymore
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Quote:
Entire fog light housing can be removed from the car, but the bulb cannot. Some of us here (including myself) have done the fog-light delete option because of personal aesthetics preference.

Quote:
Can't help you much here. I've personally avoided all tunes or engine mods. The N63 is barely stable and reliable as it is. I can't bare the thought that I contributed to its troubles. Lol.

Quote:
I had the Dinan's and remember them being far more conservative than ACS, but I would also recommend coilover setup as well (I have KW V3) or at least pick up a set of B6 struts along with the springs. You have far more options with non-xDrive models.

Quote:
I can't remember now for sure, but BMW recommended schedule is either 8K or 10K. I think you'll find most of us here do it every 5K/6 months. I solely use 5w30 Liqui Moly and similar to fakem5, mine needs topping every 3-4K no matter what.

Quote:
That's a no, they won't fit. The geometry of the axels is different between the M5 and non-M F10s. Folks here have "forced" the M5 sway bar on their cars, but it'll quickly f--- up your sway bar links (what happened in my case). If you want to get aftermarket sway bars, stick with non-xDrive models.

Quote:
Wasn't an option for my car and never thought "oh damn I wish I had those on my car", but then again my kids were already older when I bought the car and I don't live in a hot city.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Entire fog light housing can be removed from the car, but the bulb cannot. Some of us here (including myself) have done the fog-light delete option because of personal aesthetics preference.

Can't help you much here. I've personally avoided all tunes or engine mods. The N63 is barely stable and reliable as it is. I can't bare the thought that I contributed to its troubles. Lol.

I had the Dinan's and remember them being far more conservative than ACS, but I would also recommend coilover setup as well (I have KW V3) or at least pick up a set of B6 struts along with the springs. You have far more options with non-xDrive models.

I can't remember now for sure, but BMW recommended schedule is either 8K or 10K. I think you'll find most of us here do it every 5K/6 months. I solely use 5w30 Liqui Moly and similar to fakem5, mine needs topping every 3-4K no matter what.

That's a no, they won't fit. The geometry of the axels is different between the M5 and non-M F10s. Folks here have "forced" the M5 sway bar on their cars, but it'll quickly f--- up your sway bar links (what happened in my case). If you want to get aftermarket sway bars, stick with non-xDrive models.

Wasn't an option for my car and never thought "oh damn I wish I had those on my car", but then again my kids were already older when I bought the car and I don't live in a hot city.
Thank you sir for taking the time to answer all my questions. I will hold off on any tuning mods. The car in question is very low miles so I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of life left with the factory shocks. I just wanted to close the wheel gap ever since slightly. For whatever reason, the ACS springs are not easy to find and the one place that carries them is charging an absurd amount of over $1000.

I may look into the H&R springs that come with adjustable perches.
      11-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
wihaM5
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i ; BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 Bmw 550i  [0.00]
Okay so I just got my n63 11 550i. Just hitting 100k miles. I just did new colder plugs and Delphi coils. Oh also a L Moly oil change. And crankcase vacuum kit. Bmw told me I have one of the best examples of the 11 that he has seen in quite sometime. Lol he actually said I must have bought the car from a nun. Anyway I plan to do many mods this winter.
My huge question is does anyone know if the m5 turbo air coolers are a direct fit. I know the connection charge pipe and hoses would need to be updated but has anyone done this. Because that would be a much better cheaper route given that the n63 ones new are around 3k and you can get used m5 coolers for reasonable prices.