2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Has anyone used RaceChip tuning?

09-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #45
Kjellster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
On the Burgertuning website? If so, unfortunately the numbers for the E9x and F30s are not relevant for the F10. The gains out of the 5 series are always signifigantly lower than the 3 series, this held true for the E60s and now does for the F10s. Gains from the tune on the F10s ranges from 30-50, add DP, exhaust and filter and you may get to 70-90hp total gains.. But just a tune, you are not getting near 80+. Sad realization coming from 3 N54 powered cars.
I see on their webiste for the F10 550 is quotes with the Ultimate Tune: Up to 463 HP and 535 Ft/lb of Torque. No Dyno or other info provided. Thats all the info I know....
Oh and I see they have a 2 year warranty and a 14 day return policy on their tunes... Try it and if it doesnt please you send it back with in 14 days ? Why not?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #46
sanyomats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535, 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjellster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
On the Burgertuning website? If so, unfortunately the numbers for the E9x and F30s are not relevant for the F10. The gains out of the 5 series are always signifigantly lower than the 3 series, this held true for the E60s and now does for the F10s. Gains from the tune on the F10s ranges from 30-50, add DP, exhaust and filter and you may get to 70-90hp total gains.. But just a tune, you are not getting near 80+. Sad realization coming from 3 N54 powered cars.
I see on their webiste for the F10 550 is quotes with the Ultimate Tune: Up to 463 HP and 535 Ft/lb of Torque. No Dyno or other info provided. Thats all the info I know....
Oh and I see they have a 2 year warranty and a 14 day return policy on their tunes... Try it and if it doesnt please you send it back with in 14 days ? Why not?
Do they charge restocking fee?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
Kjellster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyomats View Post
I have no idea, but I would imagine they would.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #48
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyomats View Post
yes, its 20%...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #49
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klecha man View Post
No tapping into any wire. It's plugs into two sensors. IMO, it's much more organized the the JB4 tune, no wires all over the place.
Oh snap! Awesome. Thanks Tony.

I am still amazed that this relatively new company came out with a tune that is already rumored to out perform the BMS S-1
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #50
lstoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M Competition

My biggest concern is not only what the real dyno numbers will be, but how much R&D has been put into this... You can adjust things to execeed the JB4 tune fairly easily, but will it be reliable and safe?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #51
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstoker View Post
My biggest concern is not only what the real dyno numbers will be, but how much R&D has been put into this... You can adjust things to execeed the JB4 tune fairly easily, but will it be reliable and safe?
Exactly, you never know bro.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #52
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I emailed them today and had a response in 10 minutes. We emailed back and forth. Amazing customer service so far. Definitely faster and kinder responses vs BMS - thus far.

Response:

We are engineering our product in Germany and the N55 engines are not in particular difficult for us. Yes we are programming every module with an engine specific software and setting.

For this reason we don't offer a module for every engine until we have certified it. For example, the new GM ecotec engines are not released yet or the Mercedes 4.4 biturbos. We do testing and engineering before we start listing the product on our website.

We should have a chart on file that I can share with you. I will get back to about that tomorrow.

We opened a sales and support office in the US which is why we now can offer our product here. We recently won a euro tuner magazine review so you will see RaceChip more and more in the US. Having engineering in Germany where those engines are made is helpful of course.

Thanks
Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #53
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I also told them about how we use Mustang dynos here in most mod shops. Paul's response:

Been in touch with Tony about that group buy.
We use Maha dynos. That is the standard in Germany. And you know how the Germans are about engineering

Fyi, We have some internal training going on today that is why we have to defer to tomorrow on the email attachment for the chart.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #54
gre8tw8LL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1
I also told them about how we use Mustang dynos here in most mod shops. Paul's response:

Been in touch with Tony about that group buy.
We use Maha dynos. That is the standard in Germany. And you know how the Germans are about engineering

Fyi, We have some internal training going on today that is why we have to defer to tomorrow on the email attachment for the chart.
Keep us posted and thanks for the update
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust | M5 Diffuser| Painted Calipers & Reflectors | Black Gloss Grill | LED interior lights | Piaa Plasma Yellow Foglights | Born on 1/30/12
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #55
gre8tw8LL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba
Not yet. Been busy with work and have not heard back from the guys yet about when I could do this. I should give them another call.

MBA
Have you heard back from the dyno guys?
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust | M5 Diffuser| Painted Calipers & Reflectors | Black Gloss Grill | LED interior lights | Piaa Plasma Yellow Foglights | Born on 1/30/12
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #56
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

No and I have been quite busy so I havent followed on this. I would like to say that I initially made a mistake and changed the wrong settings on the chip. I realized this after contacting them and asking about the maximum settings. I am now more impressed with the tune. I am less interested in pursuing the dyno now. For the first time with my 20" 285 wide tires with the Sport + mode I am skidding sideways while going in a straight line!! This only happened to me once on a rainy day with DTC off before.. The car is now borderline unsafe to drive LOL... I haven't reached maximum settings yet, I think I may have 6 or more notches to go and I am thinking its enough for me. The tune still behaves linearly but is explosive!! There is little doubt in my mind that the burger tune is overshadowed by this. If anyone was skeptical I guarantee you wont be disappointed just make sure to increase the LEFT dial settings as the out of the box settings for me where too mild coming from the burger tune. To me this is GOLDEN..

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #57
iamkit
Private
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Does this also come with a built in DP CEL fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
No and I have been quite busy so I havent followed on this. I would like to say that I initially made a mistake and changed the wrong settings on the chip. I realized this after contacting them and asking about the maximum settings. I am now more impressed with the tune. I am less interested in pursuing the dyno now. For the first time with my 20" 285 wide tires with the Sport + mode I am skidding sideways while going in a straight line!! This only happened to me once on a rainy day with DTC off before.. The car is now borderline unsafe to drive LOL... I haven't reached maximum settings yet, I think I may have 6 or more notches to go and I am thinking its enough for me. The tune still behaves linearly but is explosive!! There is little doubt in my mind that the burger tune is overshadowed by this. If anyone was skeptical I guarantee you wont be disappointed just make sure to increase the LEFT dial settings as the out of the box settings for me where too mild coming from the burger tune. To me this is GOLDEN..

MBA
Do you have a pic of the cables that plug the tune box into the car? It sounds like a version of the JB+ for the F10. Those of you not familiar with the JB+, it was a very simple tune for the N54, it was a tune that only plugged into the TMAP sensor and only raised the boost in the car. Which it did work and up the power, but it was a very simple tune. And yes the JB+ had a dial on the box where you can raise or lower the boost settings, which is why this sounds familiar.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #59
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hello RambleJ,
I dont have a picture but I can easily take one later. It plugs to 2 out of the 4 plugs the BMS plugs to. Whatever it does it seems to be doing a better job than the BMS stage 1 that I had installed. I will take a picture of the inside of the chip as well so you can see what its like. Overall I am satisfied with the output from this tune and there is 0 issues so far and no error messages whatsoever.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #60
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Hello RambleJ,
I dont have a picture but I can easily take one later. It plugs to 2 out of the 4 plugs the BMS plugs to. Whatever it does it seems to be doing a better job than the BMS stage 1 that I had installed. I will take a picture of the inside of the chip as well so you can see what its like. Overall I am satisfied with the output from this tune and there is 0 issues so far and no error messages whatsoever.

MBA
Awesome, glad to hear we have another solution to tuning that isn't trying to rip us off.
So for the 2 plugs, I am guessing its the sensor on the drivers side of the car(TMAP) and the pressure sensor which is the one that is a pain in the ass to get to(unless you remove the airbox). Does that sound right?

I did go on their website and saw the insides of the chip and it looks nice, but I am curious as to what this chip can really do with 2 sensors getting hacked.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #61
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535

Quote:

MBA
just to let you know, I did ask Paul on the setting and he told me that the higher number does not mean higher performance. He mentioned that setting 8 is like the lowest or default override. You might want to shoot the USA based center and ask them to fill you in on the various settings.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #62
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

As promised, here are some pictures of the sensor attachements in the car as well as the inside of the chip.

Klecha Man: Yes I did talk to the german support team and they did tell me that #7 is the maximum setting. The out of the box setting was to letter B and it goes through to F and then starts from 0-7. So I had a lot of wiggle room. When I wrote my comments I was on #3 I believe. I am up to #6 now LOL just to try it out but I think I will revert back to the old setting if I feel this is too much. Will try it out more tomorrow

MBA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #63
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
so did i read this correctly? dyno is not happening now? basically this entire thread is opinion and "feels" then.

btw, sales ppl will tell you anything. nice emails and fast responses to questions are nice but they do not make your car faster.

this can all be true but there are no facts yet. disappointing.

*unsubscribe*
      09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #64
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
so did i read this correctly? dyno is not happening now? basically this entire thread is opinion and "feels" then.

btw, sales ppl will tell you anything. nice emails and fast responses to questions are nice but they do not make your car faster.

this can all be true but there are no facts yet. disappointing.

*unsubscribe*
+1

But...I do think patience is necessary sometimes -- you never know.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #65
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post
+1

But...I do think patience is necessary sometimes -- you never know.
I would love to prove this to people, but when I have to cough up 300 dollars to prove something I already believe for that price tag I am afraid is out of the question for me. I wish I was in CA where a dyno would probably cost a fraction of this price. I hope someone on the US side gets to prove this to the rest but I have given up on that one.

MBA
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #66
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I contacted Paul @ RaceChip and sent him the link to BMS. I told him that his tune seems like the Stage 1. I also informed him of how focused we are on the Mustang Dyno and numbers we can relate to.

His response:

When you look at the pictures of the link you listed below you will see that that technology is quite a bit older. Like our old Standard Module. The Pro2 and Ultimate are new developments, starting from the casing, plugs and future proofness. The Ultimate for example can be upgraded to a new vehicle in the future for a cost of $149. Even cross manufacturer/model.

On a personal note I think we need to find one of those dynos close to our office. We have a 550i F10 here at the moment. Usually our engineering is done in Germany though and Maha is the leader there in that space.
Appreciate 0