2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Thinking about some upgrades - F10 LCI 535 xdrove

12-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

You contradict your own comment. BMW also thought 300hp is reliable for n55 engine plus pushing extra power out of a small turbo isn't a good idea as you are crossing it's reliability, so pushing more power is also not a good idea than at all. Also, xHP tested on stock car showed better 0 to 60 times with their trans tune.

And better line pressure so clutch don't slip when you pushing more power saves the trans from damaging it vs pushing more power and let the clutches slip causing clutches to wear out quicker. Aplina does fast shifts on their cars on same trans that comes in regular cars... Which shows the trans is capable of fast shifts.

Last edited by ziekxq; 12-31-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I've never heard of one single member who installed a catless dp or even a catted dp on their 535i ever say they didn't notice a difference.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #25
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
You contradict your own comment. BMW also thought 300hp is reliable for n55 engine plus pushing extra power out of a small turbo isn't a good idea as you are crossing it's reliability, so pushing more power is also not a good idea than at all. Also, xHP tested on stock car showed better 0 to 60 times with their trans tune.

We do in fact have a gauge and control in which to measure engine data and performance, datalogging, along with years of N55 usage to back this data. (Boost, AFR, FP, WGDC,Timing,Knock, etc)
With our trans we do not, i don't know anyone who has a gauge of line pressure, where it maxes out at, what it operates normally under?
That is similar to saying you dont know what boost you run nor what is max boost, but the boost is higher and it runs great.
TCU Tq limit raising or removal is fairly new to this platform, ill sit back and see how it plays out in the next couple years first with no limits and tuned engines. I think this is a strong trans and can take good amount of tq, i hope.
With no tq limits and more line pressure, i hope it does do a better 0-60
On pump gas, stock PWG turbo, i didn't feel a substantial gain to be worth the increased stress on the trans for now.

And better line pressure so clutch don't slip when you pushing more power saves the trans from damaging it vs pushing more power and let the clutches slip causing clutches to wear out quicker. Aplina does fast shifts on their cars on same trans that comes in regular cars... Which shows the trans is capable of fast shifts.

I think you are a bit misinformed. Unless your tune is purposely trying to trick the tcu of the real 'actual tq' then the tcu will match the correct line pressure until the actual load has reached the tcu actual tq limit. Is this not correct?
I think you speak of tunes that enable false tq values to the tcu, in which give in accurate low line pressure.
I dont know enough on the alpina trans to speak on, but i believe even xHP has said alpina runs a pretty tame tune that is close to their stage 1 ( bit higher tq limit then stock, not the 1000nm limit xHP runs)But without a gauge on what they are doing with the trans pressure. Hard to say no?
I appreciate the tech talk, hard to find on this forum, i really do enjoy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I've never heard of one single member who installed a catless dp or even a catted dp on their 535i ever say they didn't notice a difference.
My good friend, great to meet you!
I honestly didnt feel much of a difference in actual propulsion.
The turbo spool and slight wastegate rattle, yes.
Otherwise even my exhaust did not become much louder other than my coldstart.

I think the same way guys are a lost for words and comment on how their world changed with a simple stage 1 tune, might be the same guys with 40whp DP gain lol
All jokes aside, i think the size or better stated, flow of our turbos, PWG in my case, and the advance in modern cat technology, has become pretty good.
We forget how well it can actual flow, and focus on the retailers constant use of 'restrictive' cats, to falsely lead us back into a state of 1985 cat tech.

Happy new years guys!

Last edited by 5soko; 12-31-2019 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
My good friend, great to meet you!
I honestly didnt feel much of a difference in actual propulsion.
The turbo spool and slight wastegate rattle, yes.
Otherwise even my exhaust did not become much louder other than my coldstart.

I think the same way guys are a lost for words and comment on how their world changed with a simple stage 1 tune, might be the same guys with 40whp DP gain lol
All jokes aside, i think the size or better stated, flow of our turbos, PWG in my case, and the advance in modern cat technology, has become pretty good.
We forget how well it can actual flow, and focus on the retailers constant use of 'restrictive' cats, to falsely lead us back into a state of 1985 cat tech.

Happy new years guys!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...13294002319955

Did you read that article from xHP?

Plus, if Catted downpipes flow better wouldn't exhaust sound louder just like Catless downpipe sound? I mean one of the reasons and correct me if I am wrong is the exhaust sound gets louder because there is no restriction in air flow from turbo down to exhaust because of no cat. Maybe the power you gain is not significant but the purpose might be to allow extra heat created by the turbo pushing more power to exit out quickly rather than stuck between turbo and cat possibly hurting the turbo in long run?

Also, I remember from my JB4 days the reason they didn't recommend map 2 with Catted was because it was melting the cat inside the downpipe due to more heat.

Last edited by ziekxq; 01-05-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #27
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...13294002319955

Did you read that article from xHP?
Thank you for bringing this angle into the discussion.

A year ago when I started considering some light flash tunes for ECU and TCU I was looking at issues such as the above. All of the tuners were rescaling the ECU-reported torque numbers to work around customers noticing the 3rd and 6th gear torque limits kicking in and reducing performance in those gears.

So, for those of us who aren't drag racing from stoplight to stoplight all the time, we're in a situation where fixing a problem that occurs 0.1% of the time leads to systems operating incorrectly the other 99.9% of the time.

At flash time, MHD asks you to pick transmission options. If you pick regular AT you get rescaling. If you pick MT / xHP you don't. xHP allows you to preserve the factory torque limits, or rewrite them on a per-gear basis. If I remember correctly, I believe that I left the factory torque limits in place.

At the time, anyways, BM3 provided no specific information on what they did, and how they planned to continue in the future, so I think with BM3 you're stuck with rescaling no matter what.

I'm only stage 1, and probably never going any further. It was a nice bump in power, and I'm not saying to myself that gears 3 and 6 are "so slow". I do not like to notion of ECUs "lying" to one another and chose my software (MHD + xHP) to allow that to be prevented. I know that BM3 now bundles some kind of transmission tune. They may have finally done this to work around this very issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #28
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
At the time, anyways, BM3 provided no specific information on what they did, and how they planned to continue in the future, so I think with BM3 you're stuck with rescaling no matter what.
This was the "press" release at the time of the TCU flash release:
https://www.facebook.com/protuningfr...2620716190170/

It seems like they aren't just simply rescaling the power output the ECU reads out. Seems like they actually raised the torque limits to 550.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #29
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post

It seems like they aren't just simply rescaling the power output the ECU reads out. Seems like they actually raised the torque limits to 550.
The TCU is limited to 465nm though and 400nm in 3rd and 6th gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #30
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The TCU is limited to 465nm though and 400nm in 3rd and 6th gear.
Yea not sure about what's going on there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post

That's what I was saying - their TCU flash was probably more for this issue than to tune the trasmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #32
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
That's what I was saying - their TCU flash was probably more for this issue than to tune the trasmission.
Yea, BM3 definitely doesn't do what xHP is doing. If you're looking to just resolve the torque issue, BM3 is fine. I don't care for shift point changing and all that, so xHP was pretty hard to justify.
Appreciate 0