2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding speaker wires?!

12-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

speaker wires?!

Ok, I've been hunting for well over an hour now....no google is NOT your friend! Can't find a SIMPLE diagram that shows what color wires coming off the stock amplifier (Harmon Kardon) feed the speakers. I'm trying to use a high / lo pass to install a sub and amp. Wish I could filter out any and all things 3 series! Geez! I open up a link, it shows a diagram...I get reading and waaaaay down below it will mention that it's for some 3 series. Ugh. More time wasted.

Does anyone have a diagram that shows what colors are for the rear doors or sub channel? I know its the thicker twisted pairs. That much I do know...just can't find which is which.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep

Ok, I found this, and apparently it's the same for our cars...so posting, as that was just stupid to find!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949

Specifically for the harmon kardon...

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep

Ok, I'm at a loss. I followed that schematic.

I am using a Scosche LOC2SL line converter to tap into the sub speaker lines, to turn on my amp. But it isn't turning on the amp.
I am using a fuse tap and tapped into a fuse that is listed as one of the radio fuses, and is switched. Verified with a multimeter that it truly is switched hot. Yet the amp doesn't turn on.

I tested power at the amp with the multimeter. And I went as far as cheating and jumpered the +12 and the remote-on ports. When I do that, the amp comes on but I'm still not getting any signal/sound. The LOC2SL doesn't have any light to confirm power. So I'm trying to figure out where the disconnect is. I hate using wire taps, but that is the option...but I hate even worse taking them off and on different wires....But I triple checked before I tapped into the wires that I was connecting the (I believe) right ones.

Suggestions? Taking a little break, as I feel like I've been staring at it too long and that just produces crossed eyes. Hopefully something will come to me. But I would definitely appreciate any 3rd eye view/insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep

update.... I have been reading and watching videos all evening trying to get a better lead.
Came across a video of a guy rewiring his car to retro a Logic 7 amp. He showed the wires under his seats connecting to the subs. They were not the same ones I got from the image above. They were the fatter wires. So I rewired accordingly. Still no difference. Even still if I jumper the remote on wire and bring the amp on line, it still doesn't produce any sound. Calling it for the night. NEVER have I had a damn system give me such grief. lol. Wow.
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      12-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Speaker wires don't have enough power to trigger the amp. I had this issue years ago on a different car. I had to add a "line converter" to the amp trigger wire to bump up the signal to trigger the amp. I have no idea where you'll acquire the part as the one I had went out of production 15+ years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep

The hi/lo pass is just another name for a line level converter....same same.
I have been continuing the search this morning, and I have couple of other ideas to try.
#1). Even though the directions say to find a switched fuse...on Scoche's web site, they show a picture of it installed...and they are running the power directly to the power on the amp. Interesting.
#2). The amplifier does have a high level harness. I don't like using them, as typically you get a lot more interference noise. But if ALL else fails...I will use that.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep

So I had actually bought two complete set ups. One for my son for Christmas (2008 335i) and one for myself. I had started working on my own first, since he was too busy playing his new PS4 game.

But I stepped back from my own tonight, and attempted to get his working as it was a gift, and I didn't want him waiting on me to enjoy it. He also has the hi-fi set up on his car. I used the same exact set up. Had his up and running in less than 2 hours...Go figure.

But his came with a broken fuse, so I used my fuse in his. SO no matter what, I'm not getting anywhere tonight on mine.
Appreciate 0