2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M Sport Package Includes?

01-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
ColonelCamp
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

M Sport Package Includes?

Hi Everyone,

New to the BMW world and trying to learn as much as I can. I previously owned and drove a 2014 Challenger R/T and I must say, this is a whole new world for me. The handling on this car is amazing. I absolutely love it.

The BMW I chose is an Alpine White 2016 550i with Mocha interior. It's pretty much fully loaded including the M Sport package. There are actually 2 lines in the description of the packages included that say "M Sport". One says M Sport and the other says "M Sport Package". Is there a difference? Is this a redundancy? What exactly does the M Sport package include? As I understand it, it includes 19" light alloy wheels with M badge stickers, side skirts with the M Performance logo on them, M steering wheel with a badge as well as the front bumper area looking different than a 550 without this package. Does this package include an M suspension? I've found conflicting information on this. Is it possible some do and some don't depending on the package.

Sorry for my noob questions! Trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. One thing I will say, for a non M BMW, it sure does have a lot of Ms on it. Not sure how I feel about that. Coming from the dodge muscle car world and owning an R/T, I would never have wanted SRT anything on my car. It wasn't an SRT and should not be badged as one. I guess it's different with BMWs.

Thanks!

Danny
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
ColonelCamp
Rep

Just adding a a couple of photos of my new baby.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
EV8634.00
      01-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

M sport is a poor man's ///M
BMW's are really all about how it is optioned.
BMW looooooooves confusion.
To top that off, packages can change at the drop of a hat.
The best way to see what the car has is to decode the VIN.
Plenty of sites for that, bimmercat, mdecode just to name a couple.
Also around here we require PICTURES!!!
:-)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
ColonelCamp
Rep

I beat you to it! I just added them.

I did go to those websites you mentioned, but it didn't really help. It showed me pretty much what I attached in my post. Nothing at all about suspension.

Maybe it doesn't have an M suspension. I'm just curious. Either way, it's amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
M sport is a poor man's ///M
BMW's are really all about how it is optioned.
BMW looooooooves confusion.
To top that off, packages can change at the drop of a hat.
The best way to see what the car has is to decode the VIN.
Plenty of sites for that, bimmercat, mdecode just to name a couple.
Also around here we require PICTURES!!!
:-)
Dumbest thing I have read in a while
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCamp View Post
Hi Everyone,

New to the BMW world and trying to learn as much as I can. I previously owned and drove a 2014 Challenger R/T and I must say, this is a whole new world for me. The handling on this car is amazing. I absolutely love it.

The BMW I chose is an Alpine White 2016 550i with Mocha interior. It's pretty much fully loaded including the M Sport package. There are actually 2 lines in the description of the packages included that say "M Sport". One says M Sport and the other says "M Sport Package". Is there a difference? Is this a redundancy? What exactly does the M Sport package include? As I understand it, it includes 19" light alloy wheels with M badge stickers, side skirts with the M Performance logo on them, M steering wheel with a badge as well as the front bumper area looking different than a 550 without this package. Does this package include an M suspension? I've found conflicting information on this. Is it possible some do and some don't depending on the package.

Sorry for my noob questions! Trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. One thing I will say, for a non M BMW, it sure does have a lot of Ms on it. Not sure how I feel about that. Coming from the dodge muscle car world and owning an R/T, I would never have wanted SRT anything on my car. It wasn't an SRT and should not be badged as one. I guess it's different with BMWs.

Thanks!

Danny
Nice car. I hope it is CPO or you plan on getting a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Nice car. I hope it is CPO or you plan on getting a warranty.
Thanks! They didn't certify it, but I got the gold warranty. Talked them down to 4500 for 5 years or 100K miles. The wanted 7K for this to start. There was no way I was paying that for a warranty or driving away with a BMW with no warranty. Could it have been better? Maybe, but I'm happy.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I beat you to it! I just added them.

I did go to those websites you mentioned, but it didn't really help. It showed me pretty much what I attached in my post. Nothing at all about suspension.

Maybe it doesn't have an M suspension. I'm just curious. Either way, it's amazing!
Unfortunately...the option code numbers were clipped out of the picture you posted.

I would suggest googling for BMW f15 ordering and pricing guide PDF (include your model year in the search phrase). It will spell out exactly what is in the option code/pkg.

As eluded to above...BMW has started to "water-down" the M brand a little with all these "M-packages" that are most times cosmetic...with perhaps some suspension bits tossed in sometimes (usually the competition pkgs).

In the Bimmerworld...where you usually stir the ire of Bimmerphiles is when you stick an M on the trunk. The other little M badges around the car only elude to something taken from the M parts bin...which would be considered an upgrade or mod. For example, the M steering wheel...this wouldn't be "posing" if in fact it is an actual M steering wheel. This would be an upgrade from the standard steering wheel that probably is not as thick. But if you stuck an M on a regular steering wheel...any BMW owner would look at you sideways.

If you have M door protectors etc...this will elude to the car having an upgraded sport pkg. The suspension may be slightly lowered but still not be the full on M suspension (but may in some special cases).

EDIT: excerpt from the 2016 ordering guide...you can see the option code numbers and what can be selected when you have that option...look for these code numbers on your decoded VIN list (like from mdecoder.com or bimmercat.com).

You can also use the online part database sites like www.realoem.com or www.bmwfans.info or https://bimmercat.com and when you pull up the suspension diagrams...you'll see the different part nbrs for the option code you have. You can compare your 704 M suspension to that of the the suspension on an M5 to see if the springs, struts, etc are the same or if they are only a specially tuned sport suspension for the gussied up M sport pkgs.

(looks like you may have the ZMM option which can include things on this list...again, compare this list below with what your VIN decode says came on the car)
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-08-2020 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
First things first, congrats on the new ride. As a white 550i owner myself, I'd say you made a great choice :-)

2nd of all, everyone with a pre 2014 or a 528/535 will want to scare the crap out of you and tell you that you made a bad decision getting the 550i. Just like with any car, you can be lucky or unlucky with what you end up with, and cost of repair is always going to be proportional to the price of the car. 3 years and 35K later, my 550i has been rock solid (knock on wood).

As for the suspension, I thought all M Performance 5's came with same "sportier" suspension (which still sucks). The only difference is whether you have the EDC or not. You can easily tell by the hose coming out of your front struts. Needless to say, I made the mistake of not getting EDC and there aren't many options for aftermarket x-drive 5's except KW V3s (next on my co$tly upgrade list).
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Without the 704 suspension the M Sport package is just cosmetic. Also, from what I've read, option 704 wasn't available on X-Drive's.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Unfortunately...the option code numbers were clipped out of the picture you posted.

I would suggest googling for BMW f15 ordering and pricing guide PDF (include your model year in the search phrase). It will spell out exactly what is in the option code/pkg.

As eluded to above...BMW has started to "water-down" the M brand a little with all these "M-packages" that are most times cosmetic...with perhaps some suspension bits tossed in sometimes (usually the competition pkgs).

In the Bimmerworld...where you usually stir the ire of Bimmerphiles is when you stick an M on the trunk. The other little M badges around the car only elude to something taken from the M parts bin...which would be considered an upgrade or mod. For example, the M steering wheel...this wouldn't be "posing" if in fact it is an actual M steering wheel. This would be an upgrade from the standard steering wheel that probably is not as thick. But if you stuck an M on a regular steering wheel...any BMW owner would look at you sideways.

If you have M door protectors etc...this will elude to the car having an upgraded sport pkg. The suspension may be slightly lowered but still not be the full on M suspension (but may in some special cases).

EDIT: excerpt from the 2016 ordering guide...you can see the option code numbers and what can be selected when you have that option...look for these code numbers on your decoded VIN list (like from mdecoder.com or bimmercat.com).

You can also use the online part database sites like www.realoem.com or www.bmwfans.info or https://bimmercat.com and when you pull up the suspension diagrams...you'll see the different part nbrs for the option code you have. You can compare your 704 M suspension to that of the the suspension on an M5 to see if the springs, struts, etc are the same or if they are only a specially tuned sport suspension for the gussied up M sport pkgs.

(looks like you may have the ZMM option which can include things on this list...again, compair this list below with what you VIN decode says came on the car)
Thanks for taking the time to write this up for me. That's a lot of great info. I've got some work to do!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #12
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
First things first, congrats on the new ride. As a white 550i owner myself, I'd say you made a great choice :-)

2nd of all, everyone with a pre 2014 or a 528/535 will want to scare the crap out of you and tell you that you made a bad decision getting the 550i. Just like with any car, you can be lucky or unlucky with what you end up with, and cost of repair is always going to be proportional to the price of the car. 3 years and 35K later, my 550i has been rock solid (knock on wood).

As for the suspension, I thought all M Performance 5's came with same "sportier" suspension (which still sucks). The only difference is whether you have the EDC or not. You can easily tell by the hose coming out of your front struts. Needless to say, I made the mistake of not getting EDC and there aren't many options for aftermarket x-drive 5's except KW V3s (next on my co$tly upgrade list).
Thanks! Like I said, I love it. I'm actually smiling like an idiot in the middle of turns. I never did that with my R/T! As far as reliability, time will tell. I do have the warranty, so I've got some peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
ColonelCamp
Rep

I found another pic the dealer sent me with the codes visible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:

(looks like you may have the ZMM option which can include things on this list...again, compair this list below with what you VIN decode says came on the car)
I found this: https://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/bmw-p...ring-Guide.pdf

It doesn't mention anything about the suspension. At least that I could find.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I found another pic the dealer sent me with the codes visible.
Cool...just like ezaircon4jc mentioned in his post above...to have the M-sport suspension...you need option code 704. But you do have the cosmetic package (337...and if you run down the list for the ZMM option package...you can check off the ones you have to get the gist of which of those choices/selections you have.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Congrats on the beautiful new car! I hope you have many years of enjoyment. I also have a 2016 550i and I absolutely love mine.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Cool...just like ezaircon4jc mentioned in his post above...to have the M-sport suspension...you need option code 704. But you do have the cosmetic package (337...and if you run down the list for the ZMM option package...you can check off the ones you have to get the gist of which of those choices/selections you have.
I looked through the list on the link and I found 704 clearly stated as "M Sport Suspension". I don't have this code on my list so now I know. Thanks for all of the help, Guys. Great to know there's a community like this that helps each other out!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Congrats on the beautiful new car! I hope you have many years of enjoyment. I also have a 2016 550i and I absolutely love mine.

Enjoy!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Dumbest thing I have read in a while
Had anyone else said that I might be offended.

To the OP, as stated above, the AWD didn't get the same options as the RWD.
I stand by what I said regardless of what others may think.
I would still suggest you decode the VIN to see what options your car truly has broken down which helps clear confusion over this package vs that package.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
ColonelCamp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Had anyone else said that I might be offended.

To the OP, as stated above, the AWD didn't get the same options as the RWD.
I stand by what I said regardless of what others may think.
I would still suggest you decode the VIN to see what options your car truly has broken down which helps clear confusion over this package vs that package.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

The 704 M Sport Suspension (stiffer, lowered) is only on RWD F10's. Your 550 is xDrive, so its M Sport package is the cosmetic parts, the suspension is the base suspension.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #22
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
The 704 M Sport Suspension (stiffer, lowered) is only on RWD F10's. Your 550 is xDrive, so its M Sport package is the cosmetic parts, the suspension is the base suspension.
I wish I knew this before I got an xDrive. I switched over from MB thinking I can get a sportier ride out the box or have much better options for upgrades - sadly I got neither :-( Zero regrets getting a BMW or a 550i - just wish I didn't get the xDrive. I was huddled in a corner crying my eyes out when I realized even Bilstein B6s aren't available (the most basic of the sportier shocks). Like I said, KW V3s are my only option, and it's sad to spend all that money when I don't even care about lowering the car - just need it to handle better.
Appreciate 1
EV8634.00