2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 520d estate Daytime Driving Lights

03-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
CM1972
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

2013 520d estate Daytime Driving Lights

Hi ... I can't get a straight answer anywhere on this issue!

On my early 2013 520d the iDrive 'lights' setting has an option titled 'Daytime Driving Lights', not 'Daytime Running Lights'.

Is there a difference?!

The reason I ask is this - when the option is not selected and i turn the headlamp switch to Auto, the lights work as you would expect ... daytime, no lights, night time, dipped beam with angel eye side lights ...

If you then switch the Daytime Driving Lights option on in iDrive , you get the angel eye side lights and dipped beam on ALL the time no matter what the light conditions are.

Answers on a postcard ... !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Yes...DDL (daytime driving lights) and DRL (daytime running lights) are basically the same thing...just acronyms that get used depending on the marketing departmen, brand, country, or region, etc. They are meant to help your car be SEEN by other vehicles (not for you to see) without you having to turn on your headlamps..

DDLs/DRLs indicates that one or some form of lights (from the headlamps) will illuminate when the engine is running regardless if the headlamp switch is turned on or not.

DDLs/DRLs are NOT the same thing as your headlamps...and if you have them activated as well as having auto headlamps...the headlamps will illuminate when the ambient light drops low enough for the sensor to turn the headlamps on.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Yes...DDL (daytime driving lights) and DRL (daytime running lights) are basically the same thing...just acronyms that get used depending on the marketing departmen, brand, country, or region, etc. They are meant to help your car be SEEN by other vehicles (not for you to see) without you having to turn on your headlamps..

DDLs/DRLs indicates that one or some form of lights (from the headlamps) will illuminate when the engine is running regardless if the headlamp switch is turned on or not.

DDLs/DRLs are NOT the same thing as your headlamps...and if you have them activated as well as having auto headlamps...the headlamps will illuminate when the ambient light drops low enough for the sensor to turn the headlamps on.
BMW have been using the corona rings as the DRL/DDL's for years. I've seen other manufacturers copy the corona rings in some form or another.
Appreciate 0