2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications MHD! who's got it and how do you like it?

09-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

MHD! who's got it and how do you like it?

looking into MHD but wanted to get some opinions from those currently running it. couple of questions since their website isn't give me straight answers but what are you guys paying for it? and i'm assuming it only comes with a preset map? do you have to pay more for maps like Bootmod? thanks guys!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
looking into MHD but wanted to get some opinions from those currently running it. couple of questions since their website isn't give me straight answers but what are you guys paying for it? and i'm assuming it only comes with a preset map? do you have to pay more for maps like Bootmod? thanks guys!
BM3 and MHD have changed price structure now and then over the years. I think with BM3 you currently get one map, then you get everything else in their library for $50USD or something like that.

MHD sells packs by "stage", so all of "stage 1" comes in a pack together, which worked for me.

Since I wasn't making a hobby of this and only looking at Stage 1, MHD ended up being half (or maybe less) the cost of BM3 for what I was getting. BM3 bundled more together, but I don't need everything.

I also kind of like that MHD and xHP (and by extension xDelete) "work together" on development to some extent.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
I have no complaints... had it for like 2 yrs now... you could buy the different stages... the main reason I went with mhd over bootmod was because there were a lot of issues ppl had connecting or other issues... mhd was just easier... also I didn't need to get another adapter to use with phone to use the gauges and logging..
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
BM3 and MHD have changed price structure now and then over the years. I think with BM3 you currently get one map, then you get everything else in their library for $50USD or something like that.

MHD sells packs by "stage", so all of "stage 1" comes in a pack together, which worked for me.

Since I wasn't making a hobby of this and only looking at Stage 1, MHD ended up being half (or maybe less) the cost of BM3 for what I was getting. BM3 bundled more together, but I don't need everything.

I also kind of like that MHD and xHP (and by extension xDelete) "work together" on development to some extent.
that's what confused me was the pricing since I saw a few different prices from what people paid. do you know what the going price is now including both MHD and Stage 1 pack or whatever just the basic stage is? I saw that I would need to buy the data cable from bimmercode I think?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
I have no complaints... had it for like 2 yrs now... you could buy the different stages... the main reason I went with mhd over bootmod was because there were a lot of issues ppl had connecting or other issues... mhd was just easier... also I didn't need to get another adapter to use with phone to use the gauges and logging..
did you end up going with different stages or just the one? also, the cable that you used to DL MHD is the same cable you use to plug into your phone to use to see the gauges and what not? thanks! oh, i'm wondering if MHD has plans to make a blutooth to eliminate the need of that cable?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
did you end up going with different stages or just the one? also, the cable that you used to DL MHD is the same cable you use to plug into your phone to use to see the gauges and what not? thanks! oh, i'm wondering if MHD has plans to make a blutooth to eliminate the need of that cable?
Bluetooth is on the works... I had an old cable I used for my e60... it's not the newest cable so it takes longer but I didn't mind... I just bought the otg.. I only bought 1 stage but planning to do custom tune...
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I got the cable from twisted tuning for 40 bucks and it works so great. I can flash maps in 2 minutes but I am on custom map. No problems with MHD but the only thing I would recommend when you flashing is to click on the dp option otherwise MHD turns off catalytic convert check which would be an issue with emission test.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
that's what confused me was the pricing since I saw a few different prices from what people paid. do you know what the going price is now including both MHD and Stage 1 pack or whatever just the basic stage is? I saw that I would need to buy the data cable from bimmercode I think?
With MHD you obviously use an android phone and any USB K+DCAN cable. I had mine left over from my E90 coding and INPA days.

With BM3 you can use a laptop or their wifi agent (which is a Raspberry Pi, and they've made the SD card image available for free) and then you can control it from android, ios, windows, mac, whatever. Some people have actually used the retrofit android entertainment option to show BM3 gauges and interface in the car all the time connected to the wifi agent. If I was doing stuff like that, no question I'd be BM3.

BM3 is faster to flash and switch maps. BM3 is probably the more advanced platform. BM3 was said to have slightly better/smoother OTS maps. BM3 can be sold, once, giving it some residual value. MHD can be way less if don't need datalogging and can confine yourself to one "stage" of OTS map. When I bought, MHD had more options to set like linear throttle mapping. Both have good reputations and active user communities. Both seem to have the same implementation options for burbles and whatnot.

I waffled for a while. You'll see my thread on it here. For what I purchased MHD was $440CAD and BM3 would have been $1056CAD out of pocket. I couldn't justify the difference in cost for my use case. I still wonder whether I might not like BM3 more, but that ship has sailed.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Also just as a heads up, BM3 now offers a free transmission tune. I didn't pay anything for it and it just showed up one day. Saved me the cost of having to buy xHP, as I don't really care to mess with shift points at stage 1/2/3 or whatever xHP calls them.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
A couple of things regarding BM3, you can't sell it cause it's assigned to your vin... so it's going with your car when you are done.

2nd, I contacted BM3 and they do NOT have the shift bog delete for 6 speed MT. (If I'm wrong please advise, I'd love to know that they DO have it)

If you aren't going crazy seems like MHD is the way to go, if you are going crazy, I would lean towards the BM3.

How is MHD custom tune support?
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
A couple of things regarding BM3, you can't sell it cause it's assigned to your vin... so it's going with your car when you are done.

2nd, I contacted BM3 and they do NOT have the shift bog delete for 6 speed MT. (If I'm wrong please advise, I'd love to know that they DO have it)

If you aren't going crazy seems like MHD is the way to go, if you are going crazy, I would lean towards the BM3.

I went with MHD because it is plain and simple and gets the job done plus gives you everything you need. Plenty of custom tuners.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Unless their policy has changed since March of this year - you can sell it, once. MHD you cannot.

Quote:
It's technically capable, but I think BM3s structure makes it far easier to do, since the tuners interface with you car through PTF's cloud-based system. Upload data logs, they make maps, you load them into the car, send them logs - it all happens in BM3/PTF.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Unless their policy has changed since March of this year - you can sell it, once. MHD you cannot.
Can confirm it has not changed. From their FAQ (https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...-+bootmod3+FAQ):

I'm moving on to a different car. Can I re-sell my license?
Yes. Bootmod3 is the only BMW F series flash solution where the license can be resold and/or transferred to a new VIN when/if you decide to move on for any reason. Having re-sale value is a great advantage to choosing bootmod3 for your tuning which is NOT available with any other flash tune.
- License transfer is restricted to the original order purchase and buyer. Transferred licenses cannot be transferred more than once.
- Any previously purchased OTS maps and custom tunes by the original buyer are not transferrable due to map data incompatibilities between cars.
- To transfer a license you need to get in touch with support@protuningfreaks.com with your original order number, existing VIN and the new VIN and the other person's email address to verify car being flashed back to the Stock Tune AND DME RELOCKED using bootmod3 interface. FLASHING BACK TO STOCK AND LOCKING THE DME WITH ANY OTHER FLASH TOOLS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. For instructions on this click here: bootmod3 License transfer
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Can confirm it has not changed. From their FAQ (https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...-+bootmod3+FAQ):

I'm moving on to a different car. Can I re-sell my license?
Yes. Bootmod3 is the only BMW F series flash solution where the license can be resold and/or transferred to a new VIN when/if you decide to move on for any reason. Having re-sale value is a great advantage to choosing bootmod3 for your tuning which is NOT available with any other flash tune.
- License transfer is restricted to the original order purchase and buyer. Transferred licenses cannot be transferred more than once.
- Any previously purchased OTS maps and custom tunes by the original buyer are not transferrable due to map data incompatibilities between cars.
- To transfer a license you need to get in touch with support@protuningfreaks.com with your original order number, existing VIN and the new VIN and the other person's email address to verify car being flashed back to the Stock Tune AND DME RELOCKED using bootmod3 interface. FLASHING BACK TO STOCK AND LOCKING THE DME WITH ANY OTHER FLASH TOOLS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. For instructions on this click here: bootmod3 License transfer
Sweet! Does anyone want to get rid of their license? I'd like to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #15
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Why did you get rid of your JB4 if you are going MHD? I know this is a N54 video but it still applies...

Appreciate 0