2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 530d idle

08-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

530d idle

Curious if I'm the only person getting this but when when in D and foot on brake the car vibrates slighty (if autoH is on and I remove foot from brake then rattle goes away)

But if I move the stick into sports mode with foot on the brake I don't get the idle rattle

Anyone else find this?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92liv View Post
Curious if I'm the only person getting this but when when in D and foot on brake the car vibrates slighty (if autoH is on and I remove foot from brake then rattle goes away)

But if I move the stick into sports mode with foot on the brake I don't get the idle rattle

Anyone else find this?
This is only a guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it is not associated with NIC (Neutral Idle Control). Involves the disengagement of the torque converter, when stationary and at idle, using the foot brake. I imagine the strategy is different in sport mode. The reason for saying that, in older models using the ZF 6-speed box, the 'jolt' issue (involving NIC) was only reproduced in normal mode, indicating sport mode is set up different for NIC function. I assume it may not disengage in sport mode allowing a more rapid (time wise) take off from standstill.

Engine and gearbox are in a different state when NIC is active, less load on the engine, the likely cause of different vibration/harmonics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

another possible reason (though no cure)
Think I'm right in saying that if you put it in first, the gearbox changes to 1st gear. I thinkin comfort it starts in second?
If that's the case, perhaps it just down to a resonant frequency
just a wild guess and based upon the fact that my E39 started in second unless you moved the gear lever to M/S in which case you could feel it change to first to ensure a more spritely start.

All pure conjecture on my part , could be 100% wrong on that!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Welshwolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d msport

530d idle

I've also suffer with this issue, although I've not tried different ways/techniques to determine how it goes away, if at all.

I have however had it looked at twice by bmw and both times they've suggested there's no issue. First time it was looked at was when I first had the car and it was suggested that it's just how it idles and the fuel mixture is reduced to save fuel, apparently.
I then challenged this again recently and 50k miles later (2 yrs ownership) and before warranty runs out, to again determine if it's me, or if there's actually an issue. But again, it's suggested that it's a characteristic of the car.

Only way to describe it is that it's a side to side motion which is more pronounced if I were to lean on the window and be in greater contact with the car, I know that may sound stupid, but it's the only way I can describe it and just as e92liv describes, it's only when stationery, in D and foot lightly on the brake pedal.

I can easily live with it, as 90% of my journeys are motorway so very little time is stuck in traffic and stationery, but it's that occasional time when I feel it that I want to know if it can be sorted and corrected, especially as my warranty has 3 months remaining.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Best way for me to describe the feel is to imagine a manual car, foot on brake and clutch pushed fully down - then pulling your foot out to bring the clutch to the bite point, with brake pedal still firmly down the car would start to gently wobble/shake

If that makes sense that's the feeling I get! Like a slightly spluttery idle causing the car to wobble/shake slightly

I'm not sure if it's normal behaviour or not? It bugs me mainly because the six pot is imo a silky smooth refined engine and shouldn't rock/shake at a standstill?

The simple solution is it use auto handbrake and release foot from brake pedal when stopped. But it's nice sometimes to not use the auto handbrake!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I can't say I've noticed mine do this, however I virtually always use auto.

Does the rev counter stay stable or does it fluctuate?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:39 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Best way for me to describe the feel is to imagine a manual car, foot on brake and clutch pushed fully down - then pulling your foot out to bring the clutch to the bite point, with brake pedal still firmly down the car would start to gently wobble/shake

If that makes sense that's the feeling I get! Like a slightly spluttery idle causing the car to wobble/shake slightly

I'm not sure if it's normal behaviour or not? It bugs me mainly because the six pot is imo a silky smooth refined engine and shouldn't rock/shake at a standstill?

The simple solution is it use auto handbrake and release foot from brake pedal when stopped. But it's nice sometimes to not use the auto handbrake!
THe description does indicate it is related to the load on the engine in the various states.

I still think it is related to the NIC function, as it can reduce drivetrain load on the idling engine by up to about 90%. Then there is the TC itself, off load and the 'cushioning' function is likely reduced. Engine mounts have to work harder to try and control the torque pulses, but not quite good enough to eliminate the extra vibration of an off load idle.

A six cylinder engine is a different animal altogether, much better balanced, particularly as an in-line configuration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Reread the title....

I note you are talking about a 530d, very surprised the engine vibrates at idle in the conditions you mention.

Still feel it could be contributed to by NIC, possible engine mount issues, not unknown.

HighlandPete

PS. Just a thought, not a simple engine acoustic cover rattle, or similar vibration? I'd get someone to take a look under the bonnet while you take it through the various states.

Something so simple is not uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I can't say I've noticed mine do this, however I virtually always use auto.

Does the rev counter stay stable or does it fluctuate?
I'll have to check this again, but I'm pretty sure the rev needle remains in the same place - whether it's in D and rocking or M/S and smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Reread the title....

I note you are talking about a 530d, very surprised the engine vibrates at idle in the conditions you mention.

Still feel it could be contributed to by NIC, possible engine mount issues, not unknown.

HighlandPete

PS. Just a thought, not a simple engine acoustic cover rattle, or similar vibration? I'd get someone to take a look under the bonnet while you take it through the various states.

Something so simple is not uncommon.
Yes its a 530d

a friend has a 330d auto, i'll have to take it out for a ride see if that behaves the same

I do have AUC warranty but I'm a bit reluctant to take it to them incase they say its normal behaviour, no fault found, heres a bill for wasting our time!?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

As HP says, the NIC (Standabkopplung) will affect the idle load and hence speed in different states.

On my 535d, at idle with NIC happening, I got a nasty resonance. A little tracking down found this to be the long air intake pipe. I ran my finger up and down it and could easily feel the point of maximum vibration and cured the issue entirely by installing a custom resonance-tuned damping system to the intake (OK, I tie-wrapped it to a solid point). Works a treat, now completely silent.

Name:  intake-bodge.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  435.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
I ran my finger up and down it and could easily feel the point of maximum vibration and cured the issue entirely by installing a custom resonance-tuned damping system to the intake (OK, I tie-wrapped it to a solid point)
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok had a proper play today. I can feel the shakes through the seat, so i think its unlikely its loose plastics rattling in the engine bay?

Anyway, heres what I found

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - shift stick left into m/s (car displays s1) - shakes stop

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - use down paddle, car displays M1 - shakes stop

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - use up paddle, car displays M2 - shakes stop

Autobox in D or M/s - AutoH enabled - no shakes

Autobox in R - foot on brake - no shakes

Had a bottle of water in the car with me, with the shakes the water is visibly swishing around more than when the car is idling 'normal'

Ive not yet tried selecting Neutral to see if the shakes remain, i'll let you know

Last edited by e92liv; 09-03-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:32 AM   #13
MillenniuM
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Please help

Quote:
Ok had a proper play today. I can feel the shakes through the seat, so i think its unlikely its loose plastics rattling in the engine bay?

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - shift stick left into m/s (car displays s1) - shakes stop

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - use down paddle, car displays M1 - shakes stop

Autobox in D - foot on brake - shakes - use up paddle, car displays M2 - shakes stop

Had a bottle of water in the car with me, with the shakes the water is visibly swishing around more than when the car is idling 'normal'

Ive not yet tried selecting Neutral to see if the shakes remain, i'll let you know
Hi there!
I`m having the exact same issue and symptoms listed in e92liv post. Have you ever found what was causing this? Searched the internet, but couln't find the solution.
Please help.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Numbacruncha
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillenniuM View Post
Quote:

Hi there!
I`m having the exact same issue and symptoms listed in e92liv post. Have you ever found what was causing this? Searched the internet, but couln't find the solution.
Please help.
Mine does the same, 40k miles, had it checked by bmw, said there is no problem with it. Drives fine, just that odd little shake when stationery in D with foot on brake.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 05:05 AM   #15
cunamis
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Hi guys,

Have you found a solution? I have face up with the similar issue too described here by e92liv.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #16
alihuss93
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Garage List
Quote:

I have a 530d Msport F10. Have the exact same problem.

My car was covered my AUC warranty and while under warranty the following got done;
• Engine Mounts
• Trasmition Mounts
• Diff Mounts
• Rear Axle Mount

I found this problem round at round about 56k miles my car is now on 86k miles no difference at all still the same no improvement not getting any better.

Have you managed to find what it was?

Thank you
Appreciate 0