2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Battery Issues

06-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520D M Sport

Battery Issues

Wondering if someonce could solve this issue, keep an error about my battery discharging. Checked the obvious for things plugged in

My car doesnt get long runs very often but still the odd one here and there, I have charged it overnight but it still drains. The confusing part is this only started happening after I installed an android auto box, even coded the option to shut idrive off when drivers door is open. (reluctant to take the box out as it was very difficult to fit.

Car starts every time just the warning is annoying and stop/start does not work unless charged enough, also tried reregistering the battery.

Checked with BMTool and the SoH is 0%

Is it safe to assume that the battery needs replacing? 2012 model on 80k

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi

I get the same message when I come back to start my car after having had the parking lights on. I think it's trying to say that something has been using the battery whilst the car was switched off.

Possibly this box you've added?

Hope this helps
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep

Thanks mate, I'm hoping not to have to take the dash apart/remove the box as I really like it and get a rear camera out of it.

Might just get a nearly new battery from Gumtree as it could well just be pas it's best @ 9 years old.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I condition my battery every six months or so. These cars can throw some strange error messages when the car is not used for extended periods and they mysteriously just go away when the car is used/battery conditioned. There are so many electronic components that need power that the battery is no longer for just "starting" like the old days, it is a principle component of the car nowadays.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.bell1987 View Post
Wondering if someonce could solve this issue, keep an error about my battery discharging. Checked the obvious for things plugged in

My car doesnt get long runs very often but still the odd one here and there, I have charged it overnight but it still drains. The confusing part is this only started happening after I installed an android auto box, even coded the option to shut idrive off when drivers door is open. (reluctant to take the box out as it was very difficult to fit.

Car starts every time just the warning is annoying and stop/start does not work unless charged enough, also tried reregistering the battery.

Thanks all.

I've had this issue a few times, it happens more if batteries are a little older, maybe you went on a short drive, or you had a door open for awhile, it will drain the batteries... Just drive it around for a 10 15 min drive and that warning will be gone next time you start your car, I just happened to me when I was do the wrap on my chrome around the windows, ebverything is fine
      09-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #6
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep

Quick update, battery was on its way out. Replaced like for like with an exide 105ah 950cca stop start battery £130 self fitted. Halfords wanted £186 + £25 fitting
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
bwalekuteyi
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520 M Sport

Quote:

Thanks all.
Also check your alternator
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:

M

Thanks all.
get this on my f10 530d, its down to the car not getting proper use.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep

So the issue returned after replacing the battery and I was running out of ideas. Turns out disconnecting the Intelligent Battery Sensor on the negative battery terminal, probably the MMI box confusing things.
Appreciate 0