2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Exotics: is the juice worth the squeeze?

06-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Exotics: is the juice worth the squeeze?

https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/..._JUNE_20220608

thought this article was a good take on it

I think if you have the means to have an exotic as point A to point A car, it is a no brainer.

But if you have to use a car for some practical use,I think there comes a point where the added hassles of clearance, visibility, ride,ingress and egress, unwanted attention might make it less clear that an exotic is the way to go...

911's have always walked this line very well
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post

I think if you have the means to have an exotic as point A to point A car, it is a no brainer.

But if you have to use a car for some practical use,I think there comes a point where the added hassles of clearance, visibility, ride,ingress and egress, unwanted attention might make it less clear that an exotic is the way to go...

911 is drivable, and mostly useful. Getting in and out isn't too bad although as I get older that might change. It doesn't get undue attention and although mine isn't nearly exotic I still can't walk away without taking an extra look.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

It's weird, i have never really lusted after an exotic. I keep coming back tot he fact that they are frustrating on urban roads and on a track, a dedicated race car would be more fun.

I've always lusted after sport sedans or sports cars, not proper exotics.
Appreciate 7
W///7435.50
kyriian872.00
XMetal1096.50
heavyD^23684.00
      06-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

A 911 isn’t an exotic though

Exotics aren’t really point A to point A cars anymore. I mean, they are if you can’t get over the drawbacks. But the modern exotics have largely gotten over the big problem with racking up miles - reliability. And they’ve also come a long way ergonomically since the days of the Countach.

Of the other concerns:
Compromised utility - this is true. But if you don’t need to haul stuff/people, not an issue
Attention - only a showstopper if you can’t deal with it
Ingress/egress - this is a real issue if you have back/knee problems. Otherwise you get used to it
General fear of using it - this is what i think everyone’s real hang-up is. Fear of depreciation/crashing/breaking it or whatever. If you can get over yourself it’s a true non-issue. I realized that i got just as upset when i damaged my ‘92 Civic as i did my McLaren so….i decided to just drive what i want and just live with it. Sure, repair/value diminution costs are much higher with exotics but…you’re paying so much for these things not to enjoy them. Good insurance of course helps a lot.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
A 911 isn’t an exotic though
I think that is the point though, once you clear that bar it gets a bit awkward. Re. the big underlying fears, such as crashing etc, for me, one of them is the size of these cars. Most are fucking WIDE, like REALLY wide. Zero margin for error.

Last edited by Alfisti; 06-16-2022 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Depending on your definition of exotic, after all the Huracan is an R8 with a different shell - my R8 is one of the best daily driveable cars that I've ever had. I'm just too paranoid to leave it parked anywhere so I don't use it as much as I want to.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

911s are a good tradeoff. you are getting an exotic level driving experience, at least with the GT cars and Turbo while still flying under the radar and having good ground clearance. ingress/egress is debatable. a gt3 with buckets isn't as easy to get in and out of as a ferrari/lambo. Plus i like that 911s have perfect stance from the factory, other exotics look like 4x4s with 3-4 inches of wheelgap. And if you lower them to get rid of it you scrape.

Fear is the biggest problem like darthone said. If you scrape, get hail damage, someone bumps your car and you need to file an insurance claim.. you are automatically taking a 10% hit with the carfax unless you fix it yourself out of pocket. depreciation per mile is also going to much higher than other cars. more mileage = more service =more things that wear out, when things need replacement they are expensive. one ferrari shock that went bad on my 458 was like 3k to fix at a good indy shop. 2 year service on a gt3 isnt cheap either about $1700 regardless of mileage. if you dont get service done at a reputable place or dealer the next buyer will heckle you about it. people want service records.

these cars are fun when used for leisure, away from traffic, and on good roads. they aren't really fun when you have to be somewhere on time, drive through construction, or a new area of town that is unfamiliar.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 3
NYG10577.50
baege1320.50
      06-16-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post

I have a Ferrari FF and it fixes all of these problems. Definitely gets more attention than a "regular" car but not as much as a 458/Huracan/etc that "look" more exotic. If you took the badges off most people wouldn't even know it's a Ferrari.

Getting in and out, constantly worrying about scraping a carbon lip, etc is one of the reasons I went with an FF over a low-slung mid-engine car.

The 911 is the best all around package by far when you look at value retention, ownership experience, cost of repairs/maintenance (compared to an exotic), ease of daily use, blending in with the crowd (most people don't know the difference between a GT3 and a base 911).

Zero regrets on the FF purchase, best car I have ever personally driven. Every drive is "an experience" whereas you don't really get that feeling with a Porsche, even a GT3 doesn't have the same "special" feel to it despite being an incredible car.
Appreciate 2
NYG10577.50
      06-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Just rent an exotic once a year, satisfy your hunger...and avoid all the hassles of owning a car that many don't drive often or long for fear of depreciation and such.

During the pandemic, I rented a Ferrari 458 and an FF off of Turo, had a blast for 3 to 4 days...all by myself, in the canyons of Cali and the nearby hills of Seattle. Had a blast. Turned the cars back in, and my thirst was satiated.

I'd rather rent the experience than own it when it comes to exotics. No worries about maintenance, depreciation, or any of that.

IMO, the juice is not worth the squeeze, unless you're wealthy enough to not worry about depreciation. If I have to be concerned about my precious car losing value every time I drive it, it's just not worth it to me.
Appreciate 4
baege1320.50
HNSKP311.50
W///7435.50
      06-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
If you hold on long enough that dip reverses and the car becomes more valuable than when you bought it.

I guess another plus for 911s, they don't dip much in value.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 02:34 PM   #11
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

I bought a new Ferrari F355 Spider (red of course) in 1997 and used it as my daily driver for about 3 years. We also ran several FCA rallies each year until 2005 when we decided to add another mini-me to the household. I sold it and my BMW 540 6 speed and purchased a new 2007 Porsche C4S. The Ferrari was very reliable - the only problem with it in 10 years was the automatic seat actuators for the drop top and routine maintenance which was no trivial cost.

The Porsche blends and never gave it a second thought parking it at restaurants and out shopping. Most people would walk right by it and not give it a second glance (it was gray). Before I bought the Ferrari I made peace with the fact that if I got it I was going to drive it - hard - and not worry about parking lot or road rash. And I did. It was very liberating to park it in downtown Baltimore in a pay lot for lunch and not give it a second thought.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7833.00
jesm203.00
      06-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I think that is the point though, once you clear that bar it gets a bit awkward. Re. the big underlying fears, such as crashing etc, for me, one of them is the size of these cars. Most are fucking WIDE, like REALLY wide. Zero margin for error.
We’re on the same page re: the 911.

No question these shits are super wide, but IMO it’s actually the lack of visibility that takes more getting used to. With that said, your average exotic car is still much easier to drive than all these goddam lifted trucks that are 100x the number of exotics and none of their drivers know how to drive them
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #13
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Just rent an exotic once a year, satisfy your hunger...and avoid all the hassles of owning a car that many don't drive often or long for fear of depreciation and such.

During the pandemic, I rented a Ferrari 458 and an FF off of Turo, had a blast for 3 to 4 days...all by myself, in the canyons of Cali and the nearby hills of Seattle. Had a blast. Turned the cars back in, and my thirst was satiated.

I'd rather rent the experience than own it when it comes to exotics. No worries about maintenance, depreciation, or any of that.

IMO, the juice is not worth the squeeze, unless you're wealthy enough to not worry about depreciation. If I have to be concerned about my precious car losing value every time I drive it, it's just not worth it to me.

This is a pretty good perspective. I briefly contemplated going the 570s route instead of the G83, but I'd only be able to justify it as a sole car, and I'd become ludicrously obsessive about keeping it mint, therefore negating a lot of the value in ownership.

I'm thinking I'll get a huracan at the point where the entire purchase is from disposable income, and I can actually drive the thing with no regard, to exactly your point.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #14
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
This is a pretty good perspective. I briefly contemplated going the 570s route instead of the G83, but I'd only be able to justify it as a sole car, and I'd become ludicrously obsessive about keeping it mint, therefore negating a lot of the value in ownership.

I'm thinking I'll get a huracan at the point where the entire purchase is from disposable income, and I can actually drive the thing with no regard, to exactly your point.
That's the way to do it, Akt. If I get an exotic, if I'm fortunate enough, it won't be a Cars & Coffee museum piece for me and others to simply gawk at. It's going on a few trips each year, and I'm driving it regularly (definitely a few times/month). If I can't afford the regular maintenance, I won't buy it. If I'm mostly just going to look at it, I can look at plenty of YouTube videos for that.

Or, I'll buy one as an investment, and rarely drive it. It'll just sit in the garage under a $2,000 cover waiting for me to cash out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #15
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

I don't think most people buying Exotics are concerned with losing value? I bought my
458 used from a friend of a friend. He went 488. Lucky bastard. To me, all cars are meant to be driven. I'm not saying to take every time you run to Wawa or the strip club:-) Enjoy them, drive them like you stole Em. Tomorrow you could be blown away in another horrible shooting. I just let me nephew take it to the Prom. Lol. He was the man that night. The car came back clean and full of gas. 😂 No damage:-) It's just a car. The make them every fucking day and all the spare parts and bumpers you could ever need.
Appreciate 6
Dino GT35121.00
NYG10577.50
TTM0TION421.00
Tyga113227.00
      06-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #16
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it certainly does require a mindset and a certain budget. If you have accepted the fact that you'll pay more not just for the car but the risk and the upkeep, then you'll be content driving the thing. Btw this is not much different from Honda/Toyota drivers stepping up to BMW and becoming miserable because they hate how much more everything costs.

No judgment to those who are perfectly happy keeping it shiny, garaged, and out only on special occasions. But if owning the car stresses you out, that's no bueno
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #17
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I don't think most people buying Exotics are concerned with losing value? I bought my
458 used from a friend of a friend. He went 488. Lucky bastard. To me, all cars are meant to be driven. I'm not saying to take every time you run to Wawa or the strip club:-) Enjoy them, drive them like you stole Em. Tomorrow you could be blown away in another horrible shooting. I just let me nephew take it to the Prom. Lol. He was the man that night. The car came back clean and full of gas. 😂 No damage:-) It's just a car. The make them every fucking day and all the spare parts and bumpers you could ever need.

You, sir, are fucking awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #18
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g money View Post
i don't think most people buying exotics are concerned with losing value? I bought my
458 used from a friend of a friend. He went 488. Lucky bastard. To me, all cars are meant to be driven. I'm not saying to take every time you run to wawa or the strip club:-) enjoy them, drive them like you stole em. Tomorrow you could be blown away in another horrible shooting. I just let me nephew take it to the prom. Lol. He was the man that night. The car came back clean and full of gas. 😂 no damage:-) it's just a car. The make them every fucking day and all the spare parts and bumpers you could ever need.

You, sir, are fucking awesome.
😘🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #19
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Just came back from a little MTL trip. Being F1 weekend there were plenty of nice cars cruising around on top of what is already usual for the area.

But I can't fathom why/how anyone would willingly bounce around a low slung 458 or 720s down those roads.

On the way back we spotted a little Porsche convoy down the 401 with a GT2RS and GT4, you would hardly be able to tell what it was beside the big ass wing on the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #20
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

All this 911 talk in an exotic thread lol. If I am in the market for an exotic, I'm not looking at a 911. I'm looking at a Ferrari, R8, etc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Literally no one said 911 was an exotic.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #22
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
All this 911 talk in an exotic thread lol. If I am in the market for an exotic, I'm not looking at a 911. I'm looking at a Ferrari, R8, etc
All this R8 talk in an exotic thread lol. The R8, like the NSX it copied, is vastly different than a true exotic. It's not just about rarity, price and performance numbers, you have to suffer for real exotics.
Appreciate 0