2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anybody else with "Increase Battery Discharge"

04-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
dchartier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

This happened all the time on my old 2007 X5. The problem was so bad I lemon lawed the car. The warning of increased battery discharge was merely a symptom of a serious problem with the car's electrical system. Three times over seven months, I would start to get this warning. And each of those times, my car completely shut down on the highway. To say it was scary situation would be a gross understatement! The first time the dealer replaced the battery, the second time they replaced the voltage regulator, and the third time I lemon lawed it.

I wouldn't wish that problem on anyone, so I hope this isn't anything like what you're having....
      04-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
I got the same reply. Tech said it showed my car's lights or whatever was left on. I said ' the car shuts everything off in 15 minutes'. Reply " I dunno".

Anyhow..they kept the car for a day to recharge it.
Hmm. Okay. Thanks. I'll go with 15 minutes then, tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchartier View Post
This happened all the time on my old 2007 X5. The problem was so bad I lemon lawed the car. The warning of increased battery discharge was merely a symptom of a serious problem with the car's electrical system. Three times over seven months, I would start to get this warning. And each of those times, my car completely shut down on the highway. To say it was scary situation would be a gross understatement! The first time the dealer replaced the battery, the second time they replaced the voltage regulator, and the third time I lemon lawed it.

I wouldn't wish that problem on anyone, so I hope this isn't anything like what you're having....
Can't believe you're a return customer; I've just about had it; flat out rubbish, complete lies.

Last edited by dbs600; 04-05-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
dchartier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

Yeah, some people think I was nuts for lemon lawing my X5 and using the money to buy a new F10. Knock on wood, everything's been good with my 550i so far. But if I have similar problems again, I may have to become (God forbid) an Audi owner. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Hmm. Okay. Thanks. I go with 15 minutes then, tomorrow.

Can't believe you're a return customer; I've just about had it; flat out rubbish, complete lies.
      04-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Had it happen once on my F10; after working on my tires and leaving the radio on for the duration of my wheel change out. Next morning the dreaded increase discharge was on the dash. Cleared after a drive to work and then out again for lunch and was kool again with no messages by the time I left for home that evening.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Had something similar on an e39 530 diesel. Basically battery would drain completely, alarm would go off and the car would be dead. Even remote central locking would fail (had to use the key).

After a couple of battery changes, etc (all under warrantee) discovered it was the "pre-heater" coming on all by itself (this is the heater that warms the car until the engine is running at the correct temperature - which can be a while in a diesel as they are much more heat efficient then petrol).

This may not be the case with your car; but the way we found this out was by putting a meter on the car's battery and taking fuses out methodically to see what then stopped the drain...

OK, it's all software nowadays, but it may be a method if nothing else seems to identify the cause?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

I've gotten this message after having left the key in the car while washing. I always lock the car and take the key with me when parking in the garage at night and haven't had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #29
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Cannot begin to describe how upset I am.

Shop foreman said I left my parking lights on and the battery won't be covered. I said I always leave my lights on Auto. He said parking lights are activated by the turn signal stalk and showed me how to turn them on. I said I didn't even know about the feature, much less how to activate it, and that the car should cut off anything accidentally left on after a certain amount of time - to prevent battery drain. He said not with the parking lights. Got nowhere with asking for the printout; he said the report is BMW property and confidential!? Service advisor said a new battery would be $700 ($325 + labor for installation and programming)!? Absolute BS. Dishonoring warranty work on a $100k+ car with a mere 22k miles on the clock / 2 hours labor to "program" a battery. Are we in the twilight zone or something? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS POS COMPANY (AND ITS DEALER NETWORK)? Can't help but think that this is some big joke. Taking this up with the General Manager (Service Manager is useless, as I know corporate to be too). Even if I drop $700 on a new battery, I'm not letting this go. Can't believe it's come to this. Complete disgrace. Total shame. Any advice / insight welcome.

By the way, I always take the key and lock the car.

Otherwise, does Mercedes or Audi have these battery problems, and if so, how do they handle same?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #30
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

The parking lights will not shut off after 15 minutes the side that is activated will stay on until the battery goes flat. If that is the case you should be pushing them to recharge the battery and monitor it over the next few weeks. Afterall the battery has only been drained it doesnt require replacement because it went flat.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Cannot begin to describe how upset I am.

Shop foreman said I left my parking lights on and the battery won't be covered. I said I always leave my lights on Auto. He said parking lights are activated by the turn signal stalk and showed me how to turn them on. I said I didn't even know about the feature, much less how to activate it, and that the car should cut off anything accidentally left on after a certain amount of time - to prevent battery drain. He said not with the parking lights. Got nowhere with asking for the printout; he said the report is BMW property and confidential!? Service advisor said a new battery would be $700 ($325 + labor for installation and programming)!? Absolute BS. Dishonoring warranty work on a $100k+ car with a mere 22k miles on the clock / 2 hours labor to "program" a battery. Are we in the twilight zone or something? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS POS COMPANY (AND ITS DEALER NETWORK)? Can't help but think that this is some big joke. Taking this up with the General Manager (Service Manager is useless, as I know corporate to be too). Even if I drop $700 on a new battery, I'm not letting this go. Can't believe it's come to this. Complete disgrace. Total shame. Any advice / insight welcome.

By the way, I always take the key and lock the car.

Otherwise, does Mercedes or Audi have these battery problems, and if so, how do they handle same?

Try another dealer if its close by
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 M5

Speaking for a 2012 Q7, they do not have the same issue. I had it on my 09 X6 50i. One of the many reasons I traded it for the Q7.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
If that is the case you should be pushing them to recharge the battery and monitor it over the next few weeks. Afterall the battery has only been drained it doesnt require replacement because it went flat.
They stated they charged the battery, but that is isn't charging fully. Good point, however, that the battery shouldn't require replacement simply because it supposedly went flat (I never needed to actually jump the battery, however).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They stated they charged the battery, but that is isn't charging fully. Good point, however, that the battery shouldn't require replacement simply because it supposedly went flat (I never needed to actually jump the battery, however).
No and if they try and fob you off don't let them. The battery fitted to our cars is an AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Matt), Its whats known as a deep cycle battery and is used in applications where they get heavily used a lot both discharging and recharging frequently (such as campers and caravans). They use them on our cars because of the electrical system charging and discharging so frequently with the likes of brake regeneration etc. If it wont hold a full charge then it is clearly faulty.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #35
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
No and if they try and fob you off don't let them. The battery fitted to our cars is an AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Matt), Its whats known as a deep cycle battery and is used in applications where they get heavily used a lot both discharging and recharging frequently (such as campers and caravans). They use them on our cars because of the electrical system charging and discharging so frequently with the likes of brake regeneration etc. If it wont hold a full charge then it is clearly faulty.
This is exceptionally helpful; thank you!

I was told that when it isn't fully charged, sulfur builds up and damages the battery; not sure whether or not true, but even one instance of going flat should not result in not being able to fully charge the battery as you say.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Good news: General Manager of dealer states they’re going to goodwill the battery. Crazy I had to take it up with him and crazy they’re “goodwilling” it instead of “warrantying” it, but such is the game corporate plays. Thank you for your support everyone.

Could a software issue have cause this? At one point I noticed a key data report stated there was a new “Software Integration Level” available, but whenever I ask my service advisor he states there are no updates. How do I find out what my car has and what’s available?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

ALSO, when experiencing the “increased battery discharge” / “charge battery” problem and the car is started with the side view mirrors folded in, there are times the mirrors do not deploy upon driving off or pressing the button on the driver’s door, where it takes 5-10 minutes of driving before they can be deployed. This is EXCEPTIONALLY dangerous and I don’t understand why it happens when other features work (i.e.: windows, seats, instrument cluster, radio, HVAC, heated and cooled seats) even under the “increased battery discharge” / “charge battery” situations. Is there any way to “code” this so power goes to the mirrors upon startup, without needing to drive 5-10 minutes with them folded?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
535Individual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Individual (12/2012)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp77 View Post
Been having this problem for over a month. 1st time in they told me to trickle charge the battery and lock the car at night. Did that and a few days later it was back. Brought it in and they tested it for a few days. Confirmed that something was not "going to sleep" and was draining the battery. Kept it for a week, had the regional tech come in and did some software upgrades. They thought they had it fixed but when i picked it up it reared its ugly head again. Waiting to hear back as to the next step.
Did you change to LED lights in front overhead panel?
2013 535i BMW Individual Moonstone(Mondstein)Metallic with BMW Individual composition•Platinum Ext. Merino leather with Piano Black Trim•Individual wood inlay steering wheel•Ceramic Controls•B & O Sound System•Driver Assist Package•Luxury Seating Package•Technology Package• Premium Package•Dynamic Damping Control•Parking Assistant•Power rear sunshade•Soft-close automatic doors•Automatic high beams•
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Trojan915
Rep
Drives: 2011, 535i, Space Gray, Manual

I'm also having problems with my 2011, 535i car battery. I took my car to my local dealership and they told me I needed a new battery because the one I had could no longer hold a charge. I asked if the manufacturer's warranty would cover this and they said no. They said the vehicle computer showed I was not shutting down the vehicle properly. According to my service advisor, turning off the engine in my garage was not sufficient. I needed to set the alarm every time and this would shut off everything. I almost fell off my chair when they told me the price for a new battery was $865. They're blaming me for "being negligent". I believe that since I didn't buy my car from them, they don't want to help me. I called Sears and they have two batteries that will work for my car, a Diehard Gold and an AGM. They are priced at $169 and $179, respectively. The Sears rep said that they can install for $20. Does anybody know if these are good replacement batteries and if they will void my remaining warranty?
Thanks....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #40
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

AGM batteries are what we have in our cars, problem is, however, that dealers want 2.5 hours of labor to supposedly 'program' replacements, stating we can't simply disconnect an old battery and connect a new one…

Last edited by dbs600; 04-11-2013 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #41
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan915 View Post
I'm also having problems with my 2011, 535i car battery. I took my car to my local dealership and they told me I needed a new battery because the one I had could no longer hold a charge. I asked if the manufacturer's warranty would cover this and they said no. They said the vehicle computer showed I was not shutting down the vehicle properly. According to my service advisor, turning off the engine in my garage was not sufficient. I needed to set the alarm every time and this would shut off everything. I almost fell off my chair when they told me the price for a new battery was $865. They're blaming me for "being negligent". I believe that since I didn't buy my car from them, they don't want to help me. I called Sears and they have two batteries that will work for my car, a Diehard Gold and an AGM. They are priced at $169 and $179, respectively. The Sears rep said that they can install for $20. Does anybody know if these are good replacement batteries and if they will void my remaining warranty?
Thanks....
You can fit another AGM battery of exactly the same size but for the car to recognise it, it would need to be registered. If you put a battery in of a different size then the car would need to be coded for the new capacity of the battery and then registered too. The cars electrics treat the battery differently over its life time, so you need to tell it when a new one is fitted.

I don't understand why they are selling you guys new batteries and not just charging them up. As for not locking the car there may be some truth in that but I would expect that if not locked the car would still shut down properly but just take longer to realise its been left (its about 15minutes to shut down after the car is locked).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #42
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
i brought the car to the dealer today. they said the there was a malfunction with the parking brake. they ended up replacing the battery as a precaution.

dont ask me why a malfunction on the p-brake will cause the battery to discharge, i'm just glad the problem is gone.
Strange my 2013 might be experiencing the same problem.

My parking brake works fine and I always use it when i park the car but I tried NOT using it for the past week and I did not get the increase battery drain warning. I normally get the warning every week since i don't drive the car M-F.

I will keep testing this out by not using my parking brake at all to see if thats the culprit to my issue.

Alan
      04-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
dealers want 2.5 hours of labor to supposedly 'program' replacements, stating we can't simply disconnect an old battery and connect a new one…
I had Chase (itschase) program my daughter's car after installing a new battery. It took him 5 minutes and that included plugging in the computer.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #44
Trojan915
Rep
Drives: 2011, 535i, Space Gray, Manual

They charged the battery, however, they told I needed a new one.
Appreciate 0