2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Apple CarPlay Install options

10-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
SpartanWolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i XDrive MSport

Apple CarPlay Install options

What is everyone doing in getting Apple CarPlay to play nice with iDrive??

Found this on a quick search / is there a more popular option?

HifiMax site

BMW Original Car Carplay Upgrade

This Apple Carplay (Android Auto) interface is specially designed for BMW original screen, after installing this module, you will have apple Carplay & Android Auto and mirror link functions.

Wireless Apple Carplay Android auto for BMW 1~7 series X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 CIC NBT EVO
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

I'm using an Andream NBT box for my 2014 F10. TONS more info at the following thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
      11-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Creeky B
Rep
Drives: 435dX

I am using the Andream as well. In general day to day works well. On occasion losses Bluetooth connection for wireless airplay. But setting up again is no issue for me.
My best addition to the car by far. Use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeky B View Post
I am using the Andream as well. In general day to day works well. On occasion losses Bluetooth connection for wireless airplay. But setting up again is no issue for me.
My best addition to the car by far. Use it all the time.
Honestly, one of the main reasons I'm planning to keep my car for a lot longer. My wife's volvo has carplay and I legit wanted a car that has it.

Last edited by ThaiBruin; 11-10-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Bump to all of the above. Installed a Joyeauto WJBM 3 in my 2012 f10. Awesome device. Helping me keep the car much longer than anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i Xdrive

Exclamation Andream Carplay MMI and OEM camera

I have a 2014 535I XDrive and this past weekend, installed the Andream Carplay MMi. It was not difficult and hardest was removing the two green sound connectors and installing in the new system without breaking the clip. I also successfully hid the unit and carplay working great. Love siri use and waze and my music.

I have a problem though. I have OEM camera with PDC and while in carplay and I go into reverse, the Camera does not show but I can hear the beeping. If I hit menu and go back to Idrive, the camera works perfectly.

I believe that the Rear view camera should automatically pop up whenever the reverse gear is engaged. It overrides everything and Carplay mmi or regular iDrive.

Does anyone have any thought on this and maybe there is an issue with the Carplay settings or the unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascfo View Post
I have a 2014 535I XDrive and this past weekend, installed the Andream Carplay MMi. It was not difficult and hardest was removing the two green sound connectors and installing in the new system without breaking the clip. I also successfully hid the unit and carplay working great. Love siri use and waze and my music.

I have a problem though. I have OEM camera with PDC and while in carplay and I go into reverse, the Camera does not show but I can hear the beeping. If I hit menu and go back to Idrive, the camera works perfectly.

I believe that the Rear view camera should automatically pop up whenever the reverse gear is engaged. It overrides everything and Carplay mmi or regular iDrive.

Does anyone have any thought on this and maybe there is an issue with the Carplay settings or the unit?

I had mine professionally installed, and I know I saw the guy going into the settings and adjusted some of the camera options. I'm not sure which ones they were as I was just happy to see that everything worked as it should when he was done. The OEM camera should definitely still work if you're in the MMI and go into reverse.
      12-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Exclamation Andream Carplay MMI

I was able to resolve the issue with OEM camera and now works - Reverse Line Detect must be turned off in the software settings for OEM camera.

I have another question though.

Finally, before I installed carplay, I could make calls using my steering wheel button that was paired with my phone. Per carplay instructions, after I installed car play, I wiped the idrive pairing of my phone and BT. I then set up the phone as carplay BT.

Now, in car play, when I select the phone button on the steering wheel, it says no BT phone connected and to connect.

I would like to use the steering wheel phone button for carplay and does anyone have any thoughts? If I set up BT phone in Idrive again, would there be a conflict on which phone to use when starting car – Idrive or Car play?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was able to resolve the issue with OEM camera and now works - Reverse Line Detect must be turned off in the software settings for OEM camera.

Finally, before I installed carplay, I could make calls using my steering wheel button that was paired with my phone. Per carplay instructions, after I installed car play, I wiped the idrive pairing of my phone and BT. I then set up the phone as carplay BT.

Now, in car play, when I select the phone button on the steering wheel, it says no BT phone connected and to connect.

I would like to use the steering wheel phone button for carplay and does anyone have any thoughts? If I set up BT phone in Idrive again, would there be a conflict on which phone to use when starting car – Idrive or Car play?
I just use Siri to make calls through CarPlay. Haven't had any real issues with that, at least so far. It would be worth a search through this insanely large thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Fairly certain you'll find a fix in there.
      12-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you. I tried and it is a huge database. I tried to search by several items but to no avail. Will try again
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #11
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

As far as my experience goes, no the carplay audio is entirely separate from the vehicle's bluetooth. The steering wheel phone controls don't work with the carplay unit. As a result the only time the steeringwheel phone controls work is when you are BT'd to your phone through iDrive. This would prevent you from using the carplay wirelessly via blue tooth.

If you wanted to use both the steering wheel controls and carplay, you'd have to BT your phone for audio calling and USB plug your phone for carplay.

I highly recommend just using Carplay as the call audio quality is FAR better than the car's bluetooth microphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the detailed response and very helpful
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
scoobdawg
Private
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlymc View Post
As far as my experience goes, no the carplay audio is entirely separate from the vehicle's bluetooth. The steering wheel phone controls don't work with the carplay unit. As a result the only time the steeringwheel phone controls work is when you are BT'd to your phone through iDrive. This would prevent you from using the carplay wirelessly via blue tooth.

If you wanted to use both the steering wheel controls and carplay, you'd have to BT your phone for audio calling and USB plug your phone for carplay.

I highly recommend just using Carplay as the call audio quality is FAR better than the car's bluetooth microphone.
I'm really confused with this - I just got carplay working - Without using the steering wheel button, how do you make phone calls, read messages etc - How do you activate Siri? sorry.. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
nick06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535i

Hickman vs. Bimmertech

I'm looking for the Apple car play. I've narrowed it down to the Bimmertech one and Hifimax one. Which one would be the best option?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:36 AM   #15
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I installed CarPlay into my F10 and it works fine... when it stays on. It'll randomly switch back the factory iDrive without notice. Help please!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #16
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick06 View Post
I'm looking for the Apple car play. I've narrowed it down to the Bimmertech one and Hifimax one. Which one would be the best option?
Did you ever install the Hifimax system? Interested in how seamlessly it functions with iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
ahheadlock
Rep
Drives: f10 535d, E46 M3

I purchased the Mr12Volt Carplay interface:

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp

(mine is the previous model)

The main selling point is it uses the MOST interface for audio so you dont lose any quality by going via AUX.

unfortunately it did not work. It doesn't recognise the iDrive controller, so while it is plugged in you cant navigate anything. I dont know if that's because my car is an AU model or if it just doesn't like the F10 in general. The support was very helpful but ultimately, even with another unit, we couldn't get it working.

Just FYI in case anyone either has one (i would be interested in your experience, if it worked for you) or is considering one.

I'm a little worried that if I purchased one of these other carplay interfaces, i would have similar issues. Has anyone in Australia with an MY12 had success with a carplay interface?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #18
Egoy936
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535

I recommend NBT EVO with oem Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:40 PM   #19
M4kind
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: Bmw F10 528i

I have been using carplay for 2 years. I’ve bought one from aliexpress( they are all the same) and fitted it to CIC system. Normally you can’t skip tracks from your steering wheel because you have to put it to Aux on your i drive. But Use the bluetooth audio from the original cic system or use usb in the glovebox, and now you have perfect quality music and steering wheel full controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #20
M4kind
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: Bmw F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
I purchased the Mr12Volt Carplay interface:

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp

(mine is the previous model)

The main selling point is it uses the MOST interface for audio so you dont lose any quality by going via AUX.

unfortunately it did not work. It doesn't recognise the iDrive controller, so while it is plugged in you cant navigate anything. I dont know if that's because my car is an AU model or if it just doesn't like the F10 in general. The support was very helpful but ultimately, even with another unit, we couldn't get it working.

Just FYI in case anyone either has one (i would be interested in your experience, if it worked for you) or is considering one.

I'm a little worried that if I purchased one of these other carplay interfaces, i would have similar issues. Has anyone in Australia with an MY12 had success with a carplay interface?
I’ve had this issue and I fixed it by switching wires and switches on the back of the unit, make sure you have everything connected correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:26 AM   #21
Mamalik1
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D M SPORT

Hi
I have recently bought a 2016 BMW 518D SE, it has the small screen and I am thinking about a buying a new screen from Ali baba or Ali express, but theres so many to choose from. My budget is around £250.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 01:50 PM   #22
iSlav
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Hi, anyone can tell me what's different between those two

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...yAdapt=glo2pol

https://hifimaxnavi.com/products/bmw...39470505656414

They are looks the same, its worth buying one of these? Anyone have experience buying from aliexpress?

Last edited by iSlav; 03-18-2023 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0