2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW Remote app update released

12-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #45
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Just set up my BMW assist yesterday. The guy on the phone says they disabled unlock because too many people were running the app, throwing the phone in their pocket or purse and inadvertently unlocking the car while walking away. I'm not sure how that would happen with an iPhone, but that is what the guy said. In any event, if I get locked out of my car, I can simply call to get it unlocked, which should only be marginally slower. Not sure what that gets me though because I can't do anything other than sit in the car without the key and you can't lock the keys in the car, so its not like unlocking the car can get you anywhere.

On a related note, can BMW assist let you into your car and then start it for you, in the event you've lost your key while away from home?

**UPDATE**

I just checked with BMW assist. They say, it is possible to lock the car with your key in it, for example they get calls from golfers who have their car key in their golf bag and throw everything into the trunk and lock the car. The car may not be able to read the key. Similarly, if you leave a key in a purse or gym bag next to a cell phone the car might not be able to read the key (best to keep BMW assist's phone number in your wallet in that case so you know what number to call).

As to remote starting, the feature is available in Europe but not in NA at this time. Not sure why. I guess you need to be careful not to misplace your key (especially while you are travelling) as you'll need a replacement to get your car home. I wonder whether GM's "onstar" can remote start your car?

Last edited by Grover432; 12-06-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #46
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Smile Can someone post the .apk file for my remote 1.7?

deleted.

Last edited by Blkthght; 12-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: accidental repost
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #47
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
I currently have android version 1.6 of my bmw remote on my galaxy note 3. I'm looking for 1.7, or any later version. If someone could post the .apk file here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I replied to your request 3 posts ago... did you try that? I was really easy and worked perfectly for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
I replied to your request 3 posts ago... did you try that? I was really easy and worked perfectly for me.
Sorry for the repost and thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try.

UPDATE: It worked. Thank you sir. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by Blkthght; 12-09-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #49
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Just downloaded the "My BMW Remote" app on my iphone 5s. Entered my username and BMW Assist password. It asked me to create a PIN. Successfully got into the app and it recognized my vehicles position.

Under the Settings tab it successfully recognizes my BMW model as, 535i. It includes my BMW's VIN number and color too.

Under the control tab I'm offered the ability to:

1. locking/unlocking

2. Remote Horn

3. Flash Headlights

Regardless of the above romote control item I press I get a pop up display that says, "Data Transfer Successful". Then a rotating circle appears next to the item selected that runs for at least 1 to 1.5 minutes, as if it is processing data or something, but it never actually performs the remote function selected.

What's worse is that within the settings tab under History it identifies the remote task selected, date, time initiated and a message that says, "Service performed succesfully". Again, it never performed the remote function i selected, in this case sounding the horn.

I really don't understand this app. Why does BMW say that BMW Apps is one of many features that comes with the car when it doesn't work?!?

Further, i don't understand why one would want to use this app even if it did work. I mean, the key fob is a remote in its own right. Why would you log into your phone and subsequently into the app when you can beep your horn or lock/unlock your car with the key fob?

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Andy H.; 12-09-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #50
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

If you think about it, there are scenarios when it's useful. Like when you are out of range of the FOB. Or, in the case of Unlock, if you lock your fob in the trunk. Several times I've walked away from the car (out of range of the FOB) and can't remember if I locked it or not.
      12-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #51
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
If you think about it, there are scenarios when it's useful. Like when you are out of range of the FOB. Or, in the case of Unlock, if you lock your fob in the trunk. Several times I've walked away from the car (out of range of the FOB) and can't remember if I locked it or not.
...except that "Unlock" doesn't work and requires you to call BMW Assist to unlock the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #52
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Just set up my BMW assist yesterday. The guy on the phone says they disabled unlock because too many people were running the app, throwing the phone in their pocket or purse and inadvertently unlocking the car while walking away. I'm not sure how that would happen with an iPhone, but that is what the guy said. In any event, if I get locked out of my car, I can simply call to get it unlocked, which should only be marginally slower. Not sure what that gets me though because I can't do anything other than sit in the car without the key and you can't lock the keys in the car, so its not like unlocking the car can get you anywhere.

On a related note, can BMW assist let you into your car and then start it for you, in the event you've lost your key while away from home?

**UPDATE**

I just checked with BMW assist. They say, it is possible to lock the car with your key in it, for example they get calls from golfers who have their car key in their golf bag and throw everything into the trunk and lock the car. The car may not be able to read the key. Similarly, if you leave a key in a purse or gym bag next to a cell phone the car might not be able to read the key (best to keep BMW assist's phone number in your wallet in that case so you know what number to call).

As to remote starting, the feature is available in Europe but not in NA at this time. Not sure why. I guess you need to be careful not to misplace your key (especially while you are travelling) as you'll need a replacement to get your car home. I wonder whether GM's "onstar" can remote start your car?
Is anyone here from Europe, and have the My BMW Remote on their Android/iPhone and can confirm an extra feature of "start car" in their app?

Just curious ... if this is the case ... we should be able to gain that functionality by getting our hands on the app from that country's app store.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post
...except that "Unlock" doesn't work and requires you to call BMW Assist to unlock the car.
Yes. That's well documented and thrashed with many theories as to why it used to do it but now adds the phone call bit. But the App is still used to make the call easy and perform any other authentication or whatever under the covers. None of which may have value to you but are in response to the question posed by Andy H. YMMV.