2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Luxury Seating Package vs. Multicontour Seats

11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Luxury Seating Package vs. Multicontour Seats

Is there a big difference between the Luxury Seating Package vs. the multicontour seat option?

I am on a tight budget, and have to make some cuts. My thinking is that I can just get the multicontour seats rather than the full Luxury Seating package.

I that a mistake? Has anyone had both?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The difference is the ventilated seats and the active Front Seats, hardly worth $1100.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

^^
This

I have no real use for the active seats and I'm torn over the ventilated seats. I don't care for the perforated leather and have heard that BMW's version of ventilation is somewhat weak.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I'm with those guys. Comfort (multi contour) seats are necessary; the luxury package is not.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I have only the comfort seats, they are really comfortable. I also prefer the non perforated leather. Did you ever find your answer about ordering a red car?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
I have only the comfort seats, they are really comfortable. I also prefer the non perforated leather. Did you ever find your answer about ordering a red car?
I did, I should have posted. You have to request the color when you order the car, and then it has to be approved by BMW.

BMW charges $5,000 for colors not listed on their website, for your specific vehicle, and rarely are they more than that.

You can get any color that is available that is currently in production for other vehicles, but still must be approved.

Old resurrected colors are possible, but colors in current production are much more likely to be approved.

I wish I had the cash to order a color I like. I hate the idea of buying a $60,000 plus car, and getting it in a color that is just tolerable.

Choosing a 5-series color is like voting for president in the USA. It is the difference between a turd and a douche.

BMW should add to the 5-series colors:

Non-Metallic Crimson Red, Interlagos Blue, and for BMW individual: Agean Blue Metallic and Tanzanite Blue, just to give the cars some color.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Skip the luxury seats, skip the led lights, order the red!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I ordered the luxury seating package and thought I'd never use the message feature but wanted the cooling for the summer. Turns out, I use the massage just about every night when I get off the uncomfortable train. I also like using the ventilation along with the seat heaters to blow warm air on a very cold day (the first time I tried this my car stunk like burning leather, but just that time and only for about 2 minutes) . I'll get them on my next car, but if I had to cut costs, I could live without them.
      11-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
tougedrifted
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I love my ventilated seats. but then again im in socal and it gets hot out here. But ya if your back sweats the vent seats are ammmazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Is there a big difference between the Luxury Seating Package vs. the multicontour seat option?

I am on a tight budget, and have to make some cuts. My thinking is that I can just get the multicontour seats rather than the full Luxury Seating package.

I that a mistake? Has anyone had both?
If you are on a tight budget ... forget the Luxury Seating Package ... you will only gain seat ventilation that is actually worth anything .... the active seat is a waste of money and a scam if you ask me (i have them in my car) ... I would absolutely not skimp on Multi-Contour seats ... the standard seats suck, and I can not adjust the standard seats into a comfortable position (tried in every 528 POS loaner that i've had over 3 years).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
I did, I should have posted. You have to request the color when you order the car, and then it has to be approved by BMW.

BMW charges $5,000 for colors not listed on their website, for your specific vehicle, and rarely are they more than that.

You can get any color that is available that is currently in production for other vehicles, but still must be approved.

Old resurrected colors are possible, but colors in current production are much more likely to be approved.

I wish I had the cash to order a color I like. I hate the idea of buying a $60,000 plus car, and getting it in a color that is just tolerable.

Choosing a 5-series color is like voting for president in the USA. It is the difference between a turd and a douche.

Non-Metallic Crimson Red, Interlagos Blue, and for BMW individual: Agean Blue Metallic and Tanzanite Blue, just to give the cars some color.
I agree ... the colors available leave much to be desired. In my case ... I get bored of cars quickly and want something new every 2-3 years, so I lease. I could not justify $5000 for a paint color @ 100% depreciation on a 36 month lease that I have no intention on keeping. ... plus the sticker without the custom color was already quickly approaching $90k

However I must have annoyed my CA several time by changing my color selection to Singapore Grey!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think I got it pretty much figured out now.

This is my option and package list:

DHP (Dynamic Handling Package)
Lighting Package
Multi-contour Seats
Harmon Kardon
Sunshades

I will request fog lights when I order, but if they force me to buy an upgrade line; I will forgo the fog lights.

I will request some kind of non-metallic red, but I can’t pay $5,000 for it, so I will probably go with Callisto Grey Metallic with Cinnamon interior.

I am just waiting on the eco-credit to place my order. Maybe they will add a red before I order.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds nice. I had cinnamon in my last F10 and really liked it. The parking camera with guide lines is very useful, highly recommend it. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick when I got my last F10, but I would not order another car without it now that I've lived with it for 3 years. My wife's MB E350 has a camera but without the guide lines and it is useless, the guide lines are what make it useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds nice. I had cinnamon in my last F10 and really liked it. The parking camera with guide lines is very useful, highly recommend it. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick when I got my last F10, but I would not order another car without it now that I've lived with it for 3 years. My wife's MB E350 has a camera but without the guide lines and it is useless, the guide lines are what make it useful.

When you add the parking camera, you have to add the park distance control, and then you might as well add the Driver Assistance package for a few hundred bucks more. Adding that package, actually, adds some resale value to the car.

The problem I am having with building this car: is that almost every package or option you add. Starts you down this very expensive decision tree, and then the car becomes, very quickly, unaffordable for me.

I priced the car with all the options, I wanted, and it was over $80,000. I am very tempted to just order it with just the HK option. The lower payments may give me more pleasure then having all the bells and whistles.

If I do have to make more cuts I will probably do this:

Alpine White\Cinnamon

Harmon Kardon

Multi-Contour seats

I wish I could check all the packages when configuring the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know what you mean, ordering my car, I was torn about which options not to get, I of course wanted them all! You mentioned you'd prefer an F11, so would I. Can I assume the 328xd is out of the question? You can get a 328xd wagon loaded up with everything for $60k, and it comes in red!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean, ordering my car, I was torn about which options not to get, I of course wanted them all! You mentioned you'd prefer an F11, so would I. Can I assume the 328xd is out of the question? You can get a 328xd wagon loaded up with everything for $60k, and it comes in red!!
Actually, I fully planned to trade my 335d in for the F31 Sports Wagon. I had my checkbook in hand, and it already configured (in red of course).

I drove 4 hours to test drive one. They didn't have the diesel, so I drove the petrol version.

The electric steering was terrible. I felt like I was driving a Lexus.

Also, there was no six cylinder diesel. Only a four banger.

In addition, the interior was downgraded, and it felt cheap.

But while I was there I drove a 535X, and loved it. I didn't like the steering on the F10, but it was much better than the Sports Wagon.

So when they got a 535dx in, I again, drove 4 hours to test drive one. It seems like they improved the steering in the 2014 model over the 2013 model. At least, it felt stiffer to me. Which is what I prefer.

I figured if I went light on the options it would be close to the same price as the Sports Wagon. Also, the 535dx has some options standard that I would have had to pay extra for on the Sports Wagon.

So yeah, 328xd Wagon is out of the question.

If they gave it hydraulic steering, improved the interior, and gave it a six cylinder diesel. I would buy one tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Hey DL, I have the luxury seating package. In one year, I have used the ventilation perhaps half a dozen times. It does cool you down if your car was parked in the hot sun, for instance. Otherwise, I would say nice but not necessary. The ventilation holes are fine. I've had the other and can't really distinguish there from a comfort/appearance standpoint.

The butt massage feature (as my kids call it) is more weird then necessary. On longer drives of over an hour, I will turn it on and it is kind of nice. But it IS strange. Given that, I would skip the luxury seating package.

I would also skip the sun shades. Had them on my last car and hardly ever used them. Don't have them on this car and don't miss them.

Good luck!

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:

Old resurrected colors are possible, but colors in current production are much more likely to be approved

Are you calling my white M Sport a Turd or a Douche? I think not. I get the thumbs up driving down the road. I think you should add a personal line of credit on your house and get it exactly the way you want it.
      11-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Are you calling my white M Sport a Turd or a Douche? I think not. I get the thumbs up driving down the road. I think you should add a personal line of credit on your house and get it exactly the way you want it.
No of course not, I am sure your Alpine White car is beautiful..

However, I love my non-metallic red, and just wish there were some brighter color choices, especially red.

I want a wider spectrum of colors to choose from. All the color choices are monochromatic. I do kind of like the Pyrite Brown Metallic, but I can't pay $2,500 with the park distance control.

Maybe I should start a fund for those of you guys who might want to donate to my BMW color charity. For those of us who are under privileged, and can't afford the BMW special colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
No of course not, I am sure your Alpine White car is beautiful..

However, I love my non-metallic red, and just wish there were some brighter color choices, especially red.

I want a wider spectrum of colors to choose from. All the color choices are monochromatic. I do kind of like the Pyrite Brown Metallic, but I can't pay $2,500 with the park distance control.

Maybe I should start a fund for those of you guys who might want to donate to my BMW color charity. For those of us who are under privileged, and can't afford the BMW special colors.
Dude, if you lease your car over 48 months, adding $7,000 in options is $85.00/month. That is one supper out with your wife. You should just order what you want. On the colour, I doubt you will want to spend $5,000 for a custom colour, just one of the compromises we have to make when choosing options.
      11-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Dude, if you lease your car over 48 months, adding $7,000 in options is $85.00/month. That is one supper out with your wife. You should just order what you want. On the colour, I doubt you will want to spend $5,000 for a custom colour, just one of the compromises we have to make when choosing options.
No way am I leasing, I am buyer. For me leasing makes no sense. I have always bought my cars, and sold them at price that costs me a lot less than leasing per year.

I am definitely am not spending $5,000 on a paint job.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
When you add the parking camera, you have to add the park distance control, and then you might as well add the Driver Assistance package for a few hundred bucks more. Adding that package, actually, adds some resale value to the car.

The problem I am having with building this car: is that almost every package or option you add. Starts you down this very expensive decision tree, and then the car becomes, very quickly, unaffordable for me.

I priced the car with all the options, I wanted, and it was over $80,000. I am very tempted to just order it with just the HK option. The lower payments may give me more pleasure then having all the bells and whistles.

If I do have to make more cuts I will probably do this:

Alpine White\Cinnamon

Harmon Kardon

Multi-Contour seats

I wish I could check all the packages when configuring the car.
Since you have a budget, HK sound and MC seats make a great deal of sense. Out of the remaining low cost options I'd highly recommend the shades- good for privacy and shade from the sun.
Appreciate 0