2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12.3" Popout Android Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 5 Series F10 F11 F18

02-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #89
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
No noises on the navifly 12.3 inch for me. Fitment was good and had no issues with squeaks or anything like that. I was worried when I ordered mine seeing people complain about it but all good with me !
Does the Navifly unit require running an AUX cable to the center console or does it tap into the AUX lines directly on the back of the NBT navigation unit?

Thinking about getting one of these for my F10 M5 to enable CarPlay along with Waze, etc on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #90
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Does the Navifly unit require running an AUX cable to the center console or does it tap into the AUX lines directly on the back of the NBT navigation unit?

Thinking about getting one of these for my F10 M5 to enable CarPlay along with Waze, etc on my car.
I'm using Navifly unit. No need to plug in the AUX cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #91
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Quote:

Yes I second that, didn't have to run aux to the Center. Just plugged everything at the back of the NBT unit .
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #92
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
Yes I second that, didn't have to run aux to the Center. Just plugged everything at the back of the NBT unit .
Thanks guys, I have one on order now.

Another question, are you guys using a GPS signal splitter on your units? I read something about using a regular splitter cable could cause issues and than an actual diplexer is recommended. The cost of a duplexer isn't bad, but shipping on them is more than the actual unit itself!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #93
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Another question, are you guys using a GPS signal splitter on your units? I read something about using a regular splitter cable could cause issues and than an actual diplexer is recommended. The cost of a duplexer isn't bad, but shipping on them is more than the actual unit itself!
Not necessary. If you use your Android for navigation, I would suggest to plug your OEM GPS cable into Android HU and use the GPS cable from the Android HU to the NBT OEM unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:49 PM   #94
ooati
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:

Dracon

How'd your install and post-install go? Care to share details?

Looking at buying one of these on Alibaba from either UGODE, YZG or KANOR sellers.

Last edited by ooati; 03-11-2021 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #95
HoiHman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i

I bought the 12.3 screen from a local (dutch) seller at premium price (compared to Aliexpress)

I knew it was more expensive, but i did not like the blue ray screens from Navifly and did not want to take the risk receiving a screen i did not like from china.

In the whatapps i specifically asked about the screen and the seller mentioned they use an LG screen with matt coating. I replied that i was ok with that as long as it's not a very blue looking screen.

So with the track and trace saying i would receive the screen today i decided to already strip the car and remove the old screen.

Then i opened the package

Ofcourse i was disappointed, but late last night i received a whatsapp message from the seller that the blue ray filter is easy to remove.
So use a sharp blade to lift up one of the edges and there it is

Last edited by HoiHman; 03-14-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
ooati6.50
      03-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #96
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoiHman View Post
I bought the 12.3 screen from a local (dutch) seller at premium price (compared to Aliexpress)

I knew it was more expensive, but i did not like the blue ray screens from Navifly and did not want to take the risk receiving a screen i did not like from china.

In the whatapps i specifically asked about the screen and the seller mentioned they use an LG screen with matt coating. I replied that i was ok with that as long as it's not a very blue looking screen.

So with the track and trace saying i would receive the screen today i decided to already strip the car and remove the old screen.

Then i opened the package

Ofcourse i'm mad and disappointed, turns out the local seller is less reliable then his chinese counterparts.

As long as the screen is not installed, i might have chance at sending it back.
Another option is trying to remove the blue anti glare layer.

But how do i know for sure this layer is even removable at all? And is it difficult to do?
Sorry buddy, whatever pic you tried to post seems to be blocked or gone. All I see is a minus sign inside a circle. Don't know if others also see what I see.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #97
SigBoi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Anyone have experience with the inav units from 4x4 canada? Is Avin the most popular brand for these? Sorry about newbie questions just found out about these units and am learning a lot from this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #98
HoiHman
Registered
Rep

EvntHrzn Sorry the picture should be visible now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:54 AM   #99
Terry87
Registered
Rep

Hello,

I'm also interested in the Navifly pop-up navigation but i'm concerned that the blue screen will drive me crazy. Is it a filter/film that can be removed or its the screen glass having a blueish tint?
Also does someone have an image with brightness to full, is the blueish color still that visible at full brightness?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #100
HoiHman
Registered
Rep

I have edited my previous post since it's was very easy to remove the filter with my screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #101
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoiHman View Post
I have edited my previous post since it's was very easy to remove the filter with my screen.
I'm glad you sorted it out. I didn't know what you were trying to do without being able to see the pic.

FYI for future reference, another method that also works aside from a sharp blade or exacto-knife, is to stick a piece of strong adhesive tape like duct tape in the corner and pull up slowly (if nothing comes up, there's likely no screen protector there) Just another option

I'm glad you figured it out though. I also had to take a leap of faith in messing with the corner of that blue filter to remove it. I did not like the way it blurred the text on the screen (as per my pics earlier in this thread).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #102
Egoy936
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535

I have made an install video on this: https://youtu.be/l1NBvD5TtTs
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #103
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooati View Post
Dracon

How'd your install and post-install go? Care to share details?

Looking at buying one of these on Alibaba from either UGODE, YZG or KANOR sellers.
Honestly, I wound up sending it back in the end. It's a nice device and the unit itself was well built, but I found the integration with the vehicle to be extremely clunky and not well thought out.

Installation and everything was really easy, but it just didn't feel polished. Integration with the existing iDrive system was pretty bad, it kept interfering with the OEM Rear Seat Entertainment system causing it to stop playing what was in the rear screens.

I also still don't understand why they couldn't integrate with the OEM microphone on these units, even the cheap CarPlay MMI boxes integrate perfectly with the OEM microphone. So you'd have to install another microphone for the nav along with the odd external speaker if you wanted to have navigation directions spoken while you were out of the Android interface.

The stock interface wasn't all that great either, it emulates the iDrive 7 interface in style but none of the tiles are live tiles (displays active information) unless you're using the built in media player (which is terrible). However, there are several projects on the Android Automotive Discord that you can use to skin your own interface and customize it a lot.

On a side note, I do have a better GPS signal splitter (actually blocks phantom power from the headunit to avoid issues, similar to the Blankenburg units which can't be acquired in the US) than the standard FAKRA Y-cable if someone's interested in it.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #104
ooati
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I wound up sending it back in the end. It's a nice device and the unit itself was well built, but I found the integration with the vehicle to be extremely clunky and not well thought out.

Installation and everything was really easy, but it just didn't feel polished. Integration with the existing iDrive system was pretty bad, it kept interfering with the OEM Rear Seat Entertainment system causing it to stop playing what was in the rear screens.

I also still don't understand why they couldn't integrate with the OEM microphone on these units, even the cheap CarPlay MMI boxes integrate perfectly with the OEM microphone. So you'd have to install another microphone for the nav along with the odd external speaker if you wanted to have navigation directions spoken while you were out of the Android interface.

The stock interface wasn't all that great either, it emulates the iDrive 7 interface in style but none of the tiles are live tiles (displays active information) unless you're using the built in media player (which is terrible). However, there are several projects on the Android Automotive Discord that you can use to skin your own interface and customize it a lot.

On a side note, I do have a better GPS signal splitter (actually blocks phantom power from the headunit to avoid issues, similar to the Blankenburg units which can't be acquired in the US) than the standard FAKRA Y-cable if someone's interested in it.
Dracon

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So what did you end up doing? Did you just go back to using the OEM iDrive head unit system display?

I don't have OEM rear seat entertainment, so your described issues won't apply to me.

I think for my use case scenarios, the very minimum base case would be using Google Maps or Waze on a touch screen for directions internationally.

I feel like the issues with OEM mic integration can be overcome via immediate config workarounds and (hopefully) future firmware/software updates.

PS: What is the make and version of the GPS signal splitter you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #105
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooati View Post
Dracon

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So what did you end up doing? Did you just go back to using the OEM iDrive head unit system display?

I don't have OEM rear seat entertainment, so your described issues won't apply to me.

I think for my use case scenarios, the very minimum base case would be using Google Maps or Waze on a touch screen for directions internationally.

I feel like the issues with OEM mic integration can be overcome via immediate config workarounds and (hopefully) future firmware/software updates.

PS: What is the make and version of the GPS signal splitter you have?
Currently, I'm using one of the Andream CarPlay/AndroidAuto MMI boxes, it's not perfect, but for half the price it works really really well. Full integration with the OEM microphone, etc. and receives constant updates.

I use Waze on it for navigation (via CarPlay) and it works very well. You do lose the touchscreen capabilities, but the iDrive controls work *very* well on these units so it's not so much an issue.

It's an NStock PD5120 splitter, designed for GPS signal use and DC blocking on the secondary port so you aren't sending over voltage to the OEM GPS antenna. Along with the appropriate cables (SMA to FAKRA).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #106
ooati
Rep

Quote:
Currently, I'm using one of the Andream CarPlay/AndroidAuto MMI boxes, it's not perfect, but for half the price it works really really well. Full integration with the OEM microphone, etc. and receives constant updates.

I use Waze on it for navigation (via CarPlay) and it works very well. You do lose the touchscreen capabilities, but the iDrive controls work *very* well on these units so it's not so much an issue.

It's an NStock PD5120 splitter, designed for GPS signal use and DC blocking on the secondary port so you aren't sending over voltage to the OEM GPS antenna. Along with the appropriate cables (SMA to FAKRA).
Got it. iDrive and OEM audio integration works VERY well.

Just looked up the PD5120 splitter. Wouldn't the GPS210 be more appropriate for this use case? Any reason why you went with the PD520 instead?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #107
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Howdy, folks. I stumbled onto this thread as I was researching this Android Multimedia system for my F10. I think this Android Multimedia system is really of the most benefit to owners, like myself, who have the 6.5" CIC system and no navigation. Not only do we gain an updated multimedia infotainment system, we also get almost double the screen real estate -- double bang for the buck!

I usually drive up to areas where the cellular signal can get really dodgy, so I am interested in the onboard navigation that comes with the unit, likely iGo, where I can download the offline maps. I'm wondering where the SD/microSD card for the iGo goes on the unit? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #108
jackpot08
Rep

thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #109
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikeycrapper View Post
Howdy, folks. I stumbled onto this thread as I was researching this Android Multimedia system for my F10. I think this Android Multimedia system is really of the most benefit to owners, like myself, who have the 6.5" CIC system and no navigation. Not only do we gain an updated multimedia infotainment system, we also get almost double the screen real estate -- double bang for the buck!

I usually drive up to areas where the cellular signal can get really dodgy, so I am interested in the onboard navigation that comes with the unit, likely iGo, where I can download the offline maps. I'm wondering where the SD/microSD card for the iGo goes on the unit? TIA.
Going from 6.5" to 12.3" is almost quadruple of the screen area. It's going to be huge initially but will get use to it. Now I feel my wife X3 10" screen look small. As for iGO, you just download the map and drop it in the iGO map folder. As for where to get it, just do a search in google.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #110
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

I verified my LVDS yesterday and found out that my F10 (2013 528i) has the 6-pin LVDS connector. However, it has the CIC system UI. I think I should order the NBT version of the multimedia system, but just want to verify/clarify before I pull the trigger. Can someone please confirm? Thanks!
Appreciate 0