2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rattling/Knocking Sound from Engine Bay of 550i at Idle

06-04-2021, 01:32 AM   #1
ColdUpHere
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Rattling/Knocking Sound from Engine Bay of 550i at Idle

Hey all! I took a break from BMWs for a while but I am now back in an N63 F10. The car is completely stock for now until I sort out a few things that have been bothering me, which brings me to this thread.

I have recently had this rattling/tapping sound, which sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay and is mainly audible from inside the cabin (I can hear it faintly when I put my ear near the passenger headlight/kidney grille, but it is hard to hear over the injectors )

Here is a video of the noise:

This noise only exists when the car is in idle, and usually, when it has warmed up. As soon as I blip the throttle, the noise goes away.

I had changed the spark plugs a week or two before the noise started and I initially thought the noise might be from the air filter housings rattling around, but I don't think thats the issue as this issue came about at least a week afterwards and there is no change to the sound if I go under the hood and hold the air boxes steady.

I am looking for any ideas whatsoever as to what could be causing this!! I am going deaf by having to crank up the radio high enough to drown out this sound while driving haha. I would appreciate any and all help in tracking this down.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I'm no mechanic, but that sure sounds like rod knock to me. I hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #3
Júlio Alberti
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 535I

I have the same problem, but mine is an N55.
You know what's the problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
That is a rod knock, usually caused by rod bearings going bad. Low oil pressure, no oil changes, and/or excess driving past safe RPM. Usually means the engine is done for because the at least one of the cylinder walls is now scorched and there is likely damage to the cylinder head. Worst case scenario - you'd also have a nice new opening in your block if the rod got thrown off of the shaft.

Sorry you're going through this. Went through it recently with a Mercedes and it wasn't pleasant.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
I agree, that sure sounds like a rod bro.... yikes
      10-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #6
gtp375
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

hey ColdUpHere I am experiencing the same with my 550i. Not as loud as that though.

It only happens after about 20 minutes of driving and at either very low speed or at the traffic lights. When I take off, it goes away completely. drives really well and has not had a hard life. 85,000km. It is really annoying and like you, i put the music up so I do not hear it.

Did you end up identifying the issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #7
F10ChrisM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i 6spd

It's most likely your vacuum pump, I've seen it in other videos. While idling, open up your oil cap on top of the motor. If you hear a tapping noise that connects to the one your hearing now, it's most def the vacuum pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #8
STobe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 550i

Did you ever figure out the issue? Mine is making the same noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdUpHere View Post
Hey all! I took a break from BMWs for a while but I am now back in an N63 F10. The car is completely stock for now until I sort out a few things that have been bothering me, which brings me to this thread.

I have recently had this rattling/tapping sound, which sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay and is mainly audible from inside the cabin (I can hear it faintly when I put my ear near the passenger headlight/kidney grille, but it is hard to hear over the injectors )

Here is a video of the noise:

This noise only exists when the car is in idle, and usually, when it has warmed up. As soon as I blip the throttle, the noise goes away.

I had changed the spark plugs a week or two before the noise started and I initially thought the noise might be from the air filter housings rattling around, but I don't think thats the issue as this issue came about at least a week afterwards and there is no change to the sound if I go under the hood and hold the air boxes steady.

I am looking for any ideas whatsoever as to what could be causing this!! I am going deaf by having to crank up the radio high enough to drown out this sound while driving haha. I would appreciate any and all help in tracking this down.
Appreciate 0