2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2021: Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina (Dec 12)

12-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #221
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes and no .
The plan was monday/tuesday on the Mercedes table in case "IF" it was necessary ..
This time in FP2 MAX was sandbagging while he was testing the long run .
From what Mercedes noticed today the situation is been put on Toto's table again ..

If it wasn't the 5 P penalty , Mercedes would swap ICE's in every race ..
And once again the FIA really s@cks regarding the regulations , as currently the FIA regulations are made for Mercedes .

If HAM's ICE has lost some ponies , MAX can't wait to take him down like a brick sinks in the water ...

If HAM wins , than his Mercedes Rocket PU has won the WDC !
That's speculation at best, you don't know the inner workings of mercedes and their strategical planning...

Next I already debunked the engine grid penalty system, it was not made to favor mercedes. It was introduced in 2018 long before mercedes had pu reliability issues, and in 2017 the engine manufactuerer with the most amount of failures was honda at double the amount of PU's used during the season vs. mercedes. So if anything the regulations were introduced to save honda... So no it was not made for mercedes despite what you may think based on your favortism for max and redbull, you literally do not even have any proof to back up your claim - I do.

Lol again already making excuses for what happens in the championship, don't forget the RB16B was way way faster than the W12 from the beginning until way past the half way point. So there really is no excuses for max.... The funny part is you have two conditions so you can always gaslight hamiltons performance and try to make max look better than he is...

BTW here is the jeddah speed traps:

No speed advantage for mercedes, even listen to peter windsor break it down. the speed deltas are minor to nothing. So literally there is no excuse with "Hamilton's Rocket Pu" of max loses. If Lewis wins he won it based on merit and skill, the same goes for max.

If Hamilton wins it was due to the combination of him having the composure and skill to keep it all together and win 4 races back to back, and because max bungled this season when he could have wrapped it up early on when the rb16b was the superior car. If he had the maturity to back out up in silverstone and monza instead of going way too agressive he would be champion right now. Instead it has gone down to the final race. The pressure on max will not help, as nico rosberg stated in his youtube video, when you're on top the pressure is astronomical in that final race, to the point where you can't even get pole anymore because of the minor mistakes. And we are starting to see max make uncharacteristic mistakes like his Jeddah qualifying.

If Max wins then he managed to regain enough composure to win the championship he arguable should have had on lock this entire year. Because the RB16B was superior to the w12 the entire season, untill way past the half way point.
irunalot1518.00
      12-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #222
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
tired ICE and fighting from P2 or close battle in P1/2 with Max.

Its not impossible. We shall see tomorrow.
Tired from 2 races, makes a mockery of the intent of the sporting regulations. Qualifying engines were banned for a reason. Before someone jumps in and says the rules allow it, the intent admitly offered by ToTo Was to help new and ailing PU manufacturers, not to be exploited by the dominated PU manufacturer.

If Merc took a new ICE for each race this year, would it kill the sport? Probably and certainly erodes the credibility of Hammy’s performance.

Hammy is actually building creditability performing with near equal equipment. Overrunning an ICE discounts his efforts.

It reminds me of ZR1 corvettes during track days, you’d pass them in a 993 on the technical sections only to be passed in the straight. Vette driver was always confused why no one is interested in his great passes, meanwhile the the guy running the spec Miata is getting congratulated by the entire paddock for shaving a tenth off.
      12-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #223
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
If it wasn't the 5 P penalty , Mercedes would swap ICE's in every race ..
And once again the FIA really s@cks regarding the regulations
The knight getting a brand new horse as often as he wants, while the peasant has to ride the same horse again and again (albeit a reliable one) ?

If an F1 team changes a PU way too often in order to be able to keep up or beat a competitor, then it's questionable how such F1 team could even be eligible for getting the constructor's title. Longevity reliability should be rewarded and FIA regulations should be conceived with this principle in mind. For example losing 25 constructor title points for each extra PU + start from the pitlane or from the back of the grid. In other words a setoff for 'gaining an advantage' (trending term at FIA lately).

The fact that Merc changed more Merc AMG PU than Red Bull Honda PU, suggests that Merc thinks that the Honda PU keeps its stamina better than the Merc AMG PU, and thus is of better build quality than the Merc testosterone powerhouse that runs out of breath quicker. As if it were an insecurity message to Mercedes AMG buyers: dear customer, with your new Mercedes you bought a strong car in the short term - however, for long term engine reliability you should have bought a car featuring a Honda engine...
      12-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #224
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Thoughts ?
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60001.50
      12-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #225
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thoughts ?
I guess I don't understand fashion lol.

But isn't it hot in Abu Dhabi right now? I would think a t-shirt and shorts are best.
      12-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #226
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I guess I don't understand fashion lol.

But isn't it hot in Abu Dhabi right now? I would think a t-shirt and shorts are best.
Mate . Are you color blind ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60001.50
      12-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #227
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No lol. Might be fashion blind though, because half the stuff fashion models wear don't appeal to me in the slightest. But that's just me.

Can't really comment on what Lewis is wearing because he's also heavily into the fashion industry so maybe I just don't get it lol. Same thing if you ask a fashion enthusiast about cars maybe they wont get it either. Can't judge them, it's what they like.
________4158.50
irunalot1518.00
      12-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #228
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Thoughts ?
Interestingly, orange dress means different things depending on the hemisphere and country.

Netherlands/Belgium = national color and Max army

India = purity and fire

UK = liberal social and political movements

US = prison uniforms
Attached Images

12-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #229
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
The pressure on max will not help, as nico rosberg stated in his youtube video, when you're on top the pressure is astronomical in that final race, to the point where you can't even get pole anymore because of the minor mistakes. And we are starting to see max make uncharacteristic mistakes like his Jeddah qualifying.
About HAM (surprisingly) losing the 2007 championship:

Also HAM can crack under pressure and make bold moves on competitors:

October 2021 - source: here
Several former F1 drivers agree: Hamilton makes a lot of mistakes
Title to be decided by fine margins
The 2021 Formula 1 title is expected to be decided by fine margins, with fans and former pilots struggling to label either Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen as a clear favourite to come out victorious.
What some of the former drivers agree on, though, is that Hamilton has made several mistakes so far this season during races.
"The rankings do not reflect the real situation," 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"Hamilton has made many mistakes and has paid a low price for them, unlike Verstappen. So far, Max and Red Bull's season has been perfect, while I detect fatigue in Lewis and his team.
"In Turkey, they made many errors. But I do not consider Mercedes dead. Perhaps they have increased the power of their engine."
Former driver David Coulthard believes that Hamilton has been racing under pressure this season and offered a couple of examples that justify his take.
"There have been one or two incidents for Lewis and most of the time he got away with it," added Coulthard.
"I mean his runway off the gravel in Imola, for example, or the rubbing of the guardrail in Russia.
"Neither of them was gigantic action, but, for me, you can see something in them: he is under pressure."
Mark Webber also mentioned that the seven-time F1 champion is making notable mistakes that he didn't use to make before.
"We are having a phenomenal duel between Lewis and Max, but Hamilton's mistakes are already showing," noted Webber.
"Like in Baku or the strange behaviour before the restart in Hungary, when 19 drivers came in to change tires, and Hamilton was the only driver with intermediate tires from the start.
"For me, some of these errors are quite atypical for Lewis."
M5Rick60001.50
      12-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #230
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:
No lol. Might be fashion blind though, because half the stuff fashion models wear don't appeal to me in the slightest. But that's just me.

Can't really comment on what Lewis is wearing because he's also heavily into the fashion industry so maybe I just don't get it lol. Same thing if you ask a fashion enthusiast about cars maybe they wont get it either. Can't judge them, it's what they like.
This x1000
Appreciate 2
F87source7245.50
irunalot1518.00
      12-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #231
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
About HAM (surprisingly) losing the 2007 championship:

Also HAM can crack under pressure and make bold moves on competitors:

October 2021 - source: here
Several former F1 drivers agree: Hamilton makes a lot of mistakes
Title to be decided by fine margins
The 2021 Formula 1 title is expected to be decided by fine margins, with fans and former pilots struggling to label either Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen as a clear favourite to come out victorious.
What some of the former drivers agree on, though, is that Hamilton has made several mistakes so far this season during races.
"The rankings do not reflect the real situation," 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"Hamilton has made many mistakes and has paid a low price for them, unlike Verstappen. So far, Max and Red Bull's season has been perfect, while I detect fatigue in Lewis and his team.
"In Turkey, they made many errors. But I do not consider Mercedes dead. Perhaps they have increased the power of their engine."
Former driver David Coulthard believes that Hamilton has been racing under pressure this season and offered a couple of examples that justify his take.
"There have been one or two incidents for Lewis and most of the time he got away with it," added Coulthard.
"I mean his runway off the gravel in Imola, for example, or the rubbing of the guardrail in Russia.
"Neither of them was gigantic action, but, for me, you can see something in them: he is under pressure."
Mark Webber also mentioned that the seven-time F1 champion is making notable mistakes that he didn't use to make before.
"We are having a phenomenal duel between Lewis and Max, but Hamilton's mistakes are already showing," noted Webber.
"Like in Baku or the strange behaviour before the restart in Hungary, when 19 drivers came in to change tires, and Hamilton was the only driver with intermediate tires from the start.
"For me, some of these errors are quite atypical for Lewis."
No doubt Lewis has made mistakes under pressure, I have never denied it. Infact I've called Lewis out on his brake magic mistakes...

This was to address the notion that is constantly brought up that max is a perfect driver immune to mistakes. And to address what Nico said about pressure on the lead driving being significantly more than the one who's behind.
irunalot1518.00
      12-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #232
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:

The fact that Merc changed more Merc AMG PU than Red Bull Honda PU, suggests that Merc thinks that the Honda PU keeps its stamina better than the Merc AMG PU, and thus is of better build quality than the Merc testosterone powerhouse that runs out of breath quicker. As if it were an insecurity message to Mercedes AMG buyers: dear customer, with your new Mercedes you bought a strong car in the short term - however, for long term engine reliability you should have bought a car featuring a Honda engine...
Not going to change anything because in the real world MB cars are problematic compared to Hondas, even though one can argue they are apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #233
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No doubt Lewis has made mistakes under pressure, I have never denied it. Infact I've called Lewis out on his brake magic mistakes...

This was to address the notion that is constantly brought up that max is a perfect driver immune to mistakes. And to address what Nico said about pressure on the lead driving being significantly more than the one who's behind.
IMO Hamilton has made more mistakes than Max this year, and has been extremely lucky not losing as much points. This I think is the basis of ALO saying Max is driving better overall this year, which to some will always think that it's all because of ALO's hate for Ham, which makes me wonder who really has not moved on.
Appreciate 1
Wakka523.00
      12-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #234
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
IMO Hamilton has made more mistakes than Max this year, and has been extremely lucky not losing as much points. This I think is the basis of ALO saying Max is driving better overall this year, which to some will always think that it's all because of ALO's hate for Ham, which makes me wonder who really has not moved on.
Well part of it is Alonso being salty that he was whooped by a rookie. But he's not wrong Max has barely made any mistakes all season, literally near perfect.

But the mistakes max made were pretty detrimental, and if he just backed out in both Silverstone and Monza it would be all over now. Max also did get unlucky with the punctures, but that's all part of the game. Sometimes you get unlucky.
irunalot1518.00
      12-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #235
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Kid has ice running through those veins

Kid Max and his first toy.
Attached Images

12-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #236
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well part of it is Alonso being salty that he was whooped by a rookie. But he's not wrong Max has barely made any mistakes all season, literally near perfect.

But the mistakes max made were pretty detrimental, and if he just backed out in both Silverstone and Monza it would be all over now. Max also did get unlucky with the punctures, but that's all part of the game. Sometimes you get unlucky.
Number one, finishing in equal points does not equal a whooping. Impressive for a rookie because the expectation was ALO would dominate Ham BUT, Ham's titles validates that ALO was most definitely up there in talent, which most experts concur with.

The few ALO bashers would like to state that it was a domination and that he can't get over 2007. That's some serious speculation there. What I really find funny at times are followers of F1 often get more emotional about perceived situations than the drivers themselves, which the media really wants to push, exploit, or blow up precisely to generate readership and hype.

Last edited by Autobacs; 12-10-2021 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:31 PM   #237
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you mean.

Cuts both ways:

First, HAM has already been reprimanded twice this season for on-track antics (unsafe entry onto the track during FP1 in Mexico + forcing Mazepin off track during FP3 in Saudi Arabia). If HAM triggers a third reprimand tomorrow during FP3 or Q1/Q2/Q3, he automatically gets a 10-place grid penalty as per FIA regulations. So the Mercedes team (pitwall) and HAM will need to be very focused. For sure the Red Bull team will take a very close look at HAM's on-track behavior. Compromising a laptime of a competitor and all other sorts of questionnable tricks: don't look for trouble.

Secondly, VER is in the lead, so HAM must finish, not before anyone, but before VER in the top 10, who is capable of winning the race and is known for not backing down and yielding. So that puts the bar high. Furthermore, HAM has to walk on eggs whenever VER is nearby: a racing incident happens quickly - enough controversial incidents this season to know this. It would be a poor gamble for Mercedes and HAM to speculate on stewards disqualifying VER if the two touch yet again. If VER can race flatout with perfect pitstops, good race strategy, no incidents and manages to get the lead: HAM has no other choice than to win. The slightest mistake by HAM, Mercedes team strategy or the Mercedes pit crew can cost them dearly.

Thirdly, the pit crew keeping their cool: a "slow" pitstop can cost the championship; the pressure on them will be massive: failure is no option. So Mercedes better uses brandnew wheelnuts to avoid a Bottas in Monaco failure (see here).

And last but not least: it's easy for all of us as 'armchair F1 pilots' to blame drivers for their mishaps; we do not have the faintest idea how bloody complex and demanding it is physically, intellectually and mentally to drive the machinery and consumables on the limit while being filmed from all angles and millions of people looking worldwide. For example most say that VER screwed up in the Saudi Arabia qualification in hitting the wall in the final corner, that it showed immaturity or recklessness. I disagree: for me that lap was the qualification lap of the year: I was no longer sitting but standing in front of my TV, shaking my head in awe when I saw purple for sector 1 and purple for sector 2: VER was dancing on the blade of a knife, aware of the risk that he could cut himself. A remarkable determination and guts rarely seen in recent F1: going all-in. Yes, tires couldn't hold grip anymore and he hit the wall. But if he had pulled it off and gotten away with it, he would have been applauded by everyone. Also HAM and BOT admitted that also their fastest laps were hairy, though with a lucky outcome, and that VER was flying. That's the way it goes at the top of F1: if you settle for just "very good" risk averse, you will never be F1 world champion. If VER would not have the ruthless gladiator mentality, you would have never heard about him.

Conclusion: HAM will encounter as much pressure as VER + I trust that VER will go all-in during the race this Sunday, taking substantial risks.
Robin_NL8717.00
Bubbles2753.00
      12-11-2021, 12:25 AM   #238
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I understand what you mean.

Cuts both ways:

First, HAM has already been reprimanded twice this season for on-track antics (unsafe entry onto the track during FP1 in Mexico + forcing Mazepin off track during FP3 in Saudi Arabia). If HAM triggers a third reprimand tomorrow during FP3 or Q1/Q2/Q3, he automatically gets a 10-place grid penalty as per FIA regulations. So the Mercedes team (pitwall) and HAM will need to be very focused. For sure the Red Bull team will take a very close look at HAM's on-track behavior. Compromising a laptime of a competitor and all other sorts of questionnable tricks: don't look for trouble.

Secondly, VER is in the lead, so HAM must finish, not before anyone, but before VER in the top 10, who is capable of winning the race and is known for not backing down and yielding. So that puts the bar high. Furthermore, HAM has to walk on eggs whenever VER is nearby: a racing incident happens quickly - enough controversial incidents this season to know this. It would be a poor gamble for Mercedes and HAM to speculate on stewards disqualifying VER if the two touch yet again. If VER can race flatout with perfect pitstops, good race strategy, no incidents and manages to get the lead: HAM has no other choice than to win. The slightest mistake by HAM, Mercedes team strategy or the Mercedes pit crew can cost them dearly.

Thirdly, the pit crew keeping their cool: a "slow" pitstop can cost the championship; the pressure on them will be massive: failure is no option. So Mercedes better uses brandnew wheelnuts to avoid a Bottas in Monaco failure (see here).

And last but not least: it's easy for all of us as 'armchair F1 pilots' to blame drivers for their mishaps; we do not have the faintest idea how bloody complex and demanding it is physically, intellectually and mentally to drive the machinery and consumables on the limit while being filmed from all angles and millions of people looking worldwide. For example most say that VER screwed up in the Saudi Arabia qualification in hitting the wall in the final corner, that it showed immaturity or recklessness. I disagree: for me that lap was the qualification lap of the year: I was no longer sitting but standing in front of my TV, shaking my head in awe when I saw purple for sector 1 and purple for sector 2: VER was dancing on the blade of a knife, aware of the risk that he could cut himself. A remarkable determination and guts rarely seen in recent F1: going all-in. Yes, tires couldn't hold grip anymore and he hit the wall. But if he had pulled it off and gotten away with it, he would have been applauded by everyone. Also HAM and BOT admitted that also their fastest laps were hairy, though with a lucky outcome, and that VER was flying. That's the way it goes at the top of F1: if you settle for just "very good" risk averse, you will never be F1 world champion. If VER would not have the ruthless gladiator mentality, you would have never heard about him.

Conclusion: HAM will encounter as much pressure as VER + I trust that VER will go all-in during the race this Sunday, taking substantial risks.
This sums it up nicely. Let's talk racing now, can't wait for Sunday.
Won't watch quali at 5, but will wake up at 5 for the race.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:43 AM   #239
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
What??? I'll do both!!!
      12-11-2021, 01:08 AM   #240
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
What??? I'll do both!!!
You know my newborn son might just have us up tomorrow too, you never know!
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      12-11-2021, 03:20 AM   #241
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
Number one, finishing in equal points does not equal a whooping. Impressive for a rookie because the expectation was ALO would dominate Ham BUT, Ham's titles validates that ALO was most definitely up there in talent, which most experts concur with.
The off at China (bald wet weather tyres on a wet pit entry) and the gearbox glitch at Brazil separated Hamilton from taking the championship in his rookie year (and a big points difference over Alonso)
Most everyone knows Alonso was bested that season (including Alonso).
Even as a two time world champion having beaten Schumacher (in an arguably inferior car), Alonso's stock never fully recovered from that year.
Trying to make out otherwise is a tough challenge.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:22 AM   #242
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Thoughts ?
No Marina for him trying to wind up Max
Appreciate 1