2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N55 K&N AirCharger Air Intake

05-08-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
ededic00
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive M Sport

N55 K&N AirCharger Air Intake

Just wondering if anyone is using this intake system, and what your thoughts of it are. I was able to order one through AutoAnything and with my coupon the price came down to $178 shipped. Here are some links to the write ups from K&N.

Get More TwinPower From Your 2011-2016 BMW 535i with a K&N AirCharger Air Intake

K&N 63-1132 Air Intake

K&N 63-1132 Air Intake Install

Dyno
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededic00 View Post
Just wondering if anyone is using this intake system, and what your thoughts of it are. I was able to order one through AutoAnything and with my coupon the price came down to $178 shipped. Here are some links to the write ups from K&N.

Get More TwinPower From Your 2011-2016 BMW 535i with a K&N AirCharger Air Intake

K&N 63-1132 Air Intake

Dyno
I was thinking of getting this just for better sound. Is that coupon code still valid lol.cheapest I found was $200 shipped
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
ededic00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
I was thinking of getting this just for better sound. Is that coupon code still valid lol.cheapest I found was $200 shipped
I added the item into my cart and then selected the chat option to chat with a customer service representative. I told them that in the past the coupons on the home page would work for K&N products and now its telling me that its invalid. They created an invoice with the 12% discount on there and sent it to me via the chat session. I asked for the advertised discount of 22% using code "CELEBRATE" and was told all they can do is the 12% which is what got it down to $178 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Ahhhhh... The "pleasure" of living in the People's Republik...

Quote:
California Restricted Not legal for sale or use in California
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Hmmmm... This looks better than the $200 BMS intake
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Hmmmm... This looks better than the $200 BMS intake
I agree. The afe looks the best the price is insane. This is the next best looking. I will end up getting it eventually
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
ededic00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
I agree. The afe looks the best the price is insane. This is the next best looking. I will end up getting it eventually
Mine is due to be delivered this Thursday. Ill let you guys know what I think of it. I did have the BMS intake and took it off because I didn't like how unfinished the engine bay looked with it installed. I am also in the process of finding a X4 M40i engine cover that has the "M Performance" logo on it. I think it will fit right in with my M Sport F10.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

post some pictures when you get it on. is the filter just open with just the sides for a box that go around it or is there a cover that goes on top?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:

K&N 63-1132 Air Intake

Dyno
Ooo nice find. That dyno though. Who ever 535 is only making 240hp stock should take it to a mechanic. Stock can put 280whp. I've even seen some only put down 265whp. 240! Yo something is wrong. Still great find on the filter
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

dont waste your money.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
dont waste your money.
If there was an open vent just above the filter it would super functional. Like the e90 M3, it has a functioning open vent on the hood to the intake.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #12
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
If there was an open vent just above the filter it would super functional. Like the e90 M3, it has a functioning open vent on the hood to the intake.
your hood consists of a high pressure area (closer to the cowl where the intake vents are for the e9x m3) and then a low pressure area to the front of the hood, or right behind the radiator.high pressure areas are for the intake of air. low pressure areas are for exhausting hot air within the engine bay. so if you have a vent in a high pressure area that feeds directly to the intake this would be effective for your intake... but we dont have such a vent. IMO the best performing intake is a closed air system, just like BMW's factory airbox. it provides the best balance throughout the whole powerband (your typical air intake reduces low end torque at the expense of a slightly better high end) not reasonable for a daily driver.

anyways, another issue with an open intake within the engine bay with no vent is heat-soak which is a rather serious issue when sitting in traffic on a hot day. again... BMW's factory airbox takes this into consideration and is far more effective then your typical intake at keeping intake air cool. so unless you have a hood intake or some sort of tube feeding air from the front of the bumper, you're far better off spending those $300 on literally anything else and leaving your factory airbox alone.an intercooler upgrade would easily improve performance more then your average air intake by lowering IAT (intake air temperature.) alternatively, the money you planned to waste on the intake would be far better spent on upgrading your muffler or put toward a downpipe instead.

like I was saying about low pressure areas.. A hood that has a vent directly behind the radiator would be very effective at maintaining coolant temps temps and in turn improving performance. the increased airflow would allow the radiator to work more efficiently, reduce a large amount of the heat within the engine bay which would in turn improve intake performance as well. I believe that focusing on improving oil/coolant/underhood temps would yield better performance gains then a simple air intake. when coolant is at around 190F mark, this allows the cylinder head to operate at peak performance. to keep temperatures closer to this, there are some things you can do. for one, I recommend you remove the plastic engine cover and insulation in warmer weather. this helped keep oil temps down by almost 50F for me. as you may already know, modern BMW's with their electric waterpumps run ridiculously hot for emissions and fuel economy purposes - not good for the longevity of your motor, overall performance and very likely why us BMW owners are constantly replacing gaskets all over the motor. I also recommend using 5w40 oil like motul or liqui moly which keeps temps down. this oil is harder to break down meaning more protection over the long run. lastly, if you get your vehicle coded I strongly recommend you code the waterpump to work harder because the temps we see are a little ridiculous. generally you want oil temps roughly at 100c, or no more then 110c. 120c (halfway mark) turns into track temps on a hot summer day which you obviously dont want.

I know all of this is somewhat off topic and doesnt really pertain to OP's original question, but some people may want to use air intakes to help IAT temps (which it does, but only when you are moving. in traffic it becomes extremely heatsoaked and useless)

these suggestions are cheap, simple, and effective ways to improve performance compared to an air intake. if not, I would suggest putting that money toward a downpipe/muffler upgrade for some real sound and actual performance gains. an intercooler is also a good idea (going back to the topic of maintaining engine temps)
Appreciate 4
      05-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
don't forget the e92 m3's primary source of engine air is from one of the scoops on the bumper in front of the tires. the air goes from there directly into the engine. you could use a tube from the front of your bumper to feed air into the your factory airbox and this would easily be more effective then a $300 intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
ededic00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
don't forget the e92 m3's primary source of engine air is from one of the scoops on the bumper in front of the tires. the air goes from there directly into the engine. you could use a tube from the front of your bumper to feed air into the your factory airbox and this would easily be more effective then a $300 intake.
How is this that much different from a stock intake box? The filter housing is sealed against the inside of the hood and the front of the box still retains its factory ducting. I had a BMS intake and to me that was junk. I was planning on just upgrading the OEM filter to a K&N one that I can clean on my own but once I saw this system I thought this was much better with a sealed box compared to the open box style the BMS intake. I guess we will see how it turns out. I believe I got what I was looking for, be able to clean the filter and that the unit is sealed from the rest of the engine bay and it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How is this that much different from a stock intake box? The filter housing is sealed against the inside of the hood and the front of the box still retains its factory ducting. I had a BMS intake and to me that was junk. I was planning on just upgrading the OEM filter to a K&N one that I can clean on my own but once I saw this system I thought this was much better with a sealed box compared to the open box style the BMS intake. I guess we will see how it turns out. I believe I got what I was looking for, be able to clean the filter and that the unit is sealed from the rest of the engine bay and it is.
if it is a sealed box, it is a good intake system. BMS types intakes are garbage.

avoid those K&N filters. marginal increase in performance at the expense of much less engine filtration. not worth it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
ededic00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
if it is a sealed box, it is a good intake system. BMS types intakes are garbage.

avoid those K&N filters. marginal increase in performance at the expense of much less engine filtration. not worth it
The top of the box gets sealed when the hood is closed.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
ededic00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
post some pictures when you get it on. is the filter just open with just the sides for a box that go around it or is there a cover that goes on top?
Should be delivered today and ill post pictures once installed. If you look at the post above this one it shows how it looks installed. The top of the box is sealed when the hood is closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #18
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The top of the box gets sealed when the hood is closed.

if there is a little vent in the hood directly above the intake filter, that is an extremely effective setup. otherwise you'd still be best off sticking to OEM.

unless you do report some performance gains over stock of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Should be delivered today and ill post pictures once installed. If you look at the post above this one it shows how it looks installed. The top of the box is sealed when the hood is closed.
Then why not just use the drop-in filter?

Especially as the intake isn't available in The People's Republik.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Honestly if there's no gains but at least you can hear the turbo spooling I'd be happy cause right now the car's so damn quiet!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Honestly if there's no gains but at least you can hear the turbo spooling I'd be happy cause right now the car's so damn quiet!
You wanna hear it spool get any open air filter and remove the rear weather stripping

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #22
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Downpipe = delicious spooling sounds
Appreciate 0