2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Sprint Booster Question

06-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Sprint Booster Question

I've heard both sides about how all it does it just increases the amount of throttle with less pedal, while others say it wildly changes the car's responsiveness, but I just have one simple question.

There's been a few times where I'm stopped or rolling at low speed (<10mph) and need to make a quick pass so I mash the gas, but there is a very noticeable delay before it actually gets going. Will the SB actually get rid of this delay?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
Taynice87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i Gran Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
I've heard both sides about how all it does it just increases the amount of throttle with less pedal, while others say it wildly changes the car's responsiveness, but I just have one simple question.

There's been a few times where I'm stopped or rolling at low speed (<10mph) and need to make a quick pass so I mash the gas, but there is a very noticeable delay before it actually gets going. Will the SB actually get rid of this delay?

Thanks guys.
Quote:

Thanks guys.

yes it will get rid of that delay
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynice87 View Post
Thanks boss. Any other features you liked about your Sprint Booster?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynice87 View Post
You won't be disappointed AT ALL. I guarantee it 100%. All tunes/JB's/MHD. Blah blah are really cool but sprint booster will give you what your looking for. ZERO throttle delay and we need it for these turbo cars. JUST DO IT & PREPARE TO SMILE.
      06-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
The old Sprint Booster...
Most people that have them, love them.
Most nay-sayers don’t have one.

You’ll often hear people say you can get the same effect by simply pressing the throttle down quicker/further on your own. This is not true.

Most input controls in your car have a range of motion that exact a response from some vehicle system. (Throttle, brake, steering, volume knob, clutch, etc.)
These controls all of one thing in common. Part of what your brain perceives as responsiveness, is simply how that input is carried out (output) by the vehicle.

Imagine the volume knob on your stereo. Suppose the volume could go from mute to max with only a half turn of the volume knob. That is, very little input creates a big change in volume. Now imagine the volume knob required 10 full turns to go from mute to max volume. This would be a very cumbersome, slow, unresponsive way of adjusting the volume, because large inputs (turns of the knob) result in relatively little output (volume increase).
There are advantages to both a responsive and a less responsive system...
A responsive system does respond faster and will allow the system to do more work(output) with less input from the user.
A less responsive system takes more input, but allows you to make finer adjustments. A light switch is super responsive, but you only have on or off settings because of that (you can’t choose dim).

Think about steering wheels/racks. Most enthusiasts like a quick (responsive) rack. Sports cars are expected to turn briskly and sharply without having to turn the steering wheel an exaggerated amount. If a sprint booster could be applied to a steering wheel, you would be able to turn the car sharper with less input from the steering wheel. ( a la Infiniti Q50 DAS or BMW Active Steering)
Most BMW M cars have quicker steering ratios than their more plebeian counterparts. It is accepted in the automotive community that a more responsive steering ratio imparts a sporty feel. And it does.

Still, there are those who feel the throttle can’t benefit from a quicker ratio. Just like the steering, volume, clutch, etc... the response of the gas pedal can be quickened or lessened. Some people like stock. Some want less response. Some want more. The sprint booster lets you pick what you like.

By adjusting the “gain” or response of the throttle pedal, it provides an effect that cannot be attained by simply pressing the throttle further/faster.
That being said 100% throttle is as much as you can have with or without the sprint booster. Top speed won’t increase, ultimate acceleration won’t increase. But you will have more acceleration for a given throttle input (at part throttle).

BMW engineers a certain amount of lag into the throttle response. In addition, there is a maximum speed that the throttle valve can open and close.I do not know if those things change or not.

I do know that the engine becomes much more crisp and eager to respond to throttle inputs (at part throttle) with the sprint booster.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
You won't be disappointed AT ALL. I guarantee it 100%. All tunes/JB's/MHD. Blah blah are really cool but sprint booster will give you what your looking for. ZERO throttle delay and we need it for these turbo cars. JUST DO IT & PREPARE TO SMILE.
Thanks for the response. I drove an F80 M3 recently and what I liked is every time you massed the gas it would just kick you in the back and go. While my car has enough power to keep up with an M3, I feel like when I mash the gas it's a more gradual push than aggressive shove. Hopefully the SB changes that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post

You’ll often hear people say you can get the same effect by simply pressing the throttle down quicker/further on your own. This is not true.
BMW engineers a certain amount of lag into the throttle response. In addition, there is a maximum speed that the throttle valve can open and close.I do not know if those things change or not.

I do know that the engine becomes much more crisp and eager to respond to throttle inputs (at part throttle) with the sprint booster.
Thanks for the input my man. I agree with you. My only concern is with your last point, the "part throttle." I'll be racing my car on the drag strip soon and my only concern is if the throttle will get too aggressive when using things such as launch control and/or brake torquing.

Thank you guys again for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I drove an F80 M3 recently and what I liked is every time you massed the gas it would just kick you in the back and go. While my car has enough power to keep up with an M3, I feel like when I mash the gas it's a more gradual push than aggressive shove. Hopefully the SB changes that?

Thanks for the input my man. I agree with you. My only concern is with your last point, the "part throttle." I'll be racing my car on the drag strip soon and my only concern is if the throttle will get too aggressive when using things such as launch control and/or brake torquing.

You’ll still be able to modulate the throttle for launches and brake torquing with no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post

I have a 535 xDrive with a JB & SB. It's always in Red(raceMode) and I had to learn how to lighten push the pedal because alil to hard and it will downshift for complete madness. Lol so to be real I drive In SportMode/RedRace & TipTronic ALLDAY unless in traffic. Green mode is less aggressive with hard pedal downshifts. I do 85miles a day no issue.
      07-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Have the SBV3. With custom tune, fbo, e85 mines stays in green 7. Think in red is just a little too much. One of the first mods ive done.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0