2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Couple of Questions

07-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #1
IrishDriver
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520D M Sport 190

Couple of Questions

Hi all. Took delivery of my first ever BMW yesterday, 2016 520D M Sport. Complete newbie here so forgive my ignorance. I have a Bluetooth and a ConnectedDrive related question. I have looked through the site but suggestions I've seen don't work.

1. Have connected my iPhone 8 without any problems - can see contacts, stream music with artwork, etc. However, my text messages don't show up. The screen just says 'No Messages'. I have looked on the phone under the BMW connection on the Bluetooth screen and everything is checked and the Sync switch is enabled. Any ideas on how to get my messages?

2. Regarding ConnectedDrive, the car is an import from the UK and I have 'inherited' someone else's subscription. When I tried to set up the car on the ConnectedDrive app on my phone I got a message saying that, as the car was now in a new region (I'm in Ireland) then all currently booked services would be deactivated. I'm thinking I might just continue without connecting car and app until the current sub expires. The thing with that is I don't know when it expires. So, I guess my question is double-barrelled - (a) Is there a way to connect car and app and keep current subscription, and (b) Is there a way to see when the current subscription expires?

Apologies for the long winded post and thanks for any assistance offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Are you getting messages to your phone when connected to your car? I know for my car until I receive messages to my phone while connected they won't appear.
      07-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDriver View Post
Hi all. Took delivery of my first ever BMW yesterday, 2016 520D M Sport. Complete newbie here so forgive my ignorance. I have a Bluetooth and a ConnectedDrive related question. I have looked through the site but suggestions I've seen don't work.

1. Have connected my iPhone 8 without any problems - can see contacts, stream music with artwork, etc. However, my text messages don't show up. The screen just says 'No Messages'. I have looked on the phone under the BMW connection on the Bluetooth screen and everything is checked and the Sync switch is enabled. Any ideas on how to get my messages?

2. Regarding ConnectedDrive, the car is an import from the UK and I have 'inherited' someone else's subscription. When I tried to set up the car on the ConnectedDrive app on my phone I got a message saying that, as the car was now in a new region (I'm in Ireland) then all currently booked services would be deactivated. I'm thinking I might just continue without connecting car and app until the current sub expires. The thing with that is I don't know when it expires. So, I guess my question is double-barrelled - (a) Is there a way to connect car and app and keep current subscription, and (b) Is there a way to see when the current subscription expires?

Apologies for the long winded post and thanks for any assistance offered.
Let's see some interior pictures !
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_inlife View Post
Are you getting messages to your phone when connected to your car? I know for my car until I receive messages to my phone while connected they won't appear.
This. The car will only recognize texts received when tethered to the car; by cable or adapter or Bluetooth.

You also have to have "show notifications" selected under Bluetooth...

Bluetooth, select the circled i next to the car's ID and there you'll find the notifications. The last 2 iPhone updates have turned off the notifications on my phone and I had to re-select it.

edit
As for the ConnecterDrive just look in ConnectedDrive > Store > Available services. That should tell ypu what you have and when it expires. This is from memory so I may be way off base!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
IrishDriver
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
This. The car will only recognize texts received when tethered to the car; by cable or adapter or Bluetooth.

You also have to have "show notifications" selected under Bluetooth...

Bluetooth, select the circled i next to the car's ID and there you'll find the notifications. The last 2 iPhone updates have turned off the notifications on my phone and I had to re-select it.

edit
As for the ConnecterDrive just look in ConnectedDrive > Store > Available services. That should tell ypu what you have and when it expires. This is from memory so I may be way off base!
Good point. I haven't received any text messages whilst in the vehicle. I think I expected it to show all messages on the phone so this makes sense.

Regarding switching on notifications under the Bluetooth menu, that option is not showing up for me on the phone. I had previously checked for that
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDriver View Post
Good point. I haven't received any text messages whilst in the vehicle. I think I expected it to show all messages on the phone so this makes sense.

Regarding switching on notifications under the Bluetooth menu, that option is not showing up for me on the phone. I had previously checked for that
Did you select the blue Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.png
Views: 247
Size:  1.3 KB next to BMW xxxxx?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:50 AM   #7
IrishDriver
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Did you select the blue Attachment 2107281 next to BMW xxxxx?
I did. The only options are 'Forget this device', 'Sync Contacts' slider switch and then the contacts groups you want to sync. Nothing about allowing notifications.

Last edited by IrishDriver; 07-30-2019 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0