2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Low RPM whine

08-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Low RPM whine

I have tried searching for the past few days with no luck. Hopefully someone else went through the same thing or remembers a link with a similar issue that can help me figure this one out.

The car:
2013 535i M-sport 74K miles

The issue:
When the car is fully warmed up, while accelerating and decelerating, I get a weird whine with vibration on the accelerator only between ~ 1500 - 1800 RPM. Anything lower or higher does not seem to make any noises and I the noise seems to be coming from the middle lower part of the car. Almost like where the transmission meets the engine. This happens while driving, in any gear, any speed, while parked, if I put in neutral and free rev, basically anytime. I can hear it from inside the car much more than if I stand next to the car and have someone rev it. If I let the car fully warm up and not drive it, I cannot recreate the issue. It seems as if the problem is only apparent after driving the car for 5 minutes or so after fully warmed up. I had someone rev it while I tried to listen to the engine, and it doesn't seem to be coming from any belts or pulleys.

Not sure if previous owner has done transmission service, I will do that soon.
I have no mods or transmission flashes, not sure about the previous owner though. The transmission shift super smooth. Too smooth for my taste to be honest, but I came from an M-sport 340i, that transmission was super fast and jerky. I used the xHP app to read transmission codes and the only on there was a low voltage to the ECU from a bad battery. Basically while stopped at a light, the auto start would fail to turn on the car all the way and I would get this code afterwards. I have not seen it after changing battery and clearing code.

Something tells me it has to do with the transmission, but hopefully it is the alternator or something simpler.

If I failed to answer any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
B1M3
Neon Garden
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

I think you have to change your valve cover, this noise is very familiar to me, i spend 2 years to find out what is wrong with my car. lol It was very annoying sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1M3 View Post
I think you have to change your valve cover, this noise is very familiar to me, i spend 2 years to find out what is wrong with my car. lol It was very annoying sound.

Thank you for the response.

I do have a DME code for the "160502 - Crankcase ventilation heating, activation: Short circuit to ground ". Do you by any chance remember getting the same code? I already changed the crank case vent hose, but it did not clear the code. Did you go through something similar?

Lastly, what was the purpose of changing the valve cover? Leaking? or the CCV? Or just as a last resort to try and get rid of the noise?

TAI!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep

Fix update. If anyone bumps into this thread because of similar symptoms, my ~1500 rpm whine disappeared when I recently replaced my oil filter housing gaskets and the accessories belt tensioner with pullies and belt. The FCP euro kit came with two pullies, I replaced both of them, just in case it helps anyone. I must admit, while watching videos, I expected the belt to be tighter, and mine came of fairly easy. But not sure if OFHG or tensioner did it, something worth looking into though.
Appreciate 1