2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 4U1 - Ceramic Controls Retrofit

07-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

4U1 - Ceramic Controls Retrofit

Another one of those mods I've wanted to do since I first sat in a car with ceramic controls. They just look and feel so much nicer than the pearl chrome stuff BMW has adopted lately (in in the new cars bathed in)

I was making a salvage yard run the other day and came across a 2011 750Li with ceramic controls. It had the earlier (wrong) iDrive controller so thats of no use to me, but I snagged the shifter and the Radio/AC control panel.

Neither the shifter itself or the control panel would work in my F10 though. Different connectors, shape, size yada yada... I was willing to bet my money at the door though that the knobs and shifter trim would swap over once disassembled.

First off, tear down on my own car (takes about 2minutes to do this)

Note the shifter trim was already swapped over at this point.

Back to that bet... I was sort of right.

The shifter trim swapped over directly, no problem.

The radio knob swapped over directly. No problem there.

The dual temperature knobs on the other hand uses different types of rotary encoders, and as a result were not compatible nor could they be directly swapped over. The F10 uses a castellated encoder, where as the F01/F02 uses an internally notched magnetic wheel. Now the knob part itself though... was the same size and shape.

I carefully pried the encoder pickups off the knobs and swapped them over as needed. I glued them with a few dabs of quick set epoxy. Once snapped back into the housing its all trapped anyway.

Finished product:

Now I just need a ceramic NBT/Touch iDrive controller to complete the set.
Appreciate 2
gabypr150.00
      07-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Great work man! I did a double take in your car after drooling over your 6WB to see if you had ceramic controls too!? Even the 2014+ update to controls looks better than the pre-LCI that I have, ceramic controls are icing on the cake!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Looks good - can I ask how easy or difficult was it to remove and attach the ceramic on the gear stick?

Last edited by gtthree; 07-18-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

The gearstick was the easy part, 3-5 minute job.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Thats good to hear.

I'm in the same boat as you, having to swap over trim on my CIC controller and possibly on the radio/heating control panel - although I do have an F10 radio/heating control panel. So it may work depending on software level.

Would you be able to describe how you removed the trim from the gear stick? To give me a head start.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Thats good to hear.

I'm in the same boat as you, having to swap over trim on my CIC controller and possibly on the radio/heating control panel - although I do have an F10 radio/heating control panel. So it may work depending on software level.

Would you be able to describe how you removed the trim from the gear stick? To give me a head start.

Thanks
For the sport shifter remove the black portion with the "R-N-D". It's "glued" on but pops right off. IIRC, there is a small screw (IIRC it's a small torx) on the crossbar (below the "P" button) that must be removed. Then the casing just pops off.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #7
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Many thanks ezaircon4jc

Appreciate the guidance.

I'll post a thread on the CIC controller tear down and refit when I have my T6 torx parts and find the time, as it will be of use to others.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Another one of those mods I've wanted to do since I first sat in a car with ceramic controls. They just look and feel so much nicer than the pearl chrome stuff BMW has adopted lately (in in the new cars bathed in)

I was making a salvage yard run the other day and came across a 2011 750Li with ceramic controls. It had the earlier (wrong) iDrive controller so thats of no use to me, but I snagged the shifter and the Radio/AC control panel.

Neither the shifter itself or the control panel would work in my F10 though. Different connectors, shape, size yada yada... I was willing to bet my money at the door though that the knobs and shifter trim would swap over once disassembled.

The dual temperature knobs on the other hand uses different types of rotary encoders, and as a result were not compatible nor could they be directly swapped over. The F10 uses a castellated encoder, where as the F01/F02 uses an internally notched magnetic wheel. Now the knob part itself though... was the same size and shape.

I carefully pried the encoder pickups off the knobs and swapped them over as needed. I glued them with a few dabs of quick set epoxy. Once snapped back into the housing its all trapped anyway.

Finished product:

You have part numbers ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #9
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Finished product:

Almost impossible for me to take this part off, I've taken off all the screws and still doesn't want to come out what did you do ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
Quote:

Finished product:

Almost impossible for me to take this part off, I've taken off all the screws and still doesn't want to come out what did you do ?
Ended up doing this and nothing needs to be " epoxied " I know your reading my post lol
Appreciate 0