2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications fuel guage doesn't always restore after refill

05-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
x.zhang
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: 2011/535i

fuel guage doesn't always restore after refill

hey everyone, my 2011 535i, 60k miles, recently developed a weird issue. the pointer in the fuel guage some times doesn't reflect the refill. for example if it's half a quater left (say 50 miles range left), then i went for a full refil and keep driving, the pointer would stay at the half quarter scale and slowly move toward the empty side along with the range that would drop from 50 to 49, 48.... just as i never filled the tank up. some times after i completely shut off the car and restart, it went back to normal. some times it would only become normal over night.
i wonder if anyone has experience this kind of issue? Any input is appreciated! Have a nice weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.zhang View Post
hey everyone, my 2011 535i, 60k miles, recently developed a weird issue. the pointer in the fuel guage some times doesn't reflect the refill. for example if it's half a quater left (say 50 miles range left), then i went for a full refil and keep driving, the pointer would stay at the half quarter scale and slowly move toward the empty side along with the range that would drop from 50 to 49, 48.... just as i never filled the tank up. some times after i completely shut off the car and restart, it went back to normal. some times it would only become normal over night.
i wonder if anyone has experience this kind of issue? Any input is appreciated! Have a nice weekend.
Are you shutting off the ignition while you are adding fuel?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
x.zhang
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: 2011/535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Are you shutting off the ignition while you are adding fuel?
the engine was shut off for sure. But normally the infotainment system stays on unless the car is locked.
i remember that i used to see, could be on other cars, the guage pointer moves to slowly toward right (full) while refilling, which means a complete power off during refill isn't really neccesary?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
wcr3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

If you searched here and haven't found anything try www.bimmerfest.com , I have read some threads there that are similar or the needle never moves kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.zhang View Post
the engine was shut off for sure. But normally the infotainment system stays on unless the car is locked.
i remember that i used to see, could be on other cars, the guage pointer moves to slowly toward right (full) while refilling, which means a complete power off during refill isn't really neccesary?
Alright. During my time with older BMWs (E39, E46) I recall people describing exactly what you describe if they leave the ignition on while refueling so it would be the simplest explanation.

Your ignition should be in a state that your fuel gauge does NOT read while you are refueling. If that's not what you're doing, start doing it that way and see if your problem goes away. All of the range tracking/forecasting and other system do not expect fuel to be added while the system is on and don't reset or act properly.
Appreciate 0