2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK EGR Cooler Issue

12-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #1
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
EGR Cooler Issue

I've recently noticed an exhaust gas type smell in the interior of the car. I initially put this down to intake of exhaust fumes from cars in standing traffic but this was happening frequently when driving alone. Lately I also noticed a burning rubber smell when leaving the car after a medium run. A bit of research indicated this is a common problem and likely linked to a failure of the EGR Cooler unit - a cracked pipe resulting in the need to replace the whole unit - at a cost of about £500 for the part alone.

I've checked my coolant levels and only a minor top up was required. Starting the engine from cold resulted in the familiar exhaust type smell from under the bonnet although I can't see any signs of soot etc.

I then discovered this recall announcement:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...gn?language=en

I also checked my car's registration on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and discovered that a recall was due although I hadn't been notified. I'm assuming that this relates to the EGR issue.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I can't see anything on the F10 forum. How has this been handled by the dealer?

PS - I've just noticed a lengthy post on this issue on the 3 forum so I assume that the content there applies to the F10.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Active recall at the moment affecting many cars for the egr cooler

Get it booked in asap and let BMW make it right
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

I booked my F11 535d in for a service and upon making the booking I was informed of the recall which they are doing at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A brief update: I received the recall letter last week. Tried to book the car in online, the booking system was indicating that the car could be dealt with any time from Thursday 21st Feb if I didn't require a courtesy car. Checking the car in online failed so I called the local (Bolton) dealer who advised that their 1st free slot was around 25th March. I mentioned the fume smell and they told me to call the BMW emergency number. I did this at about 10.00 today. The car was collected at 1.00PM and a replacement car will be delivered tomorrow (my choice, I wanted an auto). BMW Rochdale called me this PM to advise that they expect my car to be ready tomorrow or Thursday subject to inspection.

From my perspective I've no complaints so far about the attention and level of service. This must be costing BMW a fortune.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
SteveGildart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Well, not to put a downer on this but I took mine in for an oil service over 5 weeks ago and they kept it because of the EGR issue. I know I've got a loaner but this is becoming too much. I pay for a 535 and get to drive a 320
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hmmm... Fancy swapping for an Astra 1.6i Diesel Auto? Had a call from Williams Rochdale today saying the part was out of stock and could be in within a day or so. No promises though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine went in for inspection yesterday ..told it needs the cooler

Initially entershite put me into a 320d, which had a brake pad light on due changing in 700miles, car badly pulling to the right on the motorway.

Changed at my work address for a Volvo V40 r design auto, not too bad - very quick!

No news from dealer as to ETA on parts, will chase in the morning
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:51 AM   #8
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for this thread guys.
I just checked my car - 2014 build 535D F11 - and low and behold it is recalled too......
I am out of warranty and I trust that this is paid for by BMW?

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #9
SteveGildart
United Kingdom
Rep

It is covered as it is a safety recall. Just that they never actually give you your car back (joke, I hope). I am wondering if the 535D needs a slightly different EGR and that is what is causing the delay. I keep getting updates to say the parts are not in stock and are waiting for BMW Germany to ship them.

I suppose that there have been a lot to change and therefore the parts are probably being made and not held in the quantity in stock. Just wish Enterprise had given me a G30 to drive so I could have done an extensive test drive

The cost to BMW must be astronomical.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGildart View Post
Well, not to put a downer on this but I took mine in for an oil service over 5 weeks ago and they kept it because of the EGR issue. I know I've got a loaner but this is becoming too much. I pay for a 535 and get to drive a 320
Users are lucky to get any BMW. From my reading, Enterprise is short of hire cars, due to this recall. Drivers are being put in some dire models, just to be mobile.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Same here. Mine went into Sytner on Tues for what I suspected was EGR given the symptoms, but they didn't indicate it as such as mine is outside those listed for recall.
They phoned that afternoon to say it was the EGR and had parts so it would be ready Weds.
Phoned Weds AM and told me they DON'T have parts and will be at least 5 weeks to obtain, so Enterprise are delivering a car to me today. BMW have promised a 5 series or equivalent class & an auto, so will wait to see what arrives.... although the 118i Sytner loaned me isn't that bad to be fair, but it's a 3 door and I have 4yo twins

I'm looking at this as an opportunity to let my mileage drop off in the F11, just annoyed that my dashcam & speed camera unit are hard wired so can't easily grab them and transfer!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not too bad - F31 320d MSport.
Could easily have been a lot worse, as the Enterprise rep admitted he'd had a hell of a job sourcing a BMW for me as "it was clearly stated by BMW recall that I must have a BMW". Most of the other affected owners have been given Astras, he reckons only about 10% get BMWs.
Been told categorically by BMW that they are not to offer Audi, Merc or Volvo replacements regardless of customer demands/whinges/crying/etc
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilonen View Post
Not too bad - F31 320d MSport.
Could easily have been a lot worse, as the Enterprise rep admitted he'd had a hell of a job sourcing a BMW for me as "it was clearly stated by BMW recall that I must have a BMW". Most of the other affected owners have been given Astras, he reckons only about 10% get BMWs.
Been told categorically by BMW that they are not to offer Audi, Merc or Volvo replacements regardless of customer demands/whinges/crying/etc
I'm currently pottering about in a very nippy V40 D4 'R Design'!

would much rather have a BMW or VW however as the controls in this volvo are just...strange!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #14
R11RRY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D Xdrive Mperformance

Mine wemt in today. Theyve kept it and loaned me, via enterprise, a vauxhall insignia estate! Its the worst car for parking and a manual also. They said theyl try to get me into something else later this week.
Enterprise tried seling me an excess waiver which would have been £100 for the term of the rental. Suret bmw should have copped out for that too?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #15
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
I've posted this on other forums, but I might as well throw it on here too. My car went in on 4th Feb. The dealer rang me first to say it needed the part, they didn't have it in stock, so BMW UK would be in touch with a hire car offer. Enterprise called later to ask for my car requirements. They somehow read that as I had an estate I needed an estate, so they dropped round a Fiat Tipo Estate, 2017, with over 30,000 hard miles. It was awful, and wouldn't drive in a straight line (during the 11 miles I did in it). They swapped it for a Mokka X Elite, which was a big improvement. I got my car back after 10 days, so not disastrous by any means. There were signs though it had been parked somewhere 'leafy' during that time; it had what I would describe as a horrendous dealer wash before they gave it back to me.
Enterprise have had a few customers demanding BMWs - or people have just got lucky & ended up in one - but Enterprise are not obliged to put you in a BMW. They tried the hard sell insurance excess thing with me too, but I declined (& thought it was cheeky).
I also don't think BMW has told Enterprise not to rent Mercedes/Audi/Volvo on their dime. But they have told them to keep costs down, so there's no executive cars being given out. I don't think a V40 falls into the exec category.
They do seem to have a lot of 'scrap' in their fleets at the moment; maybe this windfall from BMW will allow them to upgrade/refresh the fleet.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

The BMW rental agreement doesn't cover third party damage.
I found out the hard way after someone ripped the front bumper off the v90 I was given as a replacement after the V40 was leaking exhaust fumes into the cabin
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
Boshy
Rep
Drives: F11 520d se

Dick lovetts in hungerford did mine as part of the service. Supplied me one of their own courtesy bmw cars, picked it up the next day. Great service.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
SteveGildart
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, day 48 for me, and just got a call from dealer. No news of part but they have expectations of the 'end of the month'. That will be 10 weeks. Got onto BMW customer services last week, not bothered about finance, extended warranty or insurance wasted during this period. Making me seriously considering not buying BMW again
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
SteveGildart
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah!!!! Day 54 and I've got my car back. Turns out that the drivetrain problems I was having with the loaner 320D were due to... a failing EGR!

It's so nice to be back in a proper car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just got mine back today too after having its cooler replaced, only took 3 weeks so I think I ought to count myself lucky!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
HandyAndy6789
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Reading through this isn't filling me with hope, mine has some of the symptoms of the ERG issue, and is due in on Wednesday for the check... 10 weeks waiting on a part sounds crazy!! But I expect that recalling 1.6 million cars will lend itself to a shortage of replacement parts.

I was looking at the E class Merc yesterday, they seem a little more expensive (like for like), so will probably stay with BMW next time, but I guess that depends on how I get looked after next week and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #22
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Got mine back today after 6.5 weeks.

Was thoroughly PO'd by Sytner Nottingham for failing to return repeated calls over a 4 day period (me asking for an update), and when I finally spoke to the service manager to complain about the advisor I was told that the car had been sorted yesterday evening, and was ready to collect.
My local Enterprise shuts at 12 on a Sat, so I still have the 320 until Monday as I cannot return it yet....
Appreciate 0