2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Is it too many alpha males that keep #1 drivers from a #2 seat on a top tier F1 team?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
racerbruce
Racerbruce
racerbruce's Avatar
210
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MR Imola Red
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Is it too many alpha males that keep #1 drivers from a #2 seat on a top tier F1 team?

Is it because of previous explosive relationships (Senna/Prost) etc??

If I was a Team Principal, I would want the two FASTEST drivers, period.

I would ensure their contract includes clause(s) that state if their behavior as defined by on-track and off-track results diminishes the team's brand or breaks the FIA's Sporting Regulations....

You're done....
You're sacked....

I would not allow egos to dictate why, in VERY recent history....an Alonzo, a Ricciardo, etc is not chosen for a top tier team.
__________________
Racerbruce
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / RE Trans Mounts / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / CoCo Floor Mats / #748 of 3,041
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
ptack's Avatar
United_States
133
Rep
4,427
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.25]
The people doing the hiring have different things to consider depending on their goals. If they are a top team, then this is all about winning the constructor's championship for the millions it delivers. That's a team prize so you better have a great team starting with the championship caliber driver. Could you have two? Maybe, but can you afford that? Will it even be necessary if you believe you have the best car and program? Finding great drivers isn't easy because the best proven ones are usually under contract to your competitors. Probably the most effective way is to have your own driver development program to at least ensure a supply of new, relatively inexpensive talent. This is what most top teams do today. Have 1 star and 1 less expensive apprentice. The drama usually happens when the apprentice outshines the master which inevitably happens as racers age. The second tier teams have harder decisions to make because they don't have the resources and know they aren't winning the championship. Their goal is mostly to find and satisfy sponsors so as to live another day until maybe they get someone with very deep pockets. It's always about the money.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
2249
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

hard to have watched Melbourne yesterday and not to have lamented the apparent likelihood that we won't get to see Daniel Ricciardo in a Benz or Ferrari.
Appreciate 1
lukej172.50

      03-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
hard to have watched Melbourne yesterday and not to have lamented the apparent likelihood that we won't get to see Daniel Ricciardo in a Benz or Ferrari.
I still do not understand why he left Red Bull, does anyone really know?
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille2248.50

      03-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Major
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
613
Rep
1,231
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I still do not understand why he left Red Bull, does anyone really know?
According to the netflix doc he said wanted a change, he had been there all his career and wanted to start fresh. He didn't know about the capabilities of honda powertrains and if they had what it takes to compete. Said he spoke with Renault a bunch and knew the direction and improvements they wanted to make and felt that he would have a good shot at a championship with them.
Appreciate 1
MJE60227.00

      03-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
2249
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
hard to have watched Melbourne yesterday and not to have lamented the apparent likelihood that we won't get to see Daniel Ricciardo in a Benz or Ferrari.
I still do not understand why he left Red Bull, does anyone really know?
.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
MJE60227.00
MKSixer12549.00

      03-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
.
O.k. But most of the retirements were due to the Renault engine (or MV) . Moving to team Renault has locked him into potentially the same scenario for 2019.

Let us hope Renault find power and reliability this season.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-26-2019 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2019, 03:37 AM   #8
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Alpha Males, So my big question for you all is what about Max V.

In 2018, I appreciated watching someone carve through the field and take risks, he clearly also has talent. However, I also think he is too immature/reckless. I think he got away with many moves because he had nothing to lose and was against drivers who did. His behaviour (one example, multiple moves in braking zone was tolerated because of his age and the excitment he brought to F1). BUT, If the Honda engine delivers he could be fighting for the championship and imho, he will f*c* it up simply because he will expect respect/room which he will not himself give (like he did to Daniel). IMHO, he will be ready in a couple of years time but not in 2019.

Am I wrong? And/or Is this theoretical and the Honda unit not up to the job? IMO, there were a couple of young drivers in 2018 which would have done better in the Red Bull set-up or (are you from Belgium/Holland and not a biased Brit) do you believe Max would have won the 2018 championship, if he had been in a Merc or Ferrari?

Last edited by MJE60; 03-26-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille2248.50
MKSixer12549.00

      03-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
2249
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Alpha Males, So my big question for you all is what about Max V.

In 2018, I appreciated watching someone carve through the field and take risks, he clearly also has talent. However, I also think he is too immature/reckless. I think he got away with many moves because he had nothing to lose and was against drivers who did. His behaviour (one example, multiple moves in braking zone was tolerated because of his age and the excitment he brought to F1). BUT, If the Honda engine delivers he could be fighting for the championship and imho, he will f*c* it up simply because he will expect respect/room which he will not himself give (like he did to Daniel). IMHO, he will be ready in a couple of years time but not in 2019.

Am I wrong? And/or Is this theoretical and the Honda unit not up to the job? IMO, there were a couple of young drivers in 2018 which would have done better in the Red Bull set-up or (are you from Belgium/Holland and not a biased Brit) do you believe Max would have won the 2018 championship, if he had been in a Merc or Ferrari?
regarding Max: I have to say I was one of those, when we first heard that Max was coming to F1, who thought it was crazy to put someone that young with so little experience in an F1 car. I was wrong. Max should have let Ocon go in Brazil, he would have won that race if he had. So Max has made mistakes, but he's made fewer than Seb in the recent period. And he is undeniably very fast. With a little more experience he's going to be hard to beat. I think Seb himself said it best==>
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 4
MJE60227.00
EdM5434.50
MKSixer12549.00

      03-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
regarding Max: I have to say I was one of those, when we first heard that Max was coming to F1, who thought it was crazy to put someone that young with so little experience in an F1 car. I was wrong. Max should have let Ocon go in Brazil, he would have won that race if he had. So Max has made mistakes, but he's made fewer than Seb in the recent period. And he is undeniably very fast. With a little more experience he's going to be hard to beat. I think Seb himself said it best==>
Well hopefully he will continue to make F1 a more exciting sport for many years to come.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17712
Rep
10,576
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Alpha Males, So my big question for you all is what about Max V.

In 2018, I appreciated watching someone carve through the field and take risks, he clearly also has talent. However, I also think he is too immature/reckless. I think he got away with many moves because he had nothing to lose and was against drivers who did. His behaviour (one example, multiple moves in braking zone was tolerated because of his age and the excitment he brought to F1). BUT, If the Honda engine delivers he could be fighting for the championship and imho, he will f*c* it up simply because he will expect respect/room which he will not himself give (like he did to Daniel). IMHO, he will be ready in a couple of years time but not in 2019.

Am I wrong? And/or Is this theoretical and the Honda unit not up to the job? IMO, there were a couple of young drivers in 2018 which would have done better in the Red Bull set-up or (are you from Belgium/Holland and not a biased Brit) do you believe Max would have won the 2018 championship, if he had been in a Merc or Ferrari?
1- Absolutely ! Of course all depends from the new Honda power source !
2- Spot on !
3- I'm Belgian and Max actually too (Belgian ID) Because Max is born in Belgium !
Attached Images
 
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
MJE60227.00
Poiseuille2248.50

      03-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17712
Rep
10,576
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
regarding Max: I have to say I was one of those, when we first heard that Max was coming to F1, who thought it was crazy to put someone that young with so little experience in an F1 car. I was wrong. Max should have let Ocon go in Brazil, he would have won that race if he had. So Max has made mistakes, but he's made fewer than Seb in the recent period. And he is undeniably very fast. With a little more experience he's going to be hard to beat. I think Seb himself said it best==>
Wait and see !

And Max in 2009 ...Check this out !

Attached Images
 
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
MJE60227.00

      03-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Anyone who loves F1 (and I do) will hope the Honda power unit is competitive. It would be fantastic if there is a three or even four way battle for the title. I hope Max has learnt from his mistakes, I am still not sure he is ready yet but I wish him (and Belgium) well for 2019 . I, of course, reserve my right to cheer for Lewis. (and allow our Dutch friends to cheer for Max as well)
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17712
Rep
10,576
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Anyone who loves F1 (and I do) will hope the Honda power unit is competitive. It would be fantastic if there is a three or even four way battle for the title. I hope Max has learnt from his mistakes, I am still not sure he is ready yet but I wish him (and Belgium) well for 2019 . I, of course, reserve my right to cheer for Lewis.
Thank you my friend ! And Max is more than ready . Don't forget he was only 17 when he won already his first F1 race ..
Who did this before in the F1 history ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Alfisti
Major
845
Rep
1,077
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I still do not understand why he left Red Bull, does anyone really know?
It was very., very clear that RBR were going to back Max. he is box office and european so publicity wise is a money machine even if Daniel is far more of a personality.

As an aussie i can admit Max seems that touch faster, that last 10th or two. Daniel figured he'd be second fiddle.

Then Baku happened. This was black and white max's fault, he had been warned about moving in braking zones many times and finally he caused a massive crash ..... with his teammate. RBR three Riccardo under the bus forcing them both to apologise when it was CLEARLY Max's fault. Daniel was not returning to RBR after that, was never gonna happen.

What i don't understand is why Ferrari didn't snap him up, he's a point scoring machine in a reliable car, probably the most mistake free of the top 5 drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
MJE60
First Lieutenant
MJE60's Avatar
England
227
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: BMW f48 xline 2.0 D
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dorset, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It was very., very clear that RBR were going to back Max. he is box office and european so publicity wise is a money machine even if Daniel is far more of a personality.

As an aussie i can admit Max seems that touch faster, that last 10th or two. Daniel figured he'd be second fiddle.

Then Baku happened. This was black and white max's fault, he had been warned about moving in braking zones many times and finally he caused a massive crash ..... with his teammate. RBR three Riccardo under the bus forcing them both to apologise when it was CLEARLY Max's fault. Daniel was not returning to RBR after that, was never gonna happen.

What i don't understand is why Ferrari didn't snap him up, he's a point scoring machine in a reliable car, probably the most mistake free of the top 5 drivers.
Thanks, valuable insight. I suspect the reason Daniel and Ferrari were not an item is for the same reason Leclerc was told to pull over in race one of the season. Ferrari still believe SV will deliver for them and hiring Daniel for number 2 would have left him back where he started at Red Bull.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
racerbruce
Racerbruce
racerbruce's Avatar
210
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MR Imola Red
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Originally Posted by Alfisti
What i don't understand is why Ferrari didn't snap him up, he's a point scoring machine in a reliable car, probably the most mistake free of the top 5 drivers.

Agreed - I initiated this thread regarding #1 and #2 seats....Daniel is of Italian descent and it should have been his next seat.
__________________
Racerbruce
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / RE Trans Mounts / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / CoCo Floor Mats / #748 of 3,041

Last edited by racerbruce; 03-30-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
12549
Rep
6,487
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Thanks, valuable insight. I suspect the reason Daniel and Ferrari were not an item is for the same reason Leclerc was told to pull over in race one of the season. Ferrari still believe SV will deliver for them and hiring Daniel for number 2 would have left him back where he started at Red Bull.
RIC has already handed VET his butt at RB in 2014 causing VET to run to, The Scuderia. There was no way VET would allow another rematch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Originally Posted by Alfisti
What i don't understand is why Ferrari didn't snap him up, he's a point scoring machine in a reliable car, probably the most mistake free of the top 5 drivers.

Agreed - I initiated this thread regarding #1 and #2 seats....Daniel is of Italian descent and it should have been his next seat.
When is the last time an Italian has driven for them on a non-emergency basis? Alesi?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 1
MJE60227.00

      04-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
2249
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Anyone who loves F1 (and I do) will hope the Honda power unit is competitive. It would be fantastic if there is a three or even four way battle for the title. I hope Max has learnt from his mistakes, I am still not sure he is ready yet but I wish him (and Belgium) well for 2019 . I, of course, reserve my right to cheer for Lewis. (and allow our Dutch friends to cheer for Max as well)
thank you for providing me with an excuse for posting this pic yet again==>
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
MJE60227.00

      04-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #20
Fliplegend
Private First Class
Fliplegend's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2015 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Daniel left RB because he saw an opportunity to leave. If you look back at their driver program, not a lot of drivers (who do not have a WDC) have had the chance to leave. Once you are in the RB driving program, they own you.
__________________
15' 328ix Mineral White | Saddle Brown | Luxury | SAT
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST