2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Simple trip to BMW Dealer....

05-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Simple trip to BMW Dealer....

2013 550i
Simple trip to BMW Dealer to get oil change 46k miles
Surprise surprise I need upper oil pan gasket and lower pan gasket
they told me its leaking. I never notice any leaks in my garage I always park in same spot, They also mentioned I need coolant flush and Differential fluid changed.
I do have warranty they have to call and ask if they will cover gaskets.
My issue is 46k miles its FU(king leaking and what's the deal Coolant flush at 46k miles and differential flush IMO its soon that should be more like 75k miles.
      05-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
Oil pan gaskets on all BMWs have been a problem for decades. I've owned 6 BMWs and did coolant flushes every two years on all of them -- cheap insurance. Front differential failed on my E91 out of warranty at 52k mi so I should have flushed it and transfer case. Also ZF factory recommends a transmission flush at 60k.
      05-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
2013 550i
they told me its leaking. I never notice any leaks in my garage I always park in same spot, They also mentioned I need coolant flush and Differential fluid changed.
My issue is 46k miles its FU(king leaking and what's the deal Coolant flush at 46k miles and differential flush IMO its soon that should be more like 75k miles.
It's a time thing, not necessarily a mileage thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
2013 550i
It's a time thing, not necessarily a mileage thing.
Why is time important
It's not like oil goes bad after time
      05-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Why is time important
It's not like oil goes bad after time
Because of its hygroscopic properties.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

how about the oil filter housing gasket?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

Shit design and material properties. Component parts are all driven by cost reductions now so while they could use a better engineering grade of rubber for the gaskets that would last the life of the car, they use the cheapest material that will work to get it past 5 yrs or so (warranty period)... sometimes just to save a few cents (which adds up when your buying hundreds of thousands of them....) I work in Procurement Engineering; that is part of what we do. Also it is not aerospace or medical where if a gasket starts leaking someone might die, so the risk factor is low for BMW.

Sometimes an aftermarket part might be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Shit design and material properties. Component parts are all driven by cost reductions now so while they could use a better engineering grade of rubber for the gaskets that would last the life of the car, they use the cheapest material that will work to get it past 5 yrs or so (warranty period)... sometimes just to save a few cents (which adds up when your buying hundreds of thousands of them....) I work in Procurement Engineering; that is part of what we do. Also it is not aerospace or medical where if a gasket starts leaking someone might die, so the risk factor is low for BMW.

Sometimes an aftermarket part might be a better choice.
that cost reduction can cause serious damage to the motor since the oil leaks down onto the belt which have been reported to fall off. they should have used better materials...it's a damn BMW wtf right?!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

BMW should fire retard employees and board members and invest more money in better materials. My proposal can help BMW achieve better reliability. 🤣 I can personally guarantee it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I've owned 5 BMWs over the years and every single one of them has leaked oil at one or more times. That said, they've also all felt great to drive even as they got into higher mileage. It seems like the driving experience (and general appearance) holds up well, but gaskets, seals, etc. need more frequent maintenance attention than I would prefer. Overall, it's an OK tradeoff for me, although obviously would be better if they could figure out how to prevent such early failure on the gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Upper and lower oil pan gasket leaks are common to the N63, but not at your mileage.

I would have it reinspected by an independant you trust.

I have a ton of clients come to me from dealerships seeking second opinions and I find the overwhelming majority of dealer found LEAKS are an insignificant seep or weep and have 10's of thousands of miles and or years to go before they start dripping. That said the fiberous engine undertray catches leaks for awhile before owners notice them, and I've had a number of clients willing to throw hands with me when I tell them there car has a leak until I walk them out with the diaper off the car and they can see for themselves....

Dripping = Leak where I am concerned. Weep and seep are only enough oil moisture to accumulate dust sticking to them.

Differential fluid should be serviced in the 80-100k range.

BMW's official stance on coolant now is that it is a lifetime fluid, warranty only pays for it to be exchanged as part of a covered repair. Otherwise coolant should be exchanged every 4 years to ensure it maintains its pH balance and lubricating properties.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:20 AM   #12
DAYINAZ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 540 White

Don't feel bad I have a 2016 550 Msport that has 38,300 miles and they are pulling the engine out to replace the valve guide seals, reassembling the cylinder heads, replacing leaking lower timing case cover gaskets, replacing the crankshaft seal.....the dealer I have it at has 6 service bays with engines pulled out with the same problem. This is my 3rd 550. Fortunately for me, it is a lease and I return the vehicle right after the job is complete. To this day, I would never own the N63Tu outright or without a wicked warranty. I have spent the last 30 days driving a 2 series, I am 6'3 not fun.

Once its returned next month, it will be auctioned as its not worth shit. 38,300 miles.

Time to step away form BMW...... Like BB king said, "the thrill is gone"
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYINAZ View Post
Don't feel bad I have a 2016 550 Msport that has 38,300 miles and they are pulling the engine out to replace the valve guide seals, reassembling the cylinder heads, replacing leaking lower timing case cover gaskets, replacing the crankshaft seal.....the dealer I have it at has 6 service bays with engines pulled out with the same problem. This is my 3rd 550. Fortunately for me, it is a lease and I return the vehicle right after the job is complete. To this day, I would never own the N63Tu outright or without a wicked warranty. I have spent the last 30 days driving a 2 series, I am 6'3 not fun.

Once its returned next month, it will be auctioned as its not worth shit. 38,300 miles.

Time to step away form BMW...... Like BB king said, "the thrill is gone"
Yeah times I wish I should have bought 535
For me I still don't know how will this shakeout
Service advisor still didn't call me back
To tell me if warranty will cover repair.
If they don't approve repair it I will have to do some hard thinking as I did when I had Audi A8L
With endless repairs.
      05-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Upper and lower oil pan gasket leaks are common to the N63, but not at your mileage.

I have a ton of clients come to me from dealerships seeking second opinions and I find the overwhelming majority of dealer found LEAKS are an insignificant seep or weep and have 10's of thousands of miles and or years to go before they start dripping. That said the fiberous engine undertray catches leaks for awhile before owners notice them, and I've had a number of clients willing to throw hands with me when I tell them there car has a leak until I walk them out with the diaper off the car and they can see for themselves....

Dripping = Leak where I am concerned. Weep and seep are only enough oil moisture to accumulate dust sticking to them.

BMW's official stance on coolant now is that it is a lifetime fluid, warranty only pays for it to be exchanged as part of a covered repair. Otherwise coolant should be exchanged every 4 years to ensure it maintains its pH balance and lubricating properties.
You might be right I don't think it's leaking bad
I never notice anything under my car.
Last time I drove 8k miles only had to add 1qt of oil.
I was told by service advisory that's almost unheard of on this engine.
I might be just Exaggerating and freaking out I need liftup my car and check this with my own eyes. They might be just trying to get paid from warranty company.
      05-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

update as of today Monday 5/6/2019 still no call from service advisor to tell me if warranty approve the work to be done.
      05-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I don't know I still didn't get a chance to clim under the car to see this for my self
Like I said earlier I never notice any leaks
@Stück mentioned earlier you can go sometimes miles and miles before you get real leak and dripping.
at this point not sure what to do if I should press warranty company to pay for work or just say fuck it
      05-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

N63's don't have an oil filter housing gasket... the oil filter housing is the upper oil pan....
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

it seams everything is common issue on N63 LOL

so what you saying Diff fluid don't worry until at leas 80k
Coolant flush I should but does is matter I do not drive my car in winter?
      05-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #19
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Unless they can show you the coolant is contaminated, or the pH is out of spec I would file the recommendation under "wallet flush" which dealers have a wide menu of.

4 years is a solid recommendation, but in most cases these cars don't hold the same coolant in for 4 years anyway. Either a failed component or unrelated service that opens the cooling system will provide fresh coolant infusion at some point more often than not...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #20
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unless they can show you the coolant is contaminated, or the pH is out of spec I would file the recommendation under "wallet flush" which dealers have a wide menu of.

4 years is a solid recommendation, but in most cases these cars don't hold the same coolant in for 4 years anyway. Either a failed component or unrelated service that opens the cooling system will provide fresh coolant infusion at some point more often than not...
you brought up good point last year when they replace my coolant lines.
I would think they did coolant at that point wouldn't you think
I think they just trying to Fuck me
      05-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #21
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
For coolant, I go with Mike Miller's maintenance schedule:

"The factory coolant change interval used to be every two years. Starting in the late 1990s, BMW lengthened the coolant change interval to every three years, then every four years.

As of 2004, BMW says coolant is “lifetime fill.” There was no discernable change in original BMW anti-freeze during this transition, other than who pays for the service during the warranty period.

I recommend changing engine coolant at two-year intervals, using only factory BMW anti-freeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water (reason – BMW anti-freeze is phosphate free, phosphates cause aluminum oxidation, which blocks cylinder head coolant passages and causes head gasket failure, others may claim to be “aluminum safe” or “phosphate free” – make your choice, but I’ve used BMW anti-freeze exclusively in many cars and have never had an aluminum oxidation or head gasket problem)."
      05-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #22
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Update as of today warranty approved work to be performed
I have appointment 5/21 I will update when everything is done.