2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Best Recommendations for Run Flat Tires
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #1
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Best Recommendations for Run Flat Tires

Can I get some recommendations on a good run flat tire for a 2015 BMW 528i base model, tire size 225 / 55 / R17? Currently, I have Goodyear LS 2 run flats.

I am searching for a tire that has a balance of good tread life. comfort, ride, and handling from a reputable website with great prices. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4475
Rep
5,353
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

I really liked the Bridgestone Driveguard's I had on our 2012 base 535i. I wanted to put them on our 2014 535i M-Sport, but they didn't come in the correct sizes. Michelin is also a pretty good bet. Personally, I'd stay far way from Goodyear & Pirelli.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2023, 08:59 PM   #3
tringuyen7757
Private First Class
tringuyen7757's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 528i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milpitas, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [7.20]
+1 for bridgestone driveguards. rides way smoother and quieter than the continentals from factory. can be easily found for cheap at costco
__________________
Tri Nguyen
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2023, 12:21 AM   #4
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
ChiltiCoatl89's Avatar
United_States
1769
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Nevada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
Can I get some recommendations on a good run flat tire for a 2015 BMW 528i base model, tire size 225 / 55 / R17? Currently, I have Goodyear LS 2 run flats.

I am searching for a tire that has a balance of good tread life. comfort, ride, and handling from a reputable website with great prices. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Do you plan on going on Alot of trips? Different types of terrain? looking for a Summer Tire? Performance All season?

Tire Rack usually has some good deals, Website is great for comparing as well as setting up your configuration and the reviews do help a lot on each tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #5
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: '13 535xi
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

"Friends don't let friends drive run flats"
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #6
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
127
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Curious why you're planning on sticking with run-flats. Not trying to be an ass, just genuinely wondering.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 12:51 PM   #7
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Curious why you're planning on sticking with run-flats. Not trying to be an ass, just genuinely wondering.
Only for the peace of mind they may provide.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 12:57 PM   #8
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiltiCoatl89 View Post
Do you plan on going on Alot of trips? Different types of terrain? looking for a Summer Tire? Performance All season?

Tire Rack usually has some good deals, Website is great for comparing as well as setting up your configuration and the reviews do help a lot on each tire.
I'm not planning on going to any trips, really. I live in L.A., so these tires are for mostly city driving and not much of it.

I have heard that the Bridgestone Driveguard Plus is a good run flat with a 65,000 mile tread warranty. However, these tires seem to be on the noisier side and harsher side if my research is accurate.

I currently have the Goodyear LS 2 runflat tires which don't provide much traction, exude minimal noise, but the front tires have chipped and have worn out more quickly than the back tires.

I'm also looking at the Pirelli P 7 Cinturato runflats that are going to be the most expensive tires I can purchase. Tirerack tells me they are near the top of the list as far as runflats go, but do not have as much tread life as the Bridgestone Driveguard Plus run flats.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #9
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tringuyen7757 View Post
+1 for bridgestone driveguards. rides way smoother and quieter than the continentals from factory. can be easily found for cheap at costco
Are we talking about the newer version of the Bridgestone tires as in the Bridgestone Driveguard Plus run flats?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #10
tringuyen7757
Private First Class
tringuyen7757's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 528i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milpitas, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [7.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
Are we talking about the newer version of the Bridgestone tires as in the Bridgestone Driveguard Plus run flats?
Either one. Personally I havenít tried the Driveguard Plus but it should be a good improvement overall. Iíve recently went for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP on my Apex Wheels set, otherwise I wouldíve gone with the Driveguard Plus
__________________
Tri Nguyen
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 10:30 PM   #11
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

I need to make a decision by tomorrow. If anyone else has any suggestions or recommendations, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2023, 10:58 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4475
Rep
5,353
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
I'm not planning on going to any trips, really. I live in L.A., so these tires are for mostly city driving and not much of it.

I have heard that the Bridgestone Driveguard Plus is a good run flat with a 65,000 mile tread warranty. However, these tires seem to be on the noisier side and harsher side if my research is accurate.

I currently have the Goodyear LS 2 runflat tires which don't provide much traction, exude minimal noise, but the front tires have chipped and have worn out more quickly than the back tires....
On our 2012 I went from the LS2's to the Driveguards. The difference was night and day. The Bridgestones were quieter, smoother and handled like "regular" tires. Like I said earlier, I wish they came in the M-Sport sizes as I would buy them in a heartbeat. I have Continentals on my G30, and they suck almost as bad as the LS2s did.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Still on the fence about runflat tires. I'm now thinking about picking up three used ones on ebay and one new one online. Still, I don't really trust ebay--they say the tires haven't been repaired, specifically, I think they don't have sidewall repair. However, my research suggests that even though they are told to be not repaired; they have maybe been plugged or patched not on the sidewall, of course.

Bridgestone Driveguard Plus runflats seems to make sense as a purchase, but I've heard people specifically on youtube state that they have had blowouts with those tires. Any further input from group members here would really help me out as tires are a big purchase, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #14
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: '13 535xi
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=Bmoney2K4;30709199] I'm now thinking about picking up three used ones on ebay and one new one online.

Xdrive is not going to like the different tire diameters. Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #15
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=ChiNorm;30709215]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
I'm now thinking about picking up three used ones on ebay and one new one online.

Xdrive is not going to like the different tire diameters. Caveat emptor.
It's not an X-Drive, it's a square set-up, RWD 528i, base.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2023, 06:29 PM   #16
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Are there any other recommendations out there? I've been really trying to get the right tires as this is a big purchase for me at this time. Any other help would be loved right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #17
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
musclesmarinara75's Avatar
United_States
206
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bayonne, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
Are there any other recommendations out there? I've been really trying to get the right tires as this is a big purchase for me at this time. Any other help would be loved right now.
Reommendation... sure, GET RID OF RUN FLATS!!... lol.. I really dislike them though
__________________
$ PURE STAGE 2 {} JORDAN CUSTOM TUNE {} DORCH HPFP {} SNOW METH {} DINAN EXHAUST {} EVOLV DARK OLIVE WRAP $
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 01:23 PM   #18
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesmarinara75 View Post
Reommendation... sure, GET RID OF RUN FLATS!!... lol.. I really dislike them though
Which make / model did you have of run flats?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:36 PM   #19
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
musclesmarinara75's Avatar
United_States
206
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bayonne, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
Which make / model did you have of run flats?


I don't think you understood my last reply !.. I am not of fan of run flats, I do not have them on my car anymore!! lol
__________________
$ PURE STAGE 2 {} JORDAN CUSTOM TUNE {} DORCH HPFP {} SNOW METH {} DINAN EXHAUST {} EVOLV DARK OLIVE WRAP $
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #20
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

I bought the Bridgestones Driveguard Plus tires in size 225 / 55 / R 17, and they offer very little grip or traction. They feel cheap as I know that Firestone makes them. I know youíre supposed to wait 500 miles or so for the lubricant to wear off a bit, but these tires donít come close to the grip I was getting in my Goodyear LS 2 runflats. Furthermore, I am thinking about returning them if possible and going back to the LS 2s or buying the Michelin MXM 4s. I know itís going to cost me a lot, but the 2015 528i with the base suspension has very little feel and I feel desperate to get some back.

Any thoughts or input would be very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:17 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4475
Rep
5,353
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
I bought the Bridgestones Driveguard Plus tires in size 225 / 55 / R 17, and they offer very little grip or traction. They feel cheap as I know that Firestone makes them. I know youíre supposed to wait 500 miles or so for the lubricant to wear off a bit, but these tires donít come close to the grip I was getting in my Goodyear LS 2 runflats. Furthermore, I am thinking about returning them if possible and going back to the LS 2s or buying the Michelin MXM 4s. I know itís going to cost me a lot, but the 2015 528i with the base suspension has very little feel and I feel desperate to get some back.

Any thoughts or input would be very much appreciated.
Something's wrong, IMHO. I had the Driveguard's in 245/45/18 on my 2012 535i and loved them. They were far superior to the LS2's that came on the car. I would have purchased them for my 2014 535i, but they weren't available in the correct sizes. Actually, Bridgestone owns Firestone and Firestone is considered the cheaper brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:58 PM   #22
Bmoney2K4
Captain
185
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Something's wrong, IMHO. I had the Driveguard's in 245/45/18 on my 2012 535i and loved them. They were far superior to the LS2's that came on the car. I would have purchased them for my 2014 535i, but they weren't available in the correct sizes. Actually, Bridgestone owns Firestone and Firestone is considered the cheaper brand.
Thank you for your input along the way. Truth be told, I have only driven about 150 miles on them, but I donít find them becoming stickier or grippier for that matter. I think the website I bought them said ďthey have a 30-day ride period to see if I like them. I have to rush to a decision soon to see if I should, in fact, return them. The ironic thing is LS 2s get such poor reviews but I am sure, without a doubt, they can grip better, turn better, and inspire more confidence than the Bridgestone Driveguard plus tires.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST