2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pre-LCI Lit Side Markers On LCI?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2024, 11:17 PM   #1
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Pre-LCI Lit Side Markers On LCI?

I have a 2016 LCI with the chrome side markers. They look hilariously bad as-is. I don't want to just wrap them, I'd rather they be functional.

I want to install pre-LCI lit side markers. I found a set of LED markers that don't look too cheesy that come with wire harnesses to tie into the mirror mounted lights. That. or the OE markers which I think look good too.

Has anyone installed these, or the OE markers on an LCI car? If so, any tips on where to tie in the wiring? Any error code issues or coding required?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:13 PM   #2
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:48 AM   #3
sszablya
Private
35
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2011 F10 550xi
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

To clarify- you want lighted pre-LCI side markers? What about non-lighted side markers painted OE colors from IND?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:57 AM   #4
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sszablya View Post
To clarify- you want lighted pre-LCI side markers? What about non-lighted side markers painted OE colors from IND?
Yes.

I specifically do not want to do painted/wrapped LCI markers. If theyíre there they should serve a purpose in my opinion.

Gloss black pre-LCI markers would be my preference, but they donít seem to exist anymore. Iíd prefer to paint/wrap an OE set, but Iíd do aftermarket if I could find a set that donít do the sequential thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:40 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
4426
Rep
7,468
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

By "sidemarker" you mean the piece that contains the pre LCI turn indicators (#1 in diagram below) & parking assist sensor, right?

#1 = pre LCI turn indicator (also contains the Parking Assist sensor for both pre LCI & LCI)
#5 = LCI turn indicator
Attached Images
 
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-29-2024 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 01:20 PM   #6
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
ctcarbonari's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Iíve seen this question asked a few times in F10 forums and Iíve yet to see any response identifying how/where to splice in the wiring.

I 100% agree with the OP that the LCI chrome markers look out of place. The only purpose they serve is to fill the hole. 😃

I installed gloss black painted from IND and am happy enough (at least theyíre not chrome). Iíve been seriously contemplating intalling Alpine White painted. Weíll see.

Good Luck OP & plz post if/when you find a way to do this.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
addy27
Captain
United_States
388
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

I installed LCI mirrors on my Pre-LCI but kept the original markers.. I now have 4 turn bulbs on each side of the car..a little overkill but I wanted the Mirror turn signals.

You will just need the wiring diagram for the Door connectors and tap into two wires from behind and make a custom extension to connect to the OE side markers. No error codes once install so no coding needed.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2024, 12:00 AM   #8
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
By "sidemarker" you mean the piece that contains the pre LCI turn indicators (#1 in diagram below) & parking assist sensor, right?

#1 = pre LCI turn indicator (also contains the Parking Assist sensor for both pre LCI & LCI)
#5 = LCI turn indicator
Yes, #1, you got it!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:02 AM   #9
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post
Good Luck OP & plz post if/when you find a way to do this.
Hopefully this will be the thread where it finally gets figured out!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:06 AM   #10
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I installed LCI mirrors on my Pre-LCI but kept the original markers.. I now have 4 turn bulbs on each side of the car..a little overkill but I wanted the Mirror turn signals.

You will just need the wiring diagram for the Door connectors and tap into two wires from behind and make a custom extension to connect to the OE side markers. No error codes once install so no coding needed.
Yessir, thatís what Iím after! The LCI mirror signals point mainly forward and the pre-LCI markers point mainly rearward (I think) so the overall effect must be nice!

Got any pics youíd like to share? Iím looking to have that exact look, but I just need to do the inverse of what you did!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:39 PM   #11
sszablya
Private
35
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2011 F10 550xi
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Yes.

I specifically do not want to do painted/wrapped LCI markers. If theyíre there they should serve a purpose in my opinion.

Gloss black pre-LCI markers would be my preference, but they donít seem to exist anymore. Iíd prefer to paint/wrap an OE set, but Iíd do aftermarket if I could find a set that donít do the sequential thing.
Interesting idea. I wouldnít expect them to be interchangeable, or at least not plug and play from a wiring perspective.

I have a set of pre-LCI sidemarkers that I could take some pics of if itís helpful to know the dimensions/clips match the LCI version.

As for wiring, I would think you could tap into the turn signal wiring at the headlights and run some wires to the sidemarkers to get them to illuminate. But I donít know anything about the load sensitivity of that circuit and whether additional lighting load would cause an issue.

Edit: I just read Addyís post. lol. If you want to practice on some sidemarkers, I can send you my old chrome ones for the cost of shipping.

Edit2: I guess I also need to make sure I kept them before offering them up. Let me know if youíre interested and Iíll go look for them.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #12
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sszablya View Post
Interesting idea. I wouldnít expect them to be interchangeable, or at least not plug and play from a wiring perspective.

I have a set of pre-LCI sidemarkers that I could take some pics of if itís helpful to know the dimensions/clips match the LCI version.

As for wiring, I would think you could tap into the turn signal wiring at the headlights and run some wires to the sidemarkers to get them to illuminate. But I donít know anything about the load sensitivity of that circuit and whether additional lighting load would cause an issue.

Edit: I just read Addyís post. lol. If you want to practice on some sidemarkers, I can send you my old chrome ones for the cost of shipping.

Edit2: I guess I also need to make sure I kept them before offering them up. Let me know if youíre interested and Iíll go look for them.
That would be awesome! Iím absolutely in for those! Let me know if you find them. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #13
addy27
Captain
United_States
388
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Iíll try to get a better night photo outside when itís not raining but attaching a couple older ones
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 2
M_Bimmer581.00
      02-07-2024, 09:46 PM   #14
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Looks great! I'm motivated to get this done now!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:10 PM   #15
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

For anyone interested, the original part numbers for cars without the park-assist sensors are:

63137154167
63137154168
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:29 PM   #16
M_Bimmer
Captain
M_Bimmer's Avatar
581
Rep
828
Posts

Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Left Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I’ll try to get a better night photo outside when it’s not raining but attaching a couple older ones
Love those Alpina wheels on your F10 B5 (and the rear spoiler)...
Appreciate 1
addy27388.00
      02-08-2024, 05:30 AM   #17
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Love those Alpina wheels on your F10 B5 (and the rear spoiler)...
I just realized heís also installed the LCI Adaptive LED headlights. This car has has a lot of work done. Looking great!
Appreciate 1
addy27388.00
      02-15-2024, 11:32 PM   #18
addy27
Captain
United_States
388
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Tell me about it.. Iíve done so many mods to this thing and put in more money than I bought it for.. didnít realize it at the time but when I went back to check I realize how much of a money pit this has been.

Honestly canít even list all the mods/updates as Iím sure Iíll miss some.. but itís been good to me thus far post Valve Stem Seal job. Valve cover gaskets are probably needing some TLC so that will be a big project up next.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #19
M_Bimmer
Captain
M_Bimmer's Avatar
581
Rep
828
Posts

Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Left Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
I have a 2016 LCI with the chrome side markers. They look hilariously bad as-is. I don't want to just wrap them, I'd rather they be functional.....
Honestly the F10's fender chrome piece, functional on the pre-LCI, or non-functional on the LCI, looks a LOT better than the equivalent chrome trim on the F01/F02 shown as shown below

It's non-functional on the F02 LCI and it spans both the fender and door...yuck!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 02-17-2024 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2024, 06:23 AM   #20
Blue Angel
Major
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
996
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Honestly the F10's fender chrome piece functional on the pre-LCI or non-functional on the LCI looks a LOT better than the equivalent chrome trim on the F01/F02 shown as shown below

It's non-functional on the F02 LCI and it spans both the fender and door...yuck!
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST