2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 535d intake manifold removal basics

09-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

535d intake manifold removal basics

so had a coolant connector crack for the upper radiator hose. unfortunately the top of three bolts is under the edge of the intake manifold. looked online and hardly any information on N57 intake manifold removal for US models. sorry I didn't take a lot of pics but if you have basic mechanical knowledge just know it's easy and you can do it.

speciality tools worth mentioning are torx and E-torx(female version of torx) also the usual 10mm, 13mm, 8mm, and flat head screw driver plus extensions etc.

basic rundown, pull battery positive off to remove power from system/cables. pull engine cover. pull intake filter, filter housing, remove 8mm from front intake pipe and remove to give room to work. pull mad plug, unscrew intake clamp on pass side and bolt on driver's side then remove top intake tubing/housing.

now you have access to all the meat of the engine. I litterly started at the rear of the manifold and worked forward. I'm new to bmw diesels so can't tell you what sensors are exactly what but there's a few hoses and wires clipped in the back I pulled loose. pulled the alternator wire out of its clips. sensor with small vacuum lines at the back has a push tab to release so it'll slide down and out(leave connected to wiring just off manifold). unplug sensor behind dip stick. unbolt dipstick retainer, unplug oil sensor and start prying loose the wire clips that hold it to the manifold and push them out your way as you work towards the throttle body/asv area.

there's a plug off the side of the alternator I removed to leave more room, also unplugged ASV, egr, etc and removed the three 10mm bolts holding the egr 90 tube from Intake manifold as well as the three torx holding the other side of it to the charge pipe. now pull the two 10mm holding the egr valve in and remove that section of pipe. then pull the intake manifold bolts. they are all 10mm and just like the ones near the asv and egr are captured in the manifold so won't come out all the way. now lift out and finagle it past the alternator wire and out the engine bay. as you can see while I had this out I degreased the entire egr valve, manifold and 90 pipe. going to be deleted soon but mind as well get a head start on removing sooty crap. definitely won't hurt. this is with 68k miles by the way....also why egr systems suck. when I do the swirl flap delete I'll try to detail it better with pics and show a full delete in detail best I can. hope this provides a little insight to other. all in all it was quite simple and I had it out in approx 1hr start to finish with zero experience on this drivetrain.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Appreciate 0