2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Asian F10-523i - Media Options

06-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
vngooi
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Asian F10-523i - Media Options

Hi All,

Can I inquire from the "knowbies" here on whether are there any 3rd party options to upgrade current "CD" only to "DVD" and "GPS" for 523i? Some talk out there that there is a gadget called the "BMW media-box" that sits in the glove compartment that can then bring onboard GPS, DVD-playback and even front/rear camera onto the display.

Thanks in advance. Any views?

Last edited by vngooi; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
vngooi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vngooi View Post
Hi All,

Can I inquire from the "knowbies" here on whether are there any 3rd party options to upgrade current "CD" only to "DVD" and "GPS" for 523i? Some talk out there that there is a gadget called the "BMW media-box" that sits in the glove compartment that can then bring onboard GPS, DVD-playback and even front/rear camera onto the display.

Thanks in advance. Any views?
Bumpz!!!! Anybody??? Anybody???
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
I have 2 kids and I think the entertainment option is just plain ridiculous considering the pricing in Asia. It doesn't quite blend with the car so it looked like an aftermarket set anyway, and for that price in the aftermarket, you can get way way better entertainment setup.

All in all, I have an Alphard which is loaded with built-in entertainment setup and those, unfortunately, looked and works much nicer that the BMW ones.....

Ouch, can't believe I am saying Toyota has something better than the BMWs.....

PS. I do have an 550i F10 on order so I am not purposely trashing it.....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
vngooi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
I have 2 kids and I think the entertainment option is just plain ridiculous considering the pricing in Asia. It doesn't quite blend with the car so it looked like an aftermarket set anyway, and for that price in the aftermarket, you can get way way better entertainment setup.

All in all, I have an Alphard which is loaded with built-in entertainment setup and those, unfortunately, looked and works much nicer that the BMW ones.....

Ouch, can't believe I am saying Toyota has something better than the BMWs.....

PS. I do have an 550i F10 on order so I am not purposely trashing it.....
Hi mlai,
Yes, the OEM cost for entertainment is prohibitive - hence, that's why am asking around for alternatives. There is a box that can be placed apparently in the glove - allows connectivity for GPS, front/rear cameras, DVD playback = all through the I-drive - so if this is real - it would be great...but no one has responded to confirm/deny on this "urban legend" as yet...
Appreciate 0