2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain malfunction only on incline

06-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
vtataru
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Drivetrain malfunction only on incline

Hello. I am experiencing drivetrain malfunction warning with reduced power when I accelerate on an incline, like going over a bridge. had the warning before and there was a leak on the turbo air inlet. the plastic was cracked. I changed it and had no problems for about 6 months. now it just starting to give that warning again, but only on an incline road. when i restart it goes away and I can drive for days with no warning(its pretty flat where I live). anyone has any suggestions before i pay $150 for an inspection at the dealer? any help/suggestion will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
Psychengineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I have this warning on both my '08 535i and my '11 535i xDrive, one is a waste gate fault and the other a boost over-pressurization, respectively. Both occur either passing (not full throttle but heavy load) or going up an onramp. I haven't had much luck on the forums on this (assuming you've checked your boost hoses), but I would put a plug in for taking it to the dealership. I have always been opposed to "stealerships" for good reason, but I have to say since I purchased my first BMW in 2018 in Fresno, and then another here in Ann Arbor, I've actually saved money in the long run by paying for them to do the diagnostic and then changing the parts myself. Just a thought.

That being said, I'm going to reset my MAF adaptations with the Bimmer-Tool this week and if that doesn't work, I'm going to bring mine in and pay the diagnostic, so I'll update when I find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
vtataru
Private
Rep

I keep getting drivetrain malfunction daily. i get 120308 intermittent fault code, charge-airpressure control, plausability pressure too low. i remove the engine cover and there was oil in the vacuum reservoir. can anyobody advise if it's a faulty vacuum pump or solenoid or wastegate? looked it up online and I can't get a def answer. thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
chipguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtataru View Post
I keep getting drivetrain malfunction daily. i get 120308 intermittent fault code, charge-airpressure control, plausability pressure too low. i remove the engine cover and there was oil in the vacuum reservoir. can anyobody advise if it's a faulty vacuum pump or solenoid or wastegate? looked it up online and I can't get a def answer. thank you
Oil in vacuum reservoir is because the vacuum pump is leaking oil. You need to get it replaced.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
vtataru
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipguy View Post
Oil in vacuum reservoir is because the vacuum pump is leaking oil. You need to get it replaced.
Thank you. I've seen different vacuum pumps online and the prices are form $70 all the way to $600. did anyone tried the cheaper ones?
Appreciate 0