2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum H&R Springs with 2011 528i standard suspension (non sport/non anything else)

06-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528

H&R Springs with 2011 528i standard suspension (non sport/non anything else)

Springs with 2011 528i standard suspension (non sport/non anything else)

I'm looking for feedback on ride feel with any springs but preferably H&R on regular standard suspension on 2011 528i. I've searched this entire forum with no real direct answer.

Thanks
Sam

Last edited by CLKFAN; 06-25-2015 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Crickets : )
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Which H&R speings are you considering?
H&R OE Sport springs will give you a slightly firmer ride with a 1 inch drop.
H&R Sport springs will give you a much firmer ride with a 1.4" drop.
ACS springs are very highly regarded and similar to the H&R OE Sport spring in terms of drop and provide a very smooth ride.
Any of these will help reduce the floatiness of the standard suspension. But of course your dampers will no longer match the springs, so it's not like putting a true sport suspension on the car. If you want a true sport suspension, replace your springs and dampers with aftermarket coilovers like those offered by KW, Megan Racing, BC, etc.
      06-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

But if He went with some aftermarket shocks it would ride better! Shoot for that much money u might as well go coilovers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
But if He went with some aftermarket shocks it would ride better! Shoot for that much money u might as well go coilovers
Huh?
      06-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Huh?
Aftermarket shocks! Bilstein, koni... whoever makes shocks for our cars LOL! I've read threads about guys who put H&R, Eibachs, ACS springs and after a few years their shocks are leaking. Instead of going OEM shocks they upgrade to aftermarket shocks and than noticed a better improvement in ride characteristics.

I did the same on my Integra when I went with some coilover sleeves and ended up blowing those shocks out after a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #7
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which H&R speings are you considering?
H&R OE Sport springs will give you a slightly firmer ride with a 1 inch drop.
H&R Sport springs will give you a much firmer ride with a 1.4" drop.
ACS springs are very highly regarded and similar to the H&R OE Sport spring in terms of drop and provide a very smooth ride.
Any of these will help reduce the floatiness of the standard suspension. But of course your dampers will no longer match the springs, so it's not like putting a true sport suspension on the car. If you want a true sport suspension, replace your springs and dampers with aftermarket coilovers like those offered by KW, Megan Racing, BC, etc.

Thanks for the insight. I'm a fan of coilovers and have used them numerous times with many cars I've owned and modded so I know the benefits.

My thread was just to find out first hand from anyone on this forum who has the set up that I'm speaking of (standard with springs) that can give me direct feedback before I pull the trigger-on some H&R sports from a forum member here. I've searched hard and the only feedback I read of is from people who have adjustable suspension or 550's with standard suspension. I have a 528 with standard and not adjustable or sport modes. The deal is really cheap and I can have them installed for nothing as well so the cheap factor is outweighing the extra $1K-2K for coilovers since I've spent a chunk on Alpina stuff.

If anyone who is riding this exact set up can reply with direct feedback I would appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #8
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Aftermarket shocks! Bilstein, koni... whoever makes shocks for our cars LOL!
Yeah, of course, but your post seemed like you were disagreeing with what I said, then repeating what I said. LOL.
      06-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #9
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post
Thanks for the insight. I'm a fan of coilovers and have used them numerous times with many cars I've owned and modded so I know the benefits.

My thread was just to find out first hand from anyone on this forum who has the set up that I'm speaking of (standard with springs) that can give me direct feedback before I pull the trigger-on some H&R sports from a forum member here. I've searched hard and the only feedback I read of is from people who have adjustable suspension or 550's with standard suspension. I have a 528 with standard and not adjustable or sport modes. The deal is really cheap and I can have them installed for nothing as well so the cheap factor is outweighing the extra $1K-2K for coilovers since I've spent a chunk on Alpina stuff.

If anyone who is riding this exact set up can reply with direct feedback I would appreciate it
Lots of opinions in this thread for both Sport and non-sport suspension owners.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=646197&page=1
      06-29-2015, 12:52 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, of course, but your post seemed like you were disagreeing with what I said, then repeating what I said. LOL.
Oh no LOL!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lots of opinions in this thread for both Sport and non-sport suspension owners.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=646197&page=1
Thanks for this link but I've read that one (and many more) all the way through start to finish and no one on there has standard suspension. Everyone on H&R's that are happy have a way to adjust their set up and I don't. It seems that if I can't adjust anything that I may just have to move onto what I know best and just go with coilovers for this car or have fun with the H&R's till I get my Q3 bonus from work for coilovers or no springs and just wait till then for coilovers.

Priorities are tough when trying to do everything at once when modding.

I kind of don't even like this car much either after driving it now for 3 weeks. I still haven't installed my 21" Alpina's or the Alpina spoiler or the trunk spoiler so I may have a chance to sell off the parts and move onto another satisfying car. Only reason why I bought it is because I like the way the F10 Alpina B5 looks but always thought I could make it look better with the 21" Alpina wheels instead of those smaller 20" Alpina's they come with that look a bit off. I saw a forum member here with the 21's but he was missing a spoiler (Alpina or not) to set it off better or compliment them.

I have a lot to think about.

Last edited by CLKFAN; 06-29-2015 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post
Thanks for this link but I've read that one (and many more) all the way through start to finish and no one on there has standard suspension. Everyone on H&R's that are happy have a way to adjust their set up and I don't. It seems that if I can't adjust anything that I may just have to move onto what I know best and just go with coilovers for this car or have fun with the H&R's till I get my Q3 bonus from work for coilovers or no springs and just wait till then for coilovers.

Priorities are tough when trying to do everything at once when modding.

I kind of don't even like this car much either after driving it now for 3 weeks. I still haven't installed my 21" Alpina's or the Alpina spoiler or the trunk spoiler so I may have a chance to sell off the parts and move onto another satisfying car. Only reason why I bought it is because I like the way the F10 Alpina B5 looks but always thought I could make it look better with the 21" Alpina wheels instead of those smaller 20" Alpina's they come with that look a bit off. I saw a forum member here with the 21's but he was missing a spoiler (Alpina or not) to set it off better or compliment them.

I have a lot to think about.
The guys who have xDrives have the standard suspension unless they have DHP.
XDrives don't get the sport suspension.
I'm assuming you have a rwd car because no one makes coilovers for xDrive F10's.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The guys who have xDrives have the standard suspension unless they have DHP.
XDrives don't get the sport suspension.
I'm assuming you have a rwd car because no one makes coilovers for xDrive F10's.
Yes rear wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

I have the same problem as you do, I have a 535I Xdrive without DHP and I am clueless about if putting H&R spring will give a good ride or be just too bouncy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
I have the same problem as you do, I have a 535I Xdrive without DHP and I am clueless about if putting H&R spring will give a good ride or be just too bouncy.
I spoke to a rep at Mod B and he told me Eibach will be the best spring. He's installed both on plenty of cars and he knows first hand which springs behave better to most people and not someone who's biased and already has H&R. He did mention that if you have a better dampening system H&R will behave better though but not like Eibach with standard suspension or in general.

I wish I could ride in someone's car local to SoCal with H&R and standard suspension to make a final decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Unfortunately since I have a xdrive only H&R or ACS springs are available. I have used Eibach in the past with good success but it is different for every car / shock setup...

Probably in my case ACS would be better but they are close to twice the price also and the drop is a bit less.
Appreciate 0