2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Should I pay BMW to open up Engine or cut my losses and find another engine?

09-15-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
houseandtechno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 528i

Unhappy Should I pay BMW to open up Engine or cut my losses and find another engine?

I need the communities input on what I should do with my inoperable F10.

My 2015 528i (N20) engine suddenly stopped working on the road and wouldn't start. I was at a stoplight with no crazy noises prior, no engine light. My car has been taken care of and done all the oil changes. I drive like a grandma. It has 87,800 miles on it.

Towed to my Indy Mechanic and crank shaft wouldn't turn when they tried. Now its at BMW.

The service advisor called me today and said that for the $190/hr worth of work that I paid for, the tech found metal shavings and said it could be a failed "bolt". He could not give me a definite answer or reason for the engine failure.

He was trying to download the pictures that the technician took, but it couldn't load over the phone. He said that for around $600, they can open the top valve without putting it back together but recommend I might want to start looking at other cars. He said he would work with the manager to see if theres anything else they might be able to help me with.

Now keep in mind. There is an on going class action lawsuit for the N20 motors with the timing chain guides breaking and causing catastrophic failure along with the oil pumps failing prematurely. There was a an extended 70k 7 years warranty on these vehicles, but the newest lawsuit solution this past at this September 2 hear to was push to warranty extension to 100k miles and BMW reimbursing costs for timing chain, and failures.

My train of thought is that I want know what the hell happened with my 87K mile engine that is now shot. I also think it might be smart to have them open it so in case the issue is in fact a failed guide, chain and or oil pump, I am able to participate in the claim by having evidence.

Do you think its worth it to have them open it up so I have the chance to get a better idea of the failure, possibly see that it can be repaired and have a chance at the class action lawsuit ?

Or should I start thinking about taking the loss, swapping out for another N20 engine, and selling the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

I'd have an indy open it up and see. At least it'll be a lot cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Do you have records of consistent oil changes?

Did you use auto start stop?

If your car was produced before Feb 2015 you are automatically part of the 70K miles extended warranty if this was indeed timing guide related.

You should push the SA manager for assistance and/or contact BMW NA as well on the diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
houseandtechno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 528i

So if I did get indy to open it up. Would I have to get a BMW inspector to come to the indy shop to take photos and see the evidence/documentation ?

Part of me wanting to investigate this failure is to gather evidence. If it is the timing chain and bearings, I can make a claim on the class action lawsuit. They proposed lawsuit is trying to finalize 100K miles and 8 years warranty on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
Knighrider949
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Did you ever find out what is was?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighrider949 View Post
Did you ever find out what is was?
OP hasn't been here since 10/20; doubt you'll get a reply. You could PM him.
Appreciate 0