2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications The "Drivetrain Malfunction" Issue

02-17-2024, 09:11 AM   #1
Dlucke17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i, X5, 240sx

Angry The "Drivetrain Malfunction" Issue

Ok fam,

I've had this 2011 550i for a little over a month now and have been fighting this malfunction since. I've read thousands of posts (with thousands of different resolutions), I've done my own troubleshooting, I've taken it to BMW.... Could use another set of eyes....

ISSUE:

Like half of the threads I have read, the car starts every time and runs perfectly (I assume as new owner, but no mechanical issues) until the multitude of lights come on. There seems to be NO rhyme or reason. I thought at first that it could be a lack of fluid b/c it was usually happening when the car would get into 7th or 8th gear, but that is no longer the case. Sometimes at low speeds, could be cornering, a bump, I sneeze, hell, anything!

Usually, the car is still driveable only feeling a difference in steering stiffness and a slight lack in power. Sometimes the car falls into limp mode and I have to stop, kill the car, restart, and all is fine (until the next bump).

NOTES:

I bought the car knowing it was a rebuilt title and knew that the rear brakes and sensor needed to be changed, headlights were shot, needed a new battery, and the owner said one of the injectors may need to be replaced soon. I fixed all of those issues except for the injector b/c I have not seen any codes or driveability issues showing there is a problem. The car has, had, DCS, ICM and all of the no longer working suspension parts, which I have coded out (I think... Even unplugged the DCS module, pass footwell area).

TROUBLESHOOTING:

- I started with the rear brakes and that sensor
- I have replaced the right/rear sensor 3 times now and ALL sensors just to be safe. Right/rear seems to be the reoccurring DTC
- I have replaced the connector female clips that hold the ABS and brake sensors (both clips were broken)
- I have installed ECS coilovers (a whole another shit-storm of comments with that crap) and followed the DCS de-coding process
- I have tried to update ALL modules with latest software (BMW dealer also did this)
- I've cleaned the MAFs
- I've checked all plugs under the hood and installed the ARM intakes
- I've changed the oil and tranny fluid with new pan. Checked fluid like 6 times
- When I took the car to BMW for Diag, they cleared all codes and memory and the only thing that flashed back up was the right/rear ABS sensor. BUT, after clearing again and test driving they could NOT reproduce the code. FYI, the codes popped up for me once I got to the first light leaving the dealership.... UGH

UNRELATED (I think):

- I also have been fighting with a possible break in the fiber optics cable when installing Carplay, which is throwing the "No Message Tones" alert with intermittent sounds.
- I most likely have a heater core issue (slowly losing coolant but no visible leaks. No heater. Slight smell in the cockpit that I cannot id)
- I am 1000% sure I have jacked something up while coding with the below. NOT new to cars - VERY new to the coding side of things

I am hoping that the codes below offers some sort of light bulb for someone else who has seen these issues. I've read that it could be the ABS module, IVM (not even sure the 550 has one of those) issue, fluid issues, MAF issues, injectors, coils/plugs, sensors, WTTTTTHHHHHH???

This is the software I have been using:

BU: MAPPING: 4.45.22 VER: 1.0.66
E-SYS: 3.40.2
PSdZData: 4.45.30 FULL

HERE are the current DTCs:

ICM_QL - INTEGRATED CHASSIS MANAGEMENT
---------------------------------------
D02D02: Unknown fault details
D02D03: Unknown fault details
D02D04: Unknown fault details
D02D05: Unknown fault details
D018E8: No message (RDC tire, 280.0.8), receiver ICM, transmitter RDC
D0157A: Signal (drive 4 wheel torque 40.3.4) invalid, transmitter DME / DDE

ZGW - CENTRAL GATEWAY MODULE
CD040B: ZGM, K-CAN: line fault
CD0429: ZGM, FlexRay: line fault on path 5
CD042B: ZGM, FlexRay: line fault on path 6
801C20: ZGM: central fault memory full - no control-module fault

DME - DIGITAL MOTOR ELECTRONICS
CDAB04: No message (reverse gear, 0x3B0), receiver DME/DDE, transmitter FRM
1BD608: Vehicle speed, wheel RPM sensor rear/right, electrical: Malfunction
1D3B01: Electronic gearbox control (EGS), signal evaluation (gear information): Invalid signal content

DSC - DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL
4809C1: EMF: Brake cannot be mechanically applied
4809C3: Wheel speed, plausibility, rear right
D3557A: Signal (wheel torque, powertrain 4, 40.3.4) invalid, transmitter DME/DDE / EGS

EMF - PARKING BRAKE
480512: EMF: Wheel RPM signal invalid
D3957A: Signal (powertrain 4 wheel torque, 0xDC) invalid, transmitter DME / DDE
D3AC8D: Signal (hydraulic function status, 0x25D) invalid, transmitter DSC

FRM - FOOTWELL MODULE
800FC3: Initialization fault in the left headlight positioning module
800FC2: Initialization fault in the right headlight positioning module
E5850F: Message (data, drivetrain 2, 0x3F9) incorrect, receiver FRM, transmitter DME/DDE

TRSVC - ALL-ROUND VISION CAMERA
CA840B: TRSVC: K-CAN, line fault
CA8414: TRSVC: K-CAN, communication fault
CAAC0A: Signal (drivetrain 2 data, 0x3F9) invalid, transmitter DME / DDE

EGS - ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL
421474: Output RPM and wheel RPM: Impermissible deviation
420611: DSC interface (wheel RPM): unpermitted deviatino of the wheel speed (the target RPM Wheel Rear Left/Front Left/Rear Right/Front Right, 0x254) of the output RPM and turbocharger RPM

HU_CIC - CAR INFORMATION COMPUTER
E1CC09: Failure of front display screen
E1C447: Unknown fault details

HUD - HEAD-UP DISPLAY
800183: HUD: temperature sensor LEDs faulty
8001A1: HUD: overtemperature at LEDs detected

AMPT - TOP HIFI AMPLIFIER
B7F4BC: AMPT: No RAD_ON signal even though the engine is running

CAS - CAR ACCESS SYSTEM
D91420: Unknown fault details

IHKA - INTEGRATED AUTOMATIC HEATING/AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM
E71429: Signal (data, AUC sensor, 0x2D0) invalid, transmitter JBE

JBBF - JUNCTION BOX ELECTRONICS
C90D74: AUC sensor: does not respond

PDC - PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
E21709: Signal (powertrain gear selection status, 0x3F9) invalid, transmitter DME / DDE

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0