2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BM3 Flexfuel Install

12-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

BM3 Flexfuel Install

Sorry folks, don't have any pictures of install for now. But some notes I figured I'd share regarding BM3's flexfuel module install. Overall, you can tell the folks over at PTF did not have a 5 series or higher vehicle to test/develop with, and this was developed with a 1/2/3/4 series in mind.

1. Due to the location of our fuel pump module, the stock wiring that goes to the actual ethanol sensor is too short. You'll either need to source an extension, contact BM3 for an extension, or just extend it yourself. It's 3 wires, nothing too dramatic or difficult to extend yourself.

2. It is TIGHT. You really need to fight with the module to get it to fit. I'll explain my theory why. On the 3 series (here, a F80), there's only one plug and the outlet to worry about. You still have the housings for the dummy plugs (for dual pump setups IIRC), but there's no actual plug that takes up room:

Compare this to the F10 and higher LPFP hat:

As you can see, there are two plugs, a dummy plug, a module, and the fuel hose outlet itself. It's FAR more cramped, and this brings us to the next problem: the design of the BM3 flexfuel housing itself. I'm not sure what the design philosophy here was, but it was definitely not...great. First, they seem to use two feeds for whatever reason. Unless I'm wrong about how the flow works, it doesn't make sense, since they're still only feeding one outlet. How I think the flow works on BM3:

(Ignore the infinite loop: they ship the feed snapped onto the outlet. Blue is in, red is out and connects to the OEM fuel line)

The main problem is the U shape at the end of the housing: it makes it so that it's really hard to fit the housing anywhere, can't slide it into the cavity between the tank and body, etc, because it's now so damn tall. Not normally a problem on the F30 since their tank lid has the wiring entry offset to the side:

F10 has is smack dab in the middle:

I was barely able to fit the module and it took a TON of faffing about. Super annoying, makes me wonder if it's possible to buy a F30 lid and just use that on the F10. For a 2.0 housing, I really hope they move the outlet pointing up but coming out from the side instead, rather than making a seemingly needless U bend. I'm not sure why BM3's ethanol analyzer is so much more complex than MHD's. For comparison, this is MHD's:

It's TINY compared to the BM3 one.

/rant. Yea, an easy install mechanically (only tool you need is a 10mm), but a very hard install packaging wise. The flexibility of being able to just dump in 93 when on a roadtrip and then switch back to E30 when home and not need to worry about map switching is, in my opinion, worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0