2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum iDrive controls cleaning

11-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

iDrive controls cleaning

Manual F10 has a cup holder in a bit of an unusual spot, right between iDrive controls and storage compartment between the front seats. It also has a little clip that pops up to hold the cup securely in place. Somewhat awkward design and a bit cheap looking thing for this type of the car, but, it is what it is.

Let's say a person had a teenage daughter (uhm.... asking for a friend here... maybe) that doesn't follow instructions well, and she places her ice tea (mostly sugar as we all know) in this holder, but fails to raise the small clip to secure the cup.

So the cup just happened to go forward and spilled some (not a lot) of it's contents over the iDrive controls and parking sensor switch (luckily not on handbrake or DHP switch).

Initial reaction aside fast forward past the shock and anger... lol and I am now... I mean... friend of mine is looking for ideas on how to clean the underside of these buttons. They are now a bit sticky underneath, operational, but sticky.

Can't really think of any way other than replacing the whole thing, but thought I would throw it out there to those of you more experienced?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I think your friends teenager daughter needs to either put in prison or possibly shot at dawn!!!!!

I would take off the console top and remove the iDrive controller and switch panel. Then I would spay some electrical contact cleaner on the sugary parts. Electrical cleaner should also be safe for plastics. You could also try IPA; I would get as close to 100% as you can.

My once a teenager daughter (now 28) is getting married in June. I'll miss her!!

Way back when we bought a brand spanking new 1996 Mercury Sable. The salesman had plied our kids with soda and my daughter's choice was orange. After the hours of negotiating (pre-internet) and kids running around it was finally time for us to drive home in our new car. I strapped my almost-6 year old daughter in her booster seat and she proceeded to barf all over her clothes, the booster seat and the cloth portion of the rear seat (it was a cloth/leather combo). What could I do?? She's my little girl!
Appreciate 3
Bbb34730.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

how are you keeping your composure? like ezaircon4jc said I would remove the center console and clean it up before it starts causing issues down the road and the friend is no longer allowed in the car
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      11-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

I was joking about "asking for a friend" and yeah, initial reaction was a bit of anger, but bottom line, I like her more than I like the car, sh... happens, what can you do. I might've threatened about cost of new iDrive controls being "out of pocket" for her, but at the end of the day, it was an accident, as careless as teenagers can be, these things happen.

Good idea about electrical contact cleaner, thanks, though I am not looking forward to taking the whole console apart. I just tend to freak out about work "this delicate" and definitively would hate breaking anything.

As for kids and cars, well this one has been somewhat spared of all the nasty stuff as they are a bit older now, but my previous two have seen it all, and I do mean all. My wife still allows them to make a bit more mess in her car than I do in mine, but that's more due to her a bit more "relaxed" personality.

That said, at the end of the day, it's only a car, things will get cleaned/fixed, replaced.

She's getting her driver's license soon, and, imagine how cool will it be to be able to drive RWD manual as a new driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
She's getting her driver's license soon, and, imagine how cool will it be to be able to drive RWD manual as a new driver.
When I taught my daughter I taught her to be a driver and not an operator. And, as operators here can't seem to make a decision, I taught her to make decisions for the other cars. Sometimes that is speeding up (mostly ) or slowing down. Operators here have no idea on how to merge! I also took her to an empty parking lot (the local high screwel on a weekend) in the rain and let her practice correcting a skid (no FWD appliances for my kids!!!!). That was fun!

A RWD manual??!?!?!? You're a GREAT Dad!! She'll be the envy of the ricer boys at school!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #6
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Good idea about electrical contact cleaner, thanks, though I am not looking forward to taking the whole console apart. I just tend to freak out about work "this delicate" and definitively would hate breaking anything.
It is actually very easy. Just take your time, use soft rags to avoid scratching anything, and make sure the wires are back in when finishing. I didn't, and crunched one wire that necessitated the removal and reinstallation. There are a couple of good videos out there on the job....just google F10 center console removal
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
It is actually very easy. Just take your time, use soft rags to avoid scratching anything, and make sure the wires are back in when finishing. I didn't, and crunched one wire that necessitated the removal and reinstallation. There are a couple of good videos out there on the job....just google F10 center console removal
Battery disconnecting before is mandatory or is this overkill for the job ?

I mean it doesn't cost anything to do it, just thought I'd check.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
When I taught my daughter I taught her to be a driver and not an operator. And, as operators here can't seem to make a decision, I taught her to make decisions for the other cars. Sometimes that is speeding up (mostly ) or slowing down. Operators here have no idea on how to merge! I also took her to an empty parking lot (the local high screwel on a weekend) in the rain and let her practice correcting a skid (no FWD appliances for my kids!!!!). That was fun!

A RWD manual??!?!?!? You're a GREAT Dad!! She'll be the envy of the ricer boys at school!!

Ha ha, thanks... uh... I think.

My (imaginary) story for the boys is "treat her with respect, or... you know.... I don't mind going back in... once again".
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha, thanks... uh... I think.

My (imaginary) story for the boys is "treat her with respect, or... you know.... I don't mind going back in... once again".
We have a desert near here called Borrego Springs. I told my daughters first date (now fiancée) when he picked her up for the first date when I meet him...

I have a gun and a shovel; Borrego isn't that far away and I'm NOT afraid to go back to prison! He thought I was serious!!

I do have an application to date my daughter, if you're interested. One of my favorite questions is "what does NO mean." Then there's something like "Where would least like to get shot." The thing is a gem!
Appreciate 0