2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BMW M550d Fuel consumption

08-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
patch
Rep
Drives: M550D xDrive

BMW M550d Fuel consumption

Hi! I've been searching around for how economical can people get the m550d to be. Some people say that in Eco Pro they can get really low consumptions.

Others say that in Comfort they also get very good combined consumption, around 9.5L/100km. That's where our problem starts, more than one person says they have quite acceptable consumptions.

Also take a look at this graph I got from another website

Our problem is that even at 40km/h, just barely tapping the throttle, gaining speed slower than a 1.0 fiesta, the gauge maxes out the consumption (which is 20L/100km), and it's basically like that up to 70km/h more or less, then it can lower to the 15L/100km..still too much.
At 100km/h we can, luckily, achieve around 8.0L/100km consumption (highway driving), but anything over that, even 120km/h, will get us an absurd average.
My father drives slowly daily, around 40-50, our average is currently around 10.5 or 11 L/100km. That's a lot..way too much.

According to the graph I posted, and to some people's experiences, and to the page I got the graph from, maintaining 180km/h, flat road, should be well under 10L/100km.
Well..once we tried, highway driving, maintaining 180km/h without cruise control, because cruise control consumes more, and the gauge was maxed out at 20L/100km. That's insane!!

All that was in comfort. Eco pro's consumptions are practically the same, and the car feels much more sluggish. We can gain perhaps 15km or less per tank if driven always in eco pro.

I also notice other things.... During reserve fuel usage, for each..let's say..3km you drive, the range decreases in 10km.

Also, watching this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpwOQD4XOGk for fuel consumption observation (not for speed, he didn't drive properly and the car is much faster than that), you can notice that his average is lower than ours and I bet that wasn't his only time going flatout. The video cuts at a certain part, they added a smooth transition though, and then the average there is even lower than at the beginning.

Also, his tank is not full, however he has the same range as we get when we have 100% full tank, and if I remember correctly, I've seen our full tank with a bit less range...

So what could be wrong with our car (not 1 year old yet).

We'd be happy if we could have an average such as 9.5L/100km, that's what we were expecting.
sorry for the long text, feel free to toss out ideas!
      08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

20 L/100km @ 180 km/h is definitely a problem, try measuring REAL consumption at the pump, not onboard electronics. Maybe they are poorly calibrated.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
patch
Rep
Drives: M550D xDrive

How could we do that?
      10-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Fill the tank, reset the trip computer, run until empty. Then fill again, and record miles per tank.

Plug the data in here : www.Fuelly.com and get your ACTUAL consumption figures.

Appreciate 0