2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Fuel pump issues

06-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
NYC535iowner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

Fuel pump issues

before the story here is my car info:
2013 535i xdrive with only 63,460 miles on it. modifications JB4/ catless downpipe.

So the other day I was driving to work and about to get off the highway I felt the car kind of shocking and the "drivetrain malfunction" message came up.
the car wanted to stall, i'll give it gas and it was hardly moving. I pulled over turn the car off and on so the message went away but it was driving like crap. I was driving slow at 2500 RPM and I can see the gauge showing me at 10 like if I was pushing the gas pedal to the floor.

That afternoon after work I took it to my mechanic and he tells me that high pressure fuel pump that is at the motor is giving him a code and that is bad. I will need to replace it.

anyways the car is at the shop now and I wanted to know if anyone else had this happen to them.

I was wondering has this ever happened to anyone else?

Last edited by NYC535iowner; 06-29-2020 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
Trainwreck914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

That's a big OR...find another mechanic. The fuel pump he is referring to is the high pressure fuel pump. Hence the high pressure. That is normal. And if he didn't know that...well then I think it's time for a new mechanic. Only way we can help is if you post the codes you're getting.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
BurrNinja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

Garage List
Only thing that would make sense is if fuel filter was clogged causing a higher pressure. What kind of gas do you run? I've had an instance where I filled up one time and out of the blue my car died just at a red light. Started back up fine. Perhaps a unlucky situation on my end it was raining when I filled up. Hasn't happened again but that same gas station they tore down a year later? so idk. Haven't used it since that happened before the tear down.
Appreciate 0