2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Heated Steering wheel DIY

01-14-2024, 07:09 AM   #45
ooGQoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series F11

This is what the back of my SZL looks like and what power I have at what pins (engine running).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:31 PM   #46
ooGQoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Let's check to see if you have power to the SZL and the heating steering wheel switch...all you need is a trim tool and pop off the top plastic cover to your steering column, and then the lower half can be removed.

If you take a picture of the lower bottom rear of the SZL, and post, we can determine your next step.
Good evening, I’m not sure if you’ve seen the pic’s I’ve posted? Does that show what I would need to do or purchase please?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:11 PM   #47
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooGQoo View Post
Update with pics

Good afternoon, I’m just with my car now (first chance I’ve had to take a look) attached are the pictures of my steering wheel bethind my air bag.

From what you can see there, does this show having heating? There’s no vibrio motor at the bottom so I know it doesn’t have that.

Thank you
The steering wheel assembly does not look like it has the heating wiring harness on the right side of the steering wheel, nor does your SZL (clock spring) have the pins to support the heated steering wheel feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 01:27 PM   #48
gchroniger4
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90, f10

I just finished this yesterday in my F10. I can walk you through it if you would like the assistance. The info here is great but a few pieces are vague and that's where I can come in. However you need a new clockspring/SZL for sure. Almost anyone will work that has the pins in the front connector where the heated steering control module plugs in. I bought a random part# (That said was F10 compatible) that in appearance was the same as mine and did not include the auto high beam button. You also will need to run two wires for power and ground. And of course you need a heated wheel with the control module specific for your features (Without Lane keep assist) and the On/off button. Once you have done this before can be a 30 minute job. But obviously first time may take an hour or more. Message me if you would like any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:03 AM   #49
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooGQoo View Post
Good evening, I’m not sure if you’ve seen the pic’s I’ve posted? Does that show what I would need to do or purchase please?

Thank you

It Does not have heat. The heating element from the factory is white, and it will protrude northward from the center leg at the 6 o'clock position with a back wire that sits on the correct channel at the 6 o'clock position.

For this to work, you must get a module that supports heating or heating and vibe. You also need power from the JBE to the clock spring. The middle harness on your lock spring must be populated on pins 8 and 11. I do not see the cables for power on your pictures.

I finally finished this project and learned quite a bit from it. but geez i wish i had a coach here where i live in Germany that could guide me through it. let me know if you need more help.
Appreciate 0