2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 11 F10 Blue smoke. Detailed thread

07-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
beng2k
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i 6Spd

11 F10 Blue smoke. Detailed thread

So, I changed from stock non sport exhaust to catless downpipes and m5/6 exhaust. This made an unnoticed problem suddenly show up.

It Does NOT smoke at cold start up. MAYBE a hint but for all intents and purposes it’s nothing and idles cold without smoke for a few mins. Once it heats up a bit it start smoking. It’s smoking blue. It’s NOT noticeable when cruising.

I started by checking PCV valves and of course, passenger side corrugated tubing is completely separated. Driver side is ok. So I put some catch cans in the see what is actually coming from the valve covers. Too my surprise after 60 miles or so there was but a few drops of clear fluid.

I removed the PCV Valves and the passenger side rattles and I can see the flap is clearly not working. I verified on both sides that the one way valve going to the manifold does indeed function. I also applied a bag to the oil filler head with the engine running a sufficient vacuum was seen.

I used an endoscope to see into the intercooler piping and the core. I removed the inter coolers as oil was seen in the intercooler piping. Initial thoughts were due to oil ending up in the intake tract. I also removed the intake that bolts to the turbo and found oil there.
I thought great the catch cans could solve this.

Couldn’t be further from the truth.

So I clean out the intercooler and piping with gasoline. First 2 runs were pretty oily but the third ran clean. Clean the compressor outlets and inlets as well.

Went for a rip. Still smoking but not as bad at idle. Still when revving it at idle it’s a good amount of blue. So thinking there might be more residue left behind I seafoamed it right before the turbo. Only used maybe 5/8ths of a can on each side.

Yay lots of smoke later again it’s still a touch better at idle but still when revving at idle she’s a blue smoke machine.

Since everything was clean I took the intercooler piping off again and found oil again. At least this massive smoke isn’t the valve stem seals yet hopefully. But at 225km I know a new engine is due. Back ordered right now i believe.

Anyways I’m now leaning towards turbos. I believe I can safely rule oil oil draw from crankcase entering the system. I’ve read a bit about oil coking in the drain tube which I assume could increase oil pressure and leak by the compressor and into the intercooler/piping?

Anything else I’m might be missing before taking the turbos off?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

The N63 is NOTORIOUS for burning oil. See...

https://www.classactionsreporter.com...action-lawsuit

https://bimmerlife.com/2018/10/20/bm...ption-lawsuit/

https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/up...ption-lawsuit/

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/bmw-n...ble-1705170612

for starters...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
beng2k
Rep

While all great reads I’m not sure how it helps.

The CCP was completed in Jan 2015/6 I believe. I’m aware of the class action lawsuit but a. The mileage is too high and I’d be too late to apply and b. Live in Canada.

I’m trying to find out if I’m on the right track. Im well prepared to buy another engine from bmw when available but I need any other guidance or advice prior to taking off the turbos chasing the leak. I’m well aware I won’t be able to eliminate it but I could stand a puff here and there because of the valve stem seals.

Any suggestion
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
beng2k
Rep

I guess more specifically how else would oil end up end my intercooler piping if I have a catch can installed and working
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beng2k View Post
I guess more specifically how else would oil end up end my intercooler piping if I have a catch can installed and working
Just because it is catching oil doesn't mean it is catching all the oil
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
beng2k
Rep

I will place a plain paper towel into the catch can and see if oil is passing through. It has a filter of sorts on the return port so it wont get sucked through

This is a good point
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
beng2k
Rep

Still no residue in the catch cans or any hoses to and from the catch can. Decided to pull turbos off. Found broken coolant hoses and a huge mess. Will send the turbos off to my buddy for examination and rebuild if necessary.

Oil feed and drain lines are clean. Will replace anyways. Also replacing the oil return cover since I’m down there and commonly leak.

Really it’s not all that hard just a bitch cause everything is dirty. Worst case if this fails I’ll try and order a new engine. Car has 130k mi on it so I’m sure she’s due for a new heart.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

It is your valve seals for sure........

Mines did exactly what you did. I had the full stock exhaust. Then I did the muffler delete and catless downpipes.

The smoke really show their colors, especially after a prolonged idle.

The car was consuming 800-1000 miles per quart.

New turbos were installed in 2016 along with ccp and other goodies.

Changed out the valve seals, the oil separators, the pcv lines, etc. Car runs fantastic, still to this day nearing 120k miles. Not a drop of oil consumption at almost 20k miles since repair was done. I also did the 90c degree thermostat.

This is an alternative to the pricey engine if everything else on the engine is in good order.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #9
Megamon21
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW m5

Hi I’m having the same Smokey situation….I think oil separators also..where are they located ? How much was that repair for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iFreak View Post
It is your valve seals for sure........

Mines did exactly what you did. I had the full stock exhaust. Then I did the muffler delete and catless downpipes.

The smoke really show their colors, especially after a prolonged idle.

The car was consuming 800-1000 miles per quart.

New turbos were installed in 2016 along with ccp and other goodies.

Changed out the valve seals, the oil separators, the pcv lines, etc. Car runs fantastic, still to this day nearing 120k miles. Not a drop of oil consumption at almost 20k miles since repair was done. I also did the 90c degree thermostat.

This is an alternative to the pricey engine if everything else on the engine is in good order.
Appreciate 0