2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Transmission fluid f10 replace or flush?

07-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

Transmission fluid f10 replace or flush?

Do you have an opinion in favor or against flushing lifetime transmission oil?

I am not asking if change "lifetime" transmission oil is recommended, if you research it, you will find out that there are overwhelming recommendations it must be changed , I am wondering if there is any risk to the transmission if flushing as BMW was determined to have it sealed to its early demise.

If flushing is not recommended, what about draining without removing the pan and refill with a cheaper transmission fluid and run the car for a week so the old fluid mixes with the new and then replace the sump, gaskets and fill with the BMW fluid?

Apparently when changing only part of the fluid is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerroad View Post
Do you have an opinion in favor or against flushing lifetime transmission oil?

I am not asking if change "lifetime" transmission oil is recommended, if you research it, you will find out that there are overwhelming recommendations it must be changed , I am wondering if there is any risk to the transmission if flushing as BMW was determined to have it sealed to its early demise.

If flushing is not recommended, what about draining without removing the pan and refill with a cheaper transmission fluid and run the car for a week so the old fluid mixes with the new and then replace the sump, gaskets and fill with the BMW fluid?

Apparently when changing only part of the fluid is replaced.
There's no such thing as a "sealed" transmission. IMHO manufacturers; not only BMW; use terms like sealed and lifetime so they can claim low maintenance costs. I had my 2012 trans flushed a year or so ago at my dealer and will have my 2014 flushed within the next 10K miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Drain fluid, replace filter (pan), refill with new fluid and set level according to the procedure no less often than every 100,000km. That's what ZF says to do - not much need to survey the Internet. No need to "flush" (the term can mean a lot of things) if you do it at the proper interval or sooner. It seems that a drain/replace changes a higher percentage of fluid on the 8HP compared to most other transmissions I've worked on. If it's not overdue for some reason, "flushing" can just be asking for collateral damage.
Appreciate 1
johnhva56.50