2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help on 2011 BMW 535i Muffler Delete

04-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Lightningfastbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Help on 2011 BMW 535i Muffler Delete

2011 BMW 535i (non M-Sport)

My car is completely stock and I’m looking to make it sound more “aggressive.” Been reading about a muffler delete and have decided this might be the best option. Looking for a DIY option I would be able to do at home.

My idea is to cut a 3” section off the pipes that lead to the muffler thus causing a exhaust “leak” and making it sound more aggressive. In theory I want to leave the mufflers where they are after cutting the 3” section of piping. As I want the mufflers and it’s tips to stay where they are so that it looks like it has a exhaust from the outside.

I don’t have a jack or lift but my friend has one of those garage car stackers (hope you know what I mean lol) that I can use. Would the mufflers be safe and secure after cutting the section of piping off? Think it would have mounts but I’m not to sure. Haven’t gotten the chance to look under the car yet.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningfastbmw View Post
2011 BMW 535i (non M-Sport)

My car is completely stock and I’m looking to make it sound more “aggressive.” Been reading about a muffler delete and have decided this might be the best option. Looking for a DIY option I would be able to do at home.

My idea is to cut a 3” section off the pipes that lead to the muffler thus causing a exhaust “leak” and making it sound more aggressive. In theory I want to leave the mufflers where they are after cutting the 3” section of piping. As I want the mufflers and it’s tips to stay where they are so that it looks like it has a exhaust from the outside.

I don’t have a jack or lift but my friend has one of those garage car stackers (hope you know what I mean lol) that I can use. Would the mufflers be safe and secure after cutting the section of piping off? Think it would have mounts but I’m not to sure. Haven’t gotten the chance to look under the car yet.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
You would probably need to secure the muffler where you made the cut.

That said, you will be allowing exhaust to enter the passenger compartment with the exhaust exiting below the car. I would either do it the right way by welding or clamping in a section where the muffler lives or leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I would recommend taking the whole mufflers out and putting in piping + exhaust tips.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Also, I notice that you live in LA? You may want to check local regulations because my understanding is that CA is cracking down on loud exhaust modifications, and I assume total removal of the mufflers would definitely qualify for their attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Also, I notice that you live in LA? You may want to check local regulations because my understanding is that CA is cracking down on loud exhaust modifications, and I assume total removal of the mufflers would definitely qualify for their attention.
That is correct. It's also not just a fix-it-ticket anymore. Besides having to have a special entity sign-off on the "repair," there is a $1K fine!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

ah being in Cali you're better off doing it right. I'd go with a Performance Exhaust from BMW or find a used M5 mufflers. you'll be pissed if you get popped for no mufflers and have to pay that $1k
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]

That's mine... nowhere near loud enough to draw the attention of cops.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Lightningfastbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post

Wow that sounds awesome! Is it only a muffler delete or resonator as well? Also how much did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They don't check just a cold start.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that sounds awesome! Is it only a muffler delete or resonator as well? Also how much did it cost?
Quote:
Quote:

Just a muffler delete, and it was around $120 with tips and everything
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:

They don't check just a cold start.

Quote:
Quote:

That's as loud as my car gets pretty much, you could floor it and it's really no louder than any other stock sports car
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
F10Drewski
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i

Quote:

hey buddy I'm in Jax and I was wondering where did you do the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Drewski View Post
Quote:

hey buddy I'm in Jax and I was wondering where did you do the exhaust?
I live in Ocala got it done locally but any good muffler shop fan do it it's pretty simple on these cars
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

sir please don't just cut your exhaust I will sound like shit and Drone sound will drive you nuts
just save some money and buy appropriate exhaust
      10-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
MaximumFreckles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Msport

I went with a muffler delete, but have resonators. It is more aggressive like I hoped, but doesn't drone and sounds completely normal for regular driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #16
F10Drewski
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I live in Ocala got it done locally but any good muffler shop fan do it it's pretty simple on these cars
okay I'll look into it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

been on this board for awhile and seen many members post their vids, impressions and results of a muffler delete. I can only pull away from this that everyone has a certain tolerance to drone. Muffler Delete was always noted as being notorious for drone but there's also many members who say it's not as bad and some saying there's no drone. than there's those who do report the dreaded drone so I guess everyone interprets what drone is to them. i don't know how i would feel about just cutting the pipes and leaving the mufflers to hang. tho there's 2 hanger supports i'm sure it'll be bouncing around or swaying left to right or even front and back? you could install some exhaust cutouts activated by a wireless evc

here's the module and remotes for the EVC
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
F10Drewski
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
been on this board for awhile and seen many members post their vids, impressions and results of a muffler delete. I can only pull away from this that everyone has a certain tolerance to drone. Muffler Delete was always noted as being notorious for drone but there's also many members who say it's not as bad and some saying there's no drone. than there's those who do report the dreaded drone so I guess everyone interprets what drone is to them. i don't know how i would feel about just cutting the pipes and leaving the mufflers to hang. tho there's 2 hanger supports i'm sure it'll be bouncing around or swaying left to right or even front and back? you could install some exhaust cutouts activated by a wireless evc

here's the module and remotes for the EVC
what a clean setup!
Appreciate 1