2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Swapping Base for Harmon K speakers - Need advice!

09-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
H1 NPW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D

Swapping Base for Harmon K speakers - Need advice!

First post on the forum... very excited to be picking up my first 5 series next week
So I've bought HK mid (door) and tweeters to replace the base door speaker. Need to keep costs to a minimum so am going to swap them over myself. My question is do I need to a crossover and if so what type?
Cheers
Nigel
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1 NPW View Post
First post on the forum... very excited to be picking up my first 5 series next week
So I've bought HK mid (door) and tweeters to replace the base door speaker. Need to keep costs to a minimum so am going to swap them over myself. My question is do I need to a crossover and if so what type?
Cheers
Nigel
If your car didn't have HK from factory, you might need need new door cards/trim panels for rear as the rear doors on base audio do not have speakers in them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
H1 NPW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D

I’m only going to replace the front speakers. I have an open my as to whether I’ll need to fit an amplifier with a high level input. I’ll see what it sounds like without first.
The more I think about my own question, the more I think I should fit a crossover
Cheers
Nigel
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Hi

I previously udertook the same upgrade base > HK speakers front and rear.

You will need tweeter sails for the front doors,a set of plastic trim removers and the appropriate torx headed drivers.

Rears - you will need a few mounts and screws to fit the Hk mids/tweeters.

I run the HK set up for over 18months, before I upgraded to an Eton DSP system, Eton front speakers and Eton Subs. I kept the HK rears.

During the 18months I never run into any issues (CIC system) and the tweeters certainly raised the clarity of the voice.

I didnt use any crossover, there is a filter inline between the HK mid range and the HK tweeter.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0