2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 530D sliding round bends

09-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Snowy2021
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10 2013

530D sliding round bends

Hi - I am a new owner of 2013 530D F10 LCI.

Last week I clipped a kerb with the back passenger side wheel at low speeds whilst turning left. About 3 minutes after that I came to a roundabout (dry sunny day) and the back end slid out a bit - I put it down to oil on the road.

It hasn't felt right since (but that could be me).

It has been raining the last few days and I have noticed that in the wet the handling doesn't feel right. When I am going around a roundabout or a bend, if I power on even slightly I can feel the back end slide a little. It almost feels like a puncture (it isn't I checked).

Is this normal ? I thought it was perhaps me coming from FWD to RWD (last time I had a RWD was about 30 years ago).

Any advice much appreciated. Tyre pressures (17" Pirelli RFT's) are fine. Bolts are secure. It just feels "squishy" and "slidey" round bends. I have to power off as I feel like I might lose it. And when I said "power on even slightly", I mean only slightly - Not flooring the throttle.

Might I have damaged something ? And if so, what ?

Any advice much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
You should get your 4 wheel alignment checked, as it is very possible that you bent something on the rear passenger suspension. My experience is that our F10 rear ends under normal driving do not slide out. In fact, getting mine to oversteer is next to impossible unless I disable the nanny electronics for handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

I second the alignment check. These cars use eccentric bolts to set toe/camber and can be send out of adjustment with a small bump from a curb.

This happened to my wife's E90 a few weeks ago; bumped a curb just enough to do slight cosmetic damage to the wheel (curb rash) and threw out the rear toe.

A dead giveaway is if your steering doesn't track straight (wheel is off center when traveling straight), though this is not always present.
Appreciate 0