2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Do You Like The Handling Of Your F10

05-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Do You Like The Handling Of Your F10

what sort of person goes for the 5 series? do you want luxury or performance? I have a rare 2011 528i RWD + NA inline 6 for this year and model only.

In all honesty, it is not the sportiest suspesnion. its extremely capable and handles very well especially given its size, but it doesnt like to be driven aggressively and is not very "eager." this may be how it is with low speed, but once you attack higher speed corners the chassis of this vehicle really shines. feels far lighter then it really is, nimble, just awesome. mine is RWD and it oversteers beautifully at the limit. but below 60KM/H so much understeer very heavy and floaty. but some glimmers of BMW's finest days of chassis/steering tuning shines through but its honestly unfortunate that I have to do such illegal shit with it for the chassis to shine. its rides great on the highway and was a god damn tank through last winter.. - just a somewhat sporty cruiser. I long for the days of the e39.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

this is actually my first BMW as most of my friends all had 3/4 series so at the time i knew i was looking for a full size sedan for daily commuting but also i wanted to modify it for performance and what not but still wanted the luxury side of it. from my sig i have a 2011 535i RWD and i can totally tell the difference from where i have her now and when she was completely stock. when she was stock i could honestly say cornering her fat a$$ was just crazy scary as she had a lots of body roll and sway when i hit those hard 360 on/off freeway ramps. when i lowered her on KW's the suspension felt really tight as i can now feel a bit more of the road now. before i felt like it was floating because the suspension just felt really soft. but with her now hugging the road with my drop a little more that what most people like and sitting on 21's 255 fronts and 295 rears i now hit those 360 ramps with ease and there's just a little bit of body roll but nothing to where i can't control her. i'm sure upgrading to some H&R sway bars will take care of that. though i wish i could've found a 550 to get into i really do love what my 535i has to offer

also, adding a nice custom steering wheel makes driving your car that much more SWEETER!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-04-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      05-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Compared to E-chassis cars I had I tolerate wife's F10 just barely.

Steering is numb, brakes lack feel, and too much roll in corners. Drove the new G30 540i at BMW Ultimate Driver and it still drives closer to what I expect an Audi A6 or MB E class to drive like. Will probably replace her car with a Macan in a couple years because even she complains too much roll on highway sweepers.

But "progress" and mass market appeal is needed to make profit, BMW sales numbers are a testament. More people care about a comfortable cruiser than heavy work-out-your-arms tight steering E39 had or the I'll steer with throttle chassis playfulness of the E3x generation.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      05-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I love this M-Sport suspension. I don't know if it has progressive rate springs but I put them on my last car and these feel very similar. I did a drive last year through the mountains in West Virginia an Pa. and this car handled like a dream!
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

The handling on my F10 is definitely a mixed bag. Concerning sporty handling, the 550 is too nose heavy and definitely isn't nimble and really doesn't inspire any kind of confidence when the roads get twisty. I realize with the xdrive, I have the base suspension and crappy RFTs which certainly doesn't help with providing sporty handling. Concerning the handling in normal driving (especially highway driving), the 550 does a fantastic job of providing a smooth comfortable ride and is a true joy to drive.

I hate to say it but to me the F10 feels and drives like a Mercedes. I realize it was BMW's goal to make the F10 5 series more like a Mercedes to increase their sales. I think they succeeded with that goal but the days of BMW building a sports sedan that would trounce all competition in the driving category unfortunately are not coming back.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
In all honesty, it is not the sportiest suspesnion. its extremely capable and handles very well especially given its size, but it doesnt like to be driven aggressively and is not very "eager." this may be how it is with low speed, but once you attack higher speed corners the chassis of this vehicle really shines. feels far lighter then it really is, nimble, just awesome.
It's meant/designed to be exactly what you're describing. With slightly softer base suspension and with xDrive. Fantastic highway cruiser that really shines at crazy speeds.... or... ahem... so I'm told.
Base suspension or xDrive is not exactly what you would consider to be nimble car.

But....

It's been said over and over again, to get the best handling from today's BMW, and this is true for any of the models out there, but especially car as big and heavy as 5 series, proper configuration/options are the key. xDrive Vs. RWD, weight difference between different models, DHP and/or M-sport suspension all make significant difference to how these cars handle. I've driven few, but once I found RWD with DHP (and manual), there was simply no looking back. Once you experiment with different tires, going from runflats to high performance regular tires, you're, in my personal opinion, talking about vehicle that's just fantastically well balanced. It's no 2 series, but it was never meant to be, and given the size differences, it shouldn't be either.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
The handling on my F10 is definitely a mixed bag. Concerning sporty handling, the 550 is too nose heavy and definitely isn't nimble and really doesn't inspire any kind of confidence when the roads get twisty. I realize with the xdrive, I have the base suspension and crappy RFTs which certainly doesn't help with providing sporty handling. Concerning the handling in normal driving (especially highway driving), the 550 does a fantastic job of providing a smooth comfortable ride and is a true joy to drive.

I hate to say it but to me the F10 feels and drives like a Mercedes. I realize it was BMW's goal to make the F10 5 series more like a Mercedes to increase their sales. I think they succeeded with that goal but the days of BMW building a sports sedan that would trounce all competition in the driving category unfortunately are not coming back.
agreed. I definitely have no issue with nose heavy with the lighter NA straight 6 under the hood and RWD, but it still feels heavy.

if you are going fast and the road feels curvy, man this thing handles amazing! feels so light and nimble around quick sweepers. drifts nicely at the limit but mainly its just for straight line.. needs coilovers to handle well. I think it is the soft suspension holding it back because the chassis itself feels great.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
It's meant/designed to be exactly what you're describing. With slightly softer base suspension and with xDrive. Fantastic highway cruiser that really shines at crazy speeds.... or... ahem... so I'm told.
Base suspension or xDrive is not exactly what you would consider to be nimble car.

But....

It's been said over and over again, to get the best handling from today's BMW, and this is true for any of the models out there, but especially car as big and heavy as 5 series, proper configuration/options are the key. xDrive Vs. RWD, weight difference between different models, DHP and/or M-sport suspension all make significant difference to how these cars handle. I've driven few, but once I found RWD with DHP (and manual), there was simply no looking back. Once you experiment with different tires, going from runflats to high performance regular tires, you're, in my personal opinion, talking about vehicle that's just fantastically well balanced. It's no 2 series, but it was never meant to be, and given the size differences, it shouldn't be either.
I am RWD

the car doesnt feel TOO heavy. if I think my 3900 pound base model is heavy, there is much worse. It's a fun handling car for sure, but it feels more like a mercedes then a true BMW. the best way to describe the handling is mercedes suspension with a hint of BMW's finest days somewhere in the chassis. with that being said, I love attacking quick high speed corners with this car. this is where the chassis really shines and feels at home.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
Compared to E-chassis cars I had I tolerate wife's F10 just barely.

Steering is numb, brakes lack feel, and too much roll in corners. Drove the new G30 540i at BMW Ultimate Driver and it still drives closer to what I expect an Audi A6 or MB E class to drive like. Will probably replace her car with a Macan in a couple years because even she complains too much roll on highway sweepers.

But "progress" and mass market appeal is needed to make profit, BMW sales numbers are a testament. More people care about a comfortable cruiser than heavy work-out-your-arms tight steering E39 had or the I'll steer with throttle chassis playfulness of the E3x generation.
strange, my f10 has pretty heavy steering. it feels like e90 but without the precise road feel mid corner. however, in all honestly I've never really had an issue with the steering. it firms up nicely mid corner and gives you enough feedback to countersteer quickly and safely. the brakes are extremely touchy, strong, fairly easy to modulate and to me at least have a TON of road feel when you are hard on the brakes.

but yes.. the suspension is too soft on this car and is what really holds this car back. I will get bilstein sport struts and eibach springs for this car one day and I will be happy
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

I can honestly tell you, on my commute into the office, I dread negotiating highway off-ramps. I have a 535i xDrive M-Sport, and I have to prepare myself for the initial body roll when I negotiate the ramp. I will not make this mistake of skipping the adaptive suspension when my lease is up!!
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
I can honestly tell you, on my commute into the office, I dread negotiating highway off-ramps. I have a 535i xDrive M-Sport, and I have to prepare myself for the initial body roll when I negotiate the ramp. I will not make this mistake of skipping the adaptive suspension when my lease is up!!

this car has to potential to handle like a BMW (good weight distribution, available in RWD, alumiunum suspension components) but the soft suspension really holds the car back from handling like a true BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
ItBloo
Fish Gill
Rep
Drives: 2018 Accord Sport | 1995 540i

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
The off-ramp to work has a posted 20mph exit. My last car (2014 Mazda 3) took it like a champ at 40mph, though I could s*** a bit sometimes.

I got my 2012 535i M-Sport with some super crap Accelera tires. Massive roll and tire flex. Never felt comfortable at 40mph. Popped on my new 20s and some Hankooks, now can bomb that exit at 45 with a little brake dive in the beginning. Stock, comfortable but not a sports car. Simple mods, makit that much better.

Putting on H&R springs this week, so I'm expecting even better handling...I hope.
      05-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBloo View Post
The off-ramp to work has a posted 20mph exit. My last car (2014 Mazda 3) took it like a champ at 40mph, though I could s*** a bit sometimes.

I got my 2012 535i M-Sport with some super crap Accelera tires. Massive roll and tire flex. Never felt comfortable at 40mph. Popped on my new 20s and some Hankooks, now can bomb that exit at 45 with a little brake dive in the beginning. Stock, comfortable but not a sports car. Simple mods, makit that much better.

Putting on H&R springs this week, so I'm expecting even better handling...I hope.
I strongly advise you dont put lowering springs on your factory struts - you will ruin them. those lowering springs are designed to be used with the stock dampers it will ride and handle like shit.

if you want good handling, you gotta do it right the first time with coilovers man.

I would also suggest looking into bilstein sport struts and ACS lowering springs its worth the extra money.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
First BMW. I do like it in sport. The car is heavy and you can feel it. Compared to my A5 I can really throw that car around like a toy.
      05-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I really like the setup on my F11 535i wagon.

I'm RWD, running Adaptive Drive, 18" summer wheels, and being a wagon have self levelling rear air suspension.

Excellent handling chassis in the middle mode, (Normal/Comfort), across a wide range of driving conditions. Drop it into Sport mode and it as every bit as good as my E39 540i wagon on M-tech suspension.

Yes it is a big car, F11 535i weight is similar to my E39 540i, so weight is not the penalty for me that some will find when they are comparing models. In my experience AD helps shrink the car, gives a more agile feel, partly due to a near neutral handling balance, only turning to slight understeer as you add some serious speed and extra cornering forces.

Near flat cornering, due to the active roll control, is the 'star', changes the whole feel of the F10/F11 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
this car has to potential to handle like a BMW (good weight distribution, available in RWD, alumiunum suspension components) but the soft suspension really holds the car back from handling like a true BMW.
I tested F10 models before buying my F11 wagon. I found the standard suspension just didn't cope with the sort of roads I drive. The Adaptive Drive optioned car, by comparison, (BTW, both 530d examples), fulfilled my needs almost perfectly. AD made for a totally different car, the active suspension taking control of the chassis across a very wide range of driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #17
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i miss my e39 540i and the way it handled, but no one else in my family enjoyed that...

so the f10 does with the ACS springs and michelin PSS actually handles pretty decent.

I may upgrade to the eibach or h&r sway bars...but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #18
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I tested F10 models before buying my F11 wagon. I found the standard suspension just didn't cope with the sort of roads I drive. The Adaptive Drive optioned car, by comparison, (BTW, both 530d examples), fulfilled my needs almost perfectly. AD made for a totally different car, the active suspension taking control of the chassis across a very wide range of driving conditions.
it all goes down to the suspension you got. once i eventually get the bilstein sports + acs springs in, then I will be 100% happy with how it handles but for now its good enough. I like how it rides.

the goal is to supercharge my n52 and install catless headers.. then the coilovers. would be an absolute beast with RWD and look amazing on my new style 269 rims. these new wheels made me fall in love with my car, its rare spec, gorgeous colour combo everything. it's a damn shame I cant tune my ECU.

could have bought a 335, settled with a rare 528i. couldnt be happier with anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
i miss my e39 540i and the way it handled, but no one else in my family enjoyed that...

so the f10 does with the ACS springs and michelin PSS actually handles pretty decent.

I may upgrade to the eibach or h&r sway bars...but so far so good.
you want to avoid lowering springs on factory dampers man.

sway bars are only for after coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #19
Enpethan
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
this is actually my first BMW as most of my friends all had 3/4 series so at the time i knew i was looking for a full size sedan for daily commuting but also i wanted to modify it for performance and what not but still wanted the luxury side of it. from my sig i have a 2011 535i RWD and i can totally tell the difference from where i have her now and when she was completely stock. when she was stock i could honestly say cornering her fat a$$ was just crazy scary as she had a lots of body roll and sway when i hit those hard 360 on/off freeway ramps. when i lowered her on KW's the suspension felt really tight as i can now feel a bit more of the road now. before i felt like it was floating because the suspension just felt really soft. but with her now hugging the road with my drop a little more that what most people like and sitting on 21's 255 fronts and 295 rears i now hit those 360 ramps with ease and there's just a little bit of body roll but nothing to where i can't control her. i'm sure upgrading to some H&R sway bars will take care of that. though i wish i could've found a 550 to get into i really do love what my 535i has to offer

also, adding a nice custom steering wheel makes driving your car that much more SWEETER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...305_172250.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...107_144057.jpg[/IMG]
Where did you get the cover of steering wheel?
      05-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enpethan View Post
Where did you get the cover of steering wheel?
it's not a cover. it's a custom steering wheel made by Ledermanz

Here's my build thread when i first got it:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195132
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212507

here's his email address for contact:
grigul@inbox.lv
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #21
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

How do I like the handling of my F'10? Less than my M235i or 2 M3's I've owned in the past lol!

Its fine for what I want out of an EDD right now, I knew exactly what I was getting and what I wasn't getting. I've gotten smarter buying cars after all these years lol!

But it's not a great handling car imo.
      05-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It probably comes down to the driver and the suspension your on? Back when I was in San Diego I use to do a lot of canyon carving up in the Palomar/Julian Mtns while picking up Crumb Apple Pies at Mom's Bakery! So I would push my Turbo charged Integra pretty aggressively to where there were a couple of times I thought I'd fly off the mountain and kill myself lol! But with the F10 I was able to see the limits when she was stock to where she is now. So I believe with the right setup and the skills you have as a driver really makes a difference on how you can handle your car
Appreciate 2
STR8-6IX536.00
cdmulders310.00