2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Owners, does your car hesitate or jerk at 0-10 mph??

10-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #89
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Thumbs down Drove a different 528 today

Gang,

Today I returned to my dealer and drove a different 2011 528i and it did the same thing as mine does. I am not happy about this, but it does seem to be common with the 5 series. This problem along with the excessive brake dust almost puts this car in the same category as a $12K KIA. Not good in my book.............!!

1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #90
tardisode
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i

^^what did your dealer say about the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #91
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Angry That it's normal...............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisode View Post
^^what did your dealer say about the problem?

That it is normal.....................! To me that is totally unacceptable as an excuse. I then said to them, "You need to drive other brands instead of just BMW's and see that it is not normal" And they said "We can only go by what our Tech's tell us what is normal" To me that is BS...............!!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #92
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
That it is normal.....................! To me that is totally unacceptable as an excuse. I then said to them, "You need to drive other brands instead of just BMW's and see that it is not normal" And they said "We can only go by what our Tech's tell us what is normal" To me that is BS...............!!

My dealer told me this same BS. exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #93
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Same here... dealer says it's normal. He says "it's the gears shifting, give it time".

Yeah.. Right!!

Anyway, now that they're recalling 07-10 (35i) Engines, I'm starting to feel that a 2011 recall for this problem is just a round the corner.

got 2500 KM on it so far.... and it's not getting any smoother.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #94
tardis
Rep
Drives: e39 530i

Taking mine in tomorrow. I'm guessing they won't find a fault. It still does it occasionally and once in awhile it jerks when I'm braking! Strange...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #95
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc View Post
Hi,

Proud owner here of a 1 week old 535i! Space Gray on Oyster Dakota Leather with the anthracite wood... Premium 1, Premium 2, Convenience Package and Cold Weather Package. I love the suspension, the NAV, the ultra quiet cabin, and the all the little features that make this car so amazing! But there's one problem.

When I test drove it, I drove it like I stole it and red lined it at every chance I got! And it's a great peformer. The problem is, in real world driving I rarely get the chance to do that. Instead, I'm finding that at VERY low speeds, the car has a hard time figuring out what I want.... Idiling along in traffic and then lightly touching the gas either gives no response, or too much of a response as it ramps up and I lurch forward. From a stop it's the worst. Driving through the neighborhood, parking lots, or stopped at a light, I get a very unlinear acceleration response when just slowly moving forward. Yes, the 0-60 is amazing. ... It's that gentle touch of the pedal that keeps my occupant's heads from jerking that I'm not able to attain!

Is anyone else having this problem? Took it to the dealer and the technician who rode with me and also drove it said he got what I was saying and kind of recreated it too, but didn't offer a solution. The shop has not seen any of these cars come through for any reason because it's so new... so I'm looking for any other owners who are also having this problem?! Are any of you experiencing the transmission hunting for the right speed, or the sensation of a jerk as the engine over compensates, or is it me??

Trying to be a smooth operator!! Thanks for your responses.
like when i got my M3 the tendancy is to back off when it starts to jerk. that only exacerbates the problem. i found by not backing off it eliminates any jerking. never happens to me anymore. also just got the software upgrade to reduce lag. and that has helped tremendousley. when you feel a jerk floor it
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #96
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but Mercedes has a very similar problem with its latest E Class. When at idle or low speeds the car sometimes doesn't respond immediately to throttle inputs. I experienced it myself when test driving a E350 CDI. I had stopped at a roundabout and opened the throttle to move forward. Nothing happened for some time before it decided to move - by which time I had to stamp on the brakes because a car was bearing down on me.

The problem was down to the Mercedes "Blue Efficiency" system which cuts down on fuel consumption and emissions. It takes the car out of gear when its at a standstill or travelling at low speeds - so when you open the throttle the gearbox takes some time to engage 1st gear.

I wonder if the F10 has the same problem? It doesn't explain why it seemingly doesn't affect the diesel cars though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #97
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Angry German OEM Problem........??

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but Mercedes has a very similar problem with its latest E Class. When at idle or low speeds the car sometimes doesn't respond immediately to throttle inputs. I experienced it myself when test driving a E350 CDI. I had stopped at a roundabout and opened the throttle to move forward. Nothing happened for some time before it decided to move - by which time I had to stamp on the brakes because a car was bearing down on me.

The problem was down to the Mercedes "Blue Efficiency" system which cuts down on fuel consumption and emissions. It takes the car out of gear when its at a standstill or travelling at low speeds - so when you open the throttle the gearbox takes some time to engage 1st gear.

I wonder if the F10 has the same problem? It doesn't explain why it seemingly doesn't affect the diesel cars though.
What you are saying sounds like this may be a German manufacturing problem. Has anyone driven an Audi and noticed the same thing...?

Stillwell maybe disappointed
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #98
tardis
Rep
Drives: e39 530i

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong but they want to keep it maybe a day or two in a week or so to see if they can replicate it. It hasn't been doing it quite as much. We shall see...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #99
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
[B]What you are saying sounds like this may be a German manufacturing problem.
Inconcievable!

The only jerking I can find is that my passengers often complain of their heads getting jerked out of its socket from 0-10mph launch.

Seriously though, I hope you have a good outcome to your situation from the dealer investigations.
      11-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #100
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
They want you to pay for loaners?
They would not even ask me to pay for one
Car's in for a fault "They supply transport" end of.
      11-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #101
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Question Say TOYOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Inconcievable!

The only jerking I can find is that my passengers often complain of their heads getting jerked out of its socket from 0-10mph launch.

Seriously though, I hope you have a good outcome to your situation from the dealer investigations.
I hear what you are saying, but drive by wire is not fool proof.... Can anyone say TOYOTA.............?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #102
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but drive by wire is not fool proof.... Can anyone say TOYOTA.............?
What about Toyota?
Majority of those "incidence" was driver's error. The main problem Toyota faced was that they could not tell the truth, 'cos being perceived as putting all the blames on the drivers would cause an even bigger uproar.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #103
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I didn't read all 5 pages, but dont you guys think the problem is from the brake hold option? Mybe there is a delay before the brakes are released. I know when the brake is pressed, the ecu will reduce power untill the brakes are fully released. This is to prevent another toyota dizaster. Does the lag happen when brake hold is disabeled? My car is on order so I dont have first hand experience, but did not notice anything in the 4 f10s i test drove.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #104
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sport, Exec, Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
I didn't read all 5 pages, but dont you guys think the problem is from the brake hold option? Mybe there is a delay before the brakes are released. I know when the brake is pressed, the ecu will reduce power untill the brakes are fully released. This is to prevent another toyota dizaster. Does the lag happen when brake hold is disabeled? My car is on order so I dont have first hand experience, but did not notice anything in the 4 f10s i test drove.
Nothing to do with brake hold option.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #105
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Running into the same problem with a week old 535i Xdrive (500km).
I tried using manual shifting to verify that it's not simply a transmission hesitating between gears. In "manual" mode, in first gear, I get the same behavior as automatic. Switching to "Sport" mode does not help either. It does subside a bit when the car is warmer. But otherwise, at around 4-7km/h there's this "Shudder" or "Jerk". Very annoying in an otherwise truly fantastic car.

It is possible to smooth it out or (rarely) eliminate it altogether by carefully modulating the throttle (just as others said before - keep pressing the throttle a bit harder without letting off). But this is hardly a solution, just a work around.

I'll take it in for inspection, but based on feedback in this thread, I am less than optimistic they'll provide a solution.

Anyone else managed to figure it out? Did it disappear completely or partially after a while?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #106
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I am currently working with my dealer to find a solution. They reset the adaptive features of the transmission about a month ago. It did help for awhile, but I think the problem is returning. I have made them aware this week and asked for our next step. There is mention of this problem on this site, bimmerfest & also Edmunds. It should be getting to the point that BMW cannot deny there is a problem with so many people complaining. On the Edmunds site there is also a phone number to call HQ to complain. I am waiting to hear back from my dealer before calling. This is a real shame since driving the car is great once you get above 10 mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #107
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
What about Toyota?
Majority of those "incidence" was driver's error. The main problem Toyota faced was that they could not tell the truth, 'cos being perceived as putting all the blames on the drivers would cause an even bigger uproar.
This is exactly correct.

I test drove a rwd 535i and asked the CA about the delay between throttle and response and he told me it was because the car was starting in second gear. Didn't seem right to me but I've noticed this on a lot car. It concerns me.. but over on Bimmerfest they're insisting it goes away with time.
      12-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #108
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

With 8400 miles since July, it does not seem to be going away on its own.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #109
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

I dropped by the dealership today, described the problem and was promptly offered to have a technician join me for a drive. His diagnosis: it's coming from the "Transfer Case" which is part of the car's Xdrive system. According to him, it's coming down to torque transfer from the rear (default state when the car is in full stop) to the front wheels, almost immediately after the car starts driving (at whatever transfer ratio this car does it). He does not know of any solutions and acknowledged the absence of this problem with previous Xdrive models. He claimed that it's no totally impossible that BMW will try and fix the issue via software. But he had no knowledge if it's possible or if they'll ever do it.

He did propose that if I'm not satisfied with his explanation, they'll arrange for back to back test drives, one with another Xdrive, and the other with a standard RWD (it is a bit odd however that some of you do not have and Xdrive).

I did notice that the "shudder" is substantially diminished (but does not disappear) once the car is reaching its engine's optimal operating temperature (in Toronto's frigid temperatures it takes at least 15 minutes). I will try and live with this one, while keeping an eye on forums and bulletins. Otherwise, this is a lovely car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #110
hbakor
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i X Line

I just got my 528 last week and having the same problem toke it back the next day to sales rep who sold it to me and he was surprised to see this problem for the first time, he told me wait until 2500 KM and it may go away.

This is so frustrating
Appreciate 0