2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2012 550i OIL PAN GASKET

07-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

2012 550i OIL PAN GASKET

Wishful thinking: Is the oil pan for this model easily removed if one needs to replace the oil pan gasket?

I spent sometime searching parts and repair manuals to better understand what is involved, no luck with the specific details.

I am hoping I would not have to remove suspension crossmember as it seems to be the case with other models.

Have anyone seen or done it on a 2012 550i ?

Thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Crossmember has to come down or at least enough to clear the oil pan out. As far as info on the procedure goes not much out there. There is one guy on YouTube that shows what needs to come off but again not actually showing step by step.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep

update:

Lower Oil pan gasket replacement.

For 2012 550i Xdrive, a very pleasant surprise
No need to touch the Cross member

Simply remove stiffening plate, only a few bolts, and that's it, the lower oil pan is fully exposed, nothing in the way.

Replacing the oil pan gasket seems to be a straight forward easy job.

Upon some research it makes sense to me adding additional precaution:

1- Use gasket sealant (not gasket maker) on the rubber side to help sealing the gasket
2- Condition the gasket rubber part.
3- Replace all bolts with new ones, these aluminum screws once removed, replacement is almost mandatory.
4- as long as you are there replace the oil drain bolt.
5- Do not reuse the oil, even if you had just changed, mine was under 2,000 miles, I replaced anyway, oil filter as well to match the it with the next oil change.
6- In some models like the 3 series, it is a good idea to check the internal oil pump bolts, apparently if over or under torqued they can come loose and for sure will finish your engine. Replacement might be a good idea specially high mileage car.

As long you are under the car, differential (front and rear) oil change is usually neglected, it is easy and cheap to do it.

and the $1500 that would go to the stealership is now back in your pocket.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep

My previous posting was prior to opening the oil pan.

I have already opened and inspected. As mentioned, it is straight forward.

The oil pump is easy to inspect once the oil pan is removed. Check bolts and chain, other visual inspections won't hurt.

I checked for debris and other junk, mine was very clean at this time.

Upon a lot research and comments from people, gasket maker might be cheaper than the original gasket. I had already purchased the gasket prior to the research, however gasket sealant might be a good idea, sealant is not the same as gasket maker, sealant is used to small imperfections to the surface, make sure you get one for oil.

just remember 2012 550i x drive, other series and years might be different.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
kolbycheesey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerroad View Post
update:

Lower Oil pan gasket replacement.

For 2012 550i Xdrive, a very pleasant surprise
No need to touch the Cross member

Simply remove stiffening plate, only a few bolts, and that's it, the lower oil pan is fully exposed, nothing in the way.

Replacing the oil pan gasket seems to be a straight forward easy job.

Upon some research it makes sense to me adding additional precaution:

1- Use gasket sealant (not gasket maker) on the rubber side to help sealing the gasket
2- Condition the gasket rubber part.
3- Replace all bolts with new ones, these aluminum screws once removed, replacement is almost mandatory.
4- as long as you are there replace the oil drain bolt.
5- Do not reuse the oil, even if you had just changed, mine was under 2,000 miles, I replaced anyway, oil filter as well to match the it with the next oil change.
6- In some models like the 3 series, it is a good idea to check the internal oil pump bolts, apparently if over or under torqued they can come loose and for sure will finish your engine. Replacement might be a good idea specially high mileage car.

As long you are under the car, differential (front and rear) oil change is usually neglected, it is easy and cheap to do it.

and the $1500 that would go to the stealership is now back in your pocket.
Did you happen to make a video of this, also sorry for reviving an old post
Appreciate 0