2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Armrest USB Port

10-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Armrest USB Port

Hello all,

I have a MY13 528i and I'm having issues with the USB armrest. I searched both the 3/5 Series forums to no avail, so now I'm reaching out. In order for the vehicle to recognize the device connected. I have to jimmy/wiggle/play with the cable connected to the port until the device shows up on the screen. Some times it takes a few times to hold and I have disconnect and reconnect the cable and slowly close the arm rest flaps.

Ideas:
- I don't think its a cable issue - I used 5 apple branded cables (all new)
- Don't think its a phone or OS issue either. (iPhone 11 Pro Max iOS 13.1.2)
- I think it may be the contact leads in the female end of the USB in the armrest.

Thoughts?
What do you guys think?
Can that port be replaced?

*Yes I know I can use BT but I prefer/desire the quality of the USB along with album details associated

Any help is greatly appreciated.
      10-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

How did it work before the upgrade to ios13? And have you tried other USB devices like a flash drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLife14 View Post
How did it work before the upgrade to ios13? And have you tried other USB devices like a flash drive?
The same, I've been having to play with the cable for sometime even before I upgraded my phone. I'm just trying to find a solution now. Yes I have used a flash drive to update iDrive and had no issues
      10-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Same issue. It's not the car. I replaced my Apple cable with a braided cable and I've had no problems since then. My initial troubleshooting pointed to a pinch point in the Apple-brand cable that causes a temporary disconnection if the cable was stressed near one of the joints, which would happen when I folded the cable into the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Same issue. It's not the car. I replaced my Apple cable with a braided cable and I've had no problems since then. My initial troubleshooting pointed to a pinch point in the Apple-brand cable that causes a temporary disconnection if the cable was stressed near one of the joints, which would happen when I folded the cable into the armrest.
cdmulders Even if the cable(s) are new? I tried 5, had to play with the actual USB connector end in the arm rest and slightly finagle it to populate.

What I just recently discovered was the battery indicator on my iPhone is transitioning back and forth between the black and green icons on initial connection like it's thinking about connecting... That only makes me think it's more the input connectors not liking something

Thoughts????
      10-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_inlife View Post
cdmulders Even if the cable(s) are new? I tried 5, had to play with the actual USB connector end in the arm rest and slightly finagle it to populate.
Thoughts????
Good point. I just replaced one brand new cable but it did solve my problem. You may be on to something if the USB connector in the armrest is at fault and my new cable does not cause the same stress on it as the old one.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Check for debris in the port.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Worst case - It is the USB port, but pretty sure it is cheap part and can be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Check for debris in the port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLife14 View Post
Worst case - It is the USB port, but pretty sure it is cheap part and can be replaced.
wcr3d I'll try to use some canned air when I get out of work

XLife14 any recommendations on where to find and buy the part if needed
      10-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Perhaps there's something in the info below that might be of help:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #11
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

If you are going to replace, go to www.realoem.com
Enter your VIN, then search or browse for the part number.
With that you should find a number of places to purchase.
Then use the link above or go to www.newtis.info again,
use your VIN then search or browse, it will have instructions on how to replace.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 01:33 AM   #12
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Don't mean to bring back an old thread from the dead, but I'm experiencing a similar problem. My iDrive system will at times not recognize that a phone is connected via USB port yet the phone shows that it is charging. If OP found resolution, I am curious as to what he found.

Also, any assistance is appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 11:31 PM   #13
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
Don't mean to bring back an old thread from the dead, but I'm experiencing a similar problem. My iDrive system will at times not recognize that a phone is connected via USB port yet the phone shows that it is charging. If OP found resolution, I am curious as to what he found.

Also, any assistance is appreciated!
Hey there man, I'm glad this thread actually came back. I'm having the same problem and I have done loads and loads of research trying to figure it out. My original Apple cable is not working at all… and it used to every once in a while.

Here's the fun part. BMW sells an actual cable that works with the port. The cable has to be able to transfer not only power, but data back to the iDrive system. So you need a relatively beefy one. I'm going to try this Amazon basics heavy duty braided cable tomorrow to see if it works. If not I'll grab something hefty from Best Buy. If neither of those work I will be going to the stealership and asking if they have the iPhone cable for the car. I'll come back here and post again at each step!
      05-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_f10 View Post
Hey there man, I'm glad this thread actually came back. I'm having the same problem and I have done loads and loads of research trying to figure it out. My original Apple cable is not working at all… and it used to every once in a while.

Here's the fun part. BMW sells an actual cable that works with the port. The cable has to be able to transfer not only power, but data back to the iDrive system. So you need a relatively beefy one. I'm going to try this Amazon basics heavy duty braided cable tomorrow to see if it works. If not I'll grab something hefty from Best Buy. If neither of those work I will be going to the stealership and asking if they have the iPhone cable for the car. I'll come back here and post again at each step!
So I was able to find the culprit to my issue and it was the cord itself. It's funny since all I've ever used with F10 (& my prev F22) are Apple brand cords. What's even funnier is the cord still works to charge my phone when paired with their power adapter.

Let me know what you find that works for you. I'm kinda tired of having to buy new cords every year.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So I was able to find the culprit to my issue and it was the cord itself. It's funny since all I've ever used with F10 (& my prev F22) are Apple brand cords. What's even funnier is the cord still works to charge my phone when paired with their power adapter.

Let me know what you find that works for you. I'm kinda tired of having to buy new cords every year.
I tried a few different apple and braided cables last night and none worked… I'll be going to Best Buy maybe today to find another decent cable and see if that works. I'm getting the constant battery flashing symbol on my phone and no connection smh.
      05-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I tried a few different apple and braided cables last night and none worked… I'll be going to Best Buy maybe today to find another decent cable and see if that works. I'm getting the constant battery flashing symbol on my phone and no connection smh.
Did you try opening the phone?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #17
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So the new cable I used finally failed on me last night. I reconnected and didn't seem to have an issue after that. The system seems to be very sensitive if the cable is moved anywhere near my lightning cable connection port.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
So the new cable I used finally failed on me last night. I reconnected and didn't seem to have an issue after that. The system seems to be very sensitive if the cable is moved anywhere near my lightning cable connection port.
Maybe it's the phone's charging port.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 02:58 AM   #19
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Did you try opening the phone?
Yes haha
      05-16-2021, 02:59 AM   #20
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ended up trying another Apple cable and it worked flawlessly. Once. Not sure what the deal is
      05-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #21
valdez
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Ended up trying another Apple cable and it worked flawlessly. Once. Not sure what the deal is
Were the both cables original?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #22
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe; I might have to replace that and see.
Appreciate 0